Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Crotally Tazy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IGN

Quake4 sees the return of the Stroggs we all faced in Quake2. Judging from description and pictures, and having been a fan of the Quake series, me thinks this is going to be a hit...
Less frighten-the-players rubbish, more action. Kind of like Halo?

Disappointments:
Apparantly the rockets travel slowly by most standards. Quake1 projectiles are still the stuff to dig after all.
No Big Fraggin' Gun. Replacing it is the Dark Matter Gun, which is very un-iD-ish (having said that, it wasnt developed by iD...)... whats with the technical term?

· Registered
222 Posts
It'll be nice addition to the series for sure, with the SP like Quake 2 and the MP like Quake 3. I'll probably pick it up, maybe it'll hold my attentin longer than two weeks like Doom 3.

But renaming the the BFG in a mature rated game is just rediculous. Hehe

· Crotally Tazy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not many here likes Quake? :p
I have a suspicion that it will hold my interest for quite some time. iD's games for some reason has a feeling to it which I prefer; some FPS give me headaches (HL2, AvP).

Apparantly halfway through the story you are transformed into a Strogg. Supposedly it is only through this you can defeat them. Cool.

I still think Quake1 will probably have better deathmatch than Q4 though. Its THE classic deathmatch game IMO.

· Premium Member
6,302 Posts
Hanamichi said:
Not many here likes Quake? :p
I have a suspicion that it will hold my interest for quite some time. iD's games for some reason has a feeling to it which I prefer; some FPS give me headaches (HL2, AvP).

Apparantly halfway through the story you are transformed into a Strogg. Supposedly it is only through this you can defeat them. Cool.

I still think Quake1 will probably have better deathmatch than Q4 though. Its THE classic deathmatch game IMO.
No need to put it as a spoiler, it was announced in the official press releases :p

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Better safe than sorry I guess :)

From what I've read about the game it seems pretty interesting. I used to play the Quake 1 demo over and over again. Is this going to be anything like it? I used to like single player FPS' like the first Unreal.

· Registered
411 Posts
Quake II was the low point of the series - they should just stick to the "this game's a frag contest" modus operandi. Quake had a pretty fun single player mode, but Quake II's just felt uninspired. And the multiplay wasn't as fun as Quakes, and then Quake III came around and *****slapped it's earlier iterations. All Quake IV needs is some fun multiplayer modes. We've got Prey, Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R. and other games to catch the slack on single player.

Bringing back the things form Quake II doesn't get my hopes up. And the fact that Raven's handling it, also doesn't get my hopes up. I haven't really enjoyed any of their games since Heretic II. They screwed up the Jedi Knight series...and Star Trek Elite Force hurt my eyes (its the Q3 Engine...for some reason it does that to me...but I can tolerate it for the fun Q3 offers, not ST EF though).

· Crotally Tazy
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I figure it may spoil the surprise for some people, although its not really a storyline. :p

Not going to be another Quake1, but I hope the action will be involving like Halo. :)

Quake3 was good, but IMO Q1DM is just THE ultimate DM game. For some reason. Maybe its the medieval weapons. And the fact that fragging your opponents with their heads landing infront of you is very evil. :D

I agree that QuakeII was the worst of the series, but it wasnt exactly poor I think. When it came out it was pretty impressive graphics, sound and gameplay wise. It was also one of the more enjoyable DM games I played (similar to you Lobo, HL engines does strange things to me :p). And wasnt it the first game to implement a rail gun? :D

· Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
PC Gamer gave quake4 a 7.0, imo not surprising however it is pcgamer.

· Registered
411 Posts
PC Gamer used to be so great :( I havent read them in years so have no barometer to gauge their rating on. If it was the PC Gamer of old with Wolf's section in the back, then I'd trust it as far as I could toss one of their pages folded up like a paper airplane off the top of a skyscrapper (that is to say, I really did trust them). Plus...its not iD doing this game, its Raven; so 7.0 sounds right to me.

Raven, how far the have fallen. I just hope the Deathmatch is good. If they screw that up, they're soooo fired from the game industry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.