Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rpcs3 user :D
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a new option in Desmume that allows you to play Dragon Warrior IV DS with full graphics, etc. but in Opengl doesn't work (DW4). Well, the problem is that this is so slow in almost every svn of Desmume, but in version 1871, softRasterizer works at full speed!!, like the Opengl plugin!!, so why after rev 1871 this plugin (SoftRasterizer) became so slow again o_O, now Dragon Warrior IV has a lot of issues in graphics :(. Is this happening to everyone or is it just me?

Edit: the pictures below show Desmume in 1871 and 1892-1897

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
can you possibly tell me what svn revision the softrasterizer actually became fast in? I just tried 1871, trunk, and 0.9.2 release and they all run the same speed. I can't think of anything that would could have affected speed between 1849 when the viewport handling changed and 1879 when the vram mapping changed (and I dont think that either of those significantly affected anything)

Also be advised that graphics in trunk will be unstable for a while as I overhaul some things.

·
Rpcs3 user :D
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you possibly tell me what svn revision the softrasterizer actually became fast in? I just tried 1871, trunk, and 0.9.2 release and they all run the same speed. I can't think of anything that would could have affected speed between 1849 when the viewport handling changed and 1879 when the vram mapping changed (and I dont think that either of those significantly affected anything)

Also be advised that graphics in trunk will be unstable for a while as I overhaul some things.
My bad, I just notice that when you put frameSkip to 0, the graphics in SoftRasterizer are actually fast (or correct).

·
DS Gamer
113 Posts
Something is sure. The SoftRasterizer became faster in rev1815, then became slower again in rev1822:

Rev1822:
Yeah, I know, skipping 3D frames is nice with the soft rasterizer, but we can't do it until somebody figures out why the 2D/3D synchronization problem happens when doing it. It's so sad :(
Funny thing is that I didn't note that issue. Some games that didn't run at full speed got benefited, but now run slower again.

For example, this is Mario & Luigi RPG3 (J) with FrameSkip 3 in rev. 1820 (check the FPS):

And this is on rev. 1900:

The bad thing is that, even at 27 FPS, the music lags a lot.

BTW, already submitted that in the tracker.

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Thanks for the info. I understand now. You guys are right. Now that I know this feature which we put in and then took right back out is important, I will try to think about it more.

The feature is skipping the rendering of 3d frames when frameskipping. Instead of just 2d frames. Apparently in Ideas, this causes some kind of terrible desynchronization in the graphics, and it was causing that in desmume also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hello i've a possible issue to report with the SoftRasterizer. i say possible b/c i've no way of knowing for sure, or if its b/c of something else.

its a little difficult to describe, but basically the images in the bottom panel 'flickers' from time to time. i tried to take a screenshot but the flickering is too rapid for me to capture. so therefore i made a video about it. MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
if theres issues downloading my file, let me know and i'll host it elsewhere

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Looks like it could be a dual screen 3d issues. The emulator still has problems with that in some cases. If you would say that this game mode is supposed to have 3d on both screens, then I bet that is your problem. Please post a bug to the bug tracker.

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
The other advance wars shouldve been fixed in 0.9.2; it was a viewport handling issue (isnt that the one where the combat takes place split screen on the bottom screen?)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The other advance wars shouldve been fixed in 0.9.2; it was a viewport handling issue (isnt that the one where the combat takes place split screen on the bottom screen?)
yes thats correct. combat took place on the bottom part and was split screen. but it also had a flicker too, which seemed similar to this other one.

i guess the best way to describe it was in dual strike the flicker on the bottom screen was rapid flickering back and forth between left combat pane to right combat pane. and in days of ruin its top screen flickering rapidly to the bottom screen. i think dual strike was only 2d also, but in days of ruin some of the vehicles are in 3d, but some combat units, like foot solders, are still 2d.

oh and the flicker doesnt appear to happen all the time. presently however, i havent been able to determine a pattern of when it happens, so far it just seems random.

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
that sounds like the current dual screen 3d problems

·
DS Gamer
113 Posts
So, any improvements with frameskipping for softrasterizer?

I think this is one of the most important features missing. You know, the only downside *for me* with desmume is the slow speed with some 3D games, and being able to do frameskip to that will be awesome.

For now, I'm still using rev 1820, where that feature was present (but later removed).

Keep up the good work guys, the emu is amazing.

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
this is back in r2245 (thank nherve!) and unless we find bugs itll be in 0.9.3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.