Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well if by best you mean fastest then the PIII 1ghz is the best. I personally look for good price/performance ratios. You can get a PIII 700 for under $100 and overclock it to 933.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
If your talking overclocking then www.overclockers.co.uk are now doing special combo deals, (ie fans heatsinks chips mobos etc...). They are all pre tested and setup for neebies to clocking. Check it out if your interested (damn good price for ram also).

·
Registered
513 Posts
>You can get a PIII 700 for under $100 and overclock it to 933.
I'd heard that Intel prevents PIIIs from being overclocked. Was that just a "feature" of the Slot 1 P3s?

·
Registered
183 Posts
By pentium III processors, you can only overclock the motherboard.
By the PIII 700 MHz (7 x 100 MHz), you must set the FSB (Front Side Bus) to 133 MHz and the CPU will run with 7x133= 933MHz! you may need then a powerful cooler and memory chips that are specified to work @ 133 MHz.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>Argh! ... Damn I should have bought an athlon.
Hehe, now you sound like me ;) Really though, unless you're running some hardcore, Intel optimized processor intensive applications I can't fathom why anyone goes with Intel anymore. I'd just recently bought a new motherboard for use with my Slot 1 600 Mhz P3. Looking through PriceWatch for a 370 proc I was simply stunned to see the outrageous prices Intel was asking.

Conversely, I could get a 1Ghz AMD proc with a bundled motherboard for less than a slower Intel proc by itself.

While I doubt Intel will be going out of business any time soon, I'm fairly certain that my next processor won't be advertised by some doofy-looking blue men ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
LOL :D

Yup; but I doubt that intel will going out of business cuz' The pentium Itanium is going fairly well tough...
(and PERHAPS; they will optimize their P4 because it s a crappy thing for now....)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I read an article about someone overclocking a PIII w/ a pencil. now, this was really clever, they united the L2 bridges w/ grafite so u could overclock the processor itself :) nice, but not sure if its true ehe

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don t like this...I knew there some kind of overclocking like that...
but if U do a bad connection.....50°C; 60°C; 100°C....
pshhhhhh no more processor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Hum, maybe, but i thik that 4 atlons u use also a cute little thing u connect to the gold connector of the processor to overclock it. wait a little plz, im gonna check the name ;)

C

·
0 Posts
That's for Slot-A athlons, they are no longer in production...

The method your decribed is for Socket-A Athlons...such as the Thunderbird.

·
Registered
265 Posts
'I'd heard that Intel prevents PIIIs from being overclocked. Was that just a "feature" of the Slot 1 P3s?'

The pIII's are clock locked, you cannot adjust the multiplier. You can however raise the fsb, this unfortunatly pushes the PCI and AGP buses out of spec, causing general system instability with components that rely heavily on timing (NIC's, etc.)

'but if U do a bad connection.....50°C; 60°C; 100°C....
pshhhhhh no more processor!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

No, i'm not aware of that happening at all, quite apart from the fact you seem to think this is anything to do with Intel processors. Not correctly closing all four L1 bridges on Duron or Thunderbirds results in (in my experience):
(1) The system not POSTing
(2) Multiplier adjustment via motherboard still impossible
(3) _some_ multipliers not attainable when set by the motherboard.

Removing all the pencil or closing all the bridges fixes any problems.

'I read an article about someone overclocking a PIII w/ a pencil. now, this was really clever, they united the L2 bridges '

It's the four L1 bridges, for Socket A AMD chips (Thunderbird, Duron). There was a rumour started on usenet that applying 12v to certain traces on p3 cartridge format chips set the multiplier. It turned out to be a hoax, that only succeeded in breaking quite a few people's chips.

'The pentium Itanium is going fairly well tough'

Check some hardware sites, the Itanium is far behind shipping date, has huge power requirements, and isn't particularly fast. It requires a very complex compiler to get decent speed, and it takes years to perfect compilers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by Neojag
Hum, maybe, but i thik that 4 atlons u use also a cute little thing u connect to the gold connector of the processor to overclock it. wait a little plz, im gonna check the name ;)
As CD said, the gold fingers devices were for the Slot A format athlons. There is however a 'golden socket' being manufactured (quite rare outside taiwan atm) that sits inbetween a Socket A chip and the motherboard, allowing the multiplier to be manipulated.

An easier and more availible solution is to buy a motherboard that can change the multiplier, once the L1 bridges have been closed.

S

·
0 Posts
I would reccommend looking for a a good processor and mother board combination. Last week I got an Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Gig processor and a Soyo mother board for $269 US dollars. The FSB is 266 and the processor uses PC 133 memory. I see a big difference from the Athlon Slot A 900 that I was using. It was on an FIC board w/an FSB of 200 mhz and it used PC100 memory. So, again, I say look for a good combination and go w/that. I think you'll be very satisfied if you do. I know I was.:)
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bobotns:

By pentium III processors, you can only overclock the motherboard.
By the PIII 700 MHz (7 x 100 MHz), you must set the FSB (Front Side Bus) to 133 MHz and the CPU will run with 7x133= 933MHz! you may need then a powerful cooler and memory chips that are specified to work @ 133 MHz.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do u do that?:confused: do you just change the FSB dip switch to 133MHz instead of 100MHz?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts