Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bunch of 2D games, but I can't find a good software GPU so they look normal. Pete's is way too slow (I have yet to get full speed in a game at a 1:1 aspect with my PIII-700/128MB/32MB GeForce DDR), and crops the resolution for Capcom games (384x240 is displayed as 368x240). Kazuya's plugin runs at a good speed, but doesn't have any resolution options, flickers terribly on my system, and crops Capcom resolutions, too. Is there a good software renderer I should try? I'd use VGS, but it doesn't work under Win2K/XP.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Palom, what u said is strange cuz ' i have a pIII 733, 128MB of ram and a Geforce 32MB and Pete Soft pluigin is perfect..i easily reach 60fps on win98 and win2k.
Try to put 16bits color depth, use scanlines (put the blit on if u need to)
and try the appropriating streching method.
I let u try the resolutions...

but trust me, it should work fine

Bye

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Bahamut zero, He needn t that option...
Have u read what I ve just wrote?
With these settings, he should experience more speed.

bye

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I want to play the games in their native resolution for screenshot purposes. I use 16-bit color, 400x300, 1:1 aspect, FPS limiter, and auto frameskip. Can't get much more basic than that. =P If I turn off autoframeskip, the drop in speed is very noticeable--the framerate jumps between 30 and 50, usually staying around 43.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ah...i see

Which plugin are U using?
Try to close all ur programs launched when U play, it takes ressources.

Bye

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Rargh
Which plugin are U using?
Try to close all ur programs launched when U play, it takes ressources.
I'm using Pete's Software plugin (1.51). I'm running Windows XP and have 97-99% free CPU resources. =P The only thing running in the background is Windows Messenger. I grew up on PCs with 640KB of RAM and DOS, so I'm compulsive about keeping as much memory free as possible. ;) Here's my exact PC specs: PIII-700, 128MB SDRAM, 100MHz FSB, 32MB GeForce DDR (default clocks--120MHz and 300MHz I think, I forget), ePSXe program on a 2GB 5400RPM drive, and my ISOs on a 10GB 5400RPM drive (different physical drives, not partitions).

The OpenGL plugin works fine, though--I can get a full 60fps in 1280x1024 in 32-bit color (though I usually stick to 16-bit), but the software plugin just chugs along for some reason. I don't think it has anything to do with my OS, because I can recall having problems with Marvel Vs. Capcom when I was using WinME. Maybe there's just something about my hardware configuration that the plugin doesn't like. =P

I also tried the NakSoft GPU, but it doesn't do what I want it to. 320x240 is too small of a resolution, and 640x480 is too large--I'd like 400x300 (for a native resolution of 384x240). I guess I'll just have to settle with not worrying about screenshots until I get my computer upgraded, whenever that may be. =P OpenGL works well enough just for playing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, to say the truth, the only 2d game that slows down a lot for me is Street fighter Zero3...

All the others work pretty well:

Castelvania symphony of the night
FFC (some glitches however)
Suikoden 2
(others i tried runs well tough but i remenber there wre no problems...)

Perhaps it s a problem w/ ur cdr drive?
Try toplay w/ an iso.
the data transfert rate should be greater.

Hope that ll help.

Bye

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
why don´t u try to change the spu plugin when stay whit pete´s plugin or if it´s only for screenshots, turn of the sound, however, Í have a very slow computer(k6-2 500, 56 mb, sis530 8 mb) and it have a very high speed, whit pete´s soft, just try changing the spu plugin, like null´s or iori´s spu for me the fasters spus
sorry the english i´m spanish

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, to say the truth, the only 2d game that slows down a lot for me is Street fighter Zero3...
Aha, that's my problem--all my 2D games are Capcom fighters. =P Pete's plugin doesn't seem to like 2D Capcom games very well, especially their non-standard resolution. I just tried Tactics Ogre and it ran fine (65-80fps with frame limiter off), but Darkstalkers 3 was running at 50-65, and SFA3 just runs like absolute crap. I always run games as ISOs, too, 'cause my CD drives both suck. ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Guess it s time for a cpu upgrade then ;)
I ll guess i m going to buy an 1.33 GHZ athlon (the price is getting lower and lower...Now is the right moment to take it ;) )

Bye

B

·
0 Posts
the reason why the software plugin is so slow is cause your card is a 3d acclerator card which means that if it uses software it will always be slower than the open gl cause their is no accleration in software but their is in opengl and d3d

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not at all

The reason why software rendering is slow, that s because the main cpu is doing all the work....There s no hardware compensation
from the video card, as great as it will be...
A person w/ a 733 mhz cpu and a geforce256 will always have better results than another person w/ a 500 mhz cpu and a geforce 2 PRO...

No, i m not reffering to anyone :innocent:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Raziel, u are *kindly* getting on my nerves:

Try to elaborate ur posts, Try to do some QUALITY and not QUANTITY as always...

Thank u for ur comprehension...

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Raziel, u are *kindly* getting on my nerves:

Try to elaborate ur posts, Try to do some QUALITY and not QUANTITY as always...

Thank u for ur comprehension...
What do you want me to say?
"Excuse me Rargh but are you sure that you're not talking about me cause I just noticed that I have the same specs as the one mentionned in your post,that's strange cause I'm sure you're not the type to make fun of someone"(kinda hypocrit huh?:D ).

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
wowowowowoow..........take it easy.......Raziel.........!

Rargh was only giving some advise.There are also others U have the same spec as yours.....so take it easy.........!

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Yeah, it's over now(Rargh you bastard:mad: ,joking of course;) ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts