Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what it is all of you out there use and why you use it. I personally use iTunes. I've gone through and used winamp 2.x 3.x and 5.x, I've also used Foobar2000, after using all of these I like iTunes the best. Because they all sound about the same, with my computer resources aren't really a problem at all, plus I don't think iTunes takes up that much anyway. I have a ton of music and the way iTunes sorts it and the search and browsing features are awesome. Its very easy to make playlists and to manage them. The internet radio leaves a little to be desired but I don't use that anyway. You can easily modify the id3 tags and convert songs to mp3's. Plus you can but music thorugh it which is really nice if you like to spend money on songs to download :p. Plus iTunes is a very nice looking app (I'm a mac lover what can I say). It shows the artwork and all sorts of other stuff, and well it plays music ;) .

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
winamp=
easy to use
free
spyware free
skins
plugins
and more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've been using Winamp for as long as I know .mp3; it's simple and clean, plus it's free. Just recently though, I'm beginning to use WMP10 due to its native support of multi-channels (I have 5.1). There is a plugin for Winamp to make it do 5.1 but often I hear cracks and noises. I'd like to know what people with 5.1 (or higher) uses. Thanks.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
winamp for me... for PC
when I'm at the ofice, I use I-tunes for our Macs...

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well... I have been using Winamp since 1.x when mp2's where still around, I've got really used to it and I don't see any real reason for changing :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
How's foobar's 5.1 support?

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Although everyone is going to flame me, I use musicmatch, and here are my reasons:

1. I truly don't believe that the playing software affects that much the way a song sounds on my speakers.

2. Except for Windows Media Player, it is the only audio software I've found that lists the music library in "tree" form. Which in my opinion, is almost a necessity when you have almost 1500 tracks. I have used winamp, and tried itunes, and I can't tell you how annoying it is to scroll through ALL of your songs all the time, where with musicmatch, it will simply lists the artists, the albums, or however I sort it, then I can click the little + next to it to drop down the tree for that particular artist/album

3. Is not only a player, but also a ripper/burner and converts from wav to mp3 and vice versa on the fly while ripping/burning. And has a feature to record from the audio in port on your sound card.

4. Automatically tags tracks with their appropriate names and album art.

5. Who want's playlists??? Although musicmatch does fully support playlists, I don't want to listen to the same playlist OVER AND OVER. Almost everytime I start up my audio player, I listen to different songs, in different orders. This is where musicmatch really excels. Musicmatch automatically ENQUEUES. Winamp supports enqueue, but you have to right click and select enqueue, and itunes doesn't support enqueueing at all. I have not tried foobar, so I do not know about it. Windows Media Player also does not support enqueueing to my knowledge.

So, I guess it depends on what your preferences are, but I prefer musicmatch. If they come out with something better that has ALL of these features, I would probably gladly switch, but until then, IMHO all other audio players simply come up short.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Winamp 5, been using it back when it was commercial and I don't think I am gonna stop using it anytime soon.

Yours,
-Elly

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
another winamp 5 user :) easy, free, spyware free, takes a bit of pc resources, plugins, skins, etc, etc :)

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
2. Except for Windows Media Player, it is the only audio software I've found that lists the music library in "tree" form. Which in my opinion, is almost a necessity when you have almost 1500 tracks. I have used winamp, and tried itunes, and I can't tell you how annoying it is to scroll through ALL of your songs all the time, where with musicmatch, it will simply lists the artists, the albums, or however I sort it, then I can click the little + next to it to drop down the tree for that particular artist/album
I have been using WMP9 for a long time at home and still use it at work minly beacouse the library is very easy to use.
I now use winamp 5.04 at home becouse of the several ogg files i have.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
Winamp 5 and then once in a great while jet audio..

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have used winamp, and tried itunes, and I can't tell you how annoying it is to scroll through ALL of your songs all the time,
Click the browse button in itunes ;) . It sounds just like how you do it in music match. Plus iTunes has a search feature that works supa fast.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
5. Who want's playlists??? Although musicmatch does fully support playlists, I don't want to listen to the same playlist OVER AND OVER. Almost everytime I start up my audio player, I listen to different songs, in different orders. This is where musicmatch really excels. Musicmatch automatically ENQUEUES. Winamp supports enqueue, but you have to right click and select enqueue, and itunes doesn't support enqueueing at all. I have not tried foobar, so I do not know about it. Windows Media Player also does not support enqueueing to my knowledge.
In Winamp: General Preferences, File Types. It will be on the right side, "Enqueue files on double-click in WIndows Explorer." :p

Been using Winamp for a long time. I have tried others, but I always come back to Winamp and my Topaz skin. Foobar is pretty good too.

As for a Library, I just have all my music organinzed in folders how I like it. From then, I can just add the directory I want. I use CD Dex for ripping and Nero for my burning needs. As for the ID tags, CD Dex will do all that for me when ripping. Oh, and you can't forget Milkdrop, it looks soooo cool.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
May as well have added a poll....Winamp user here...or when lazy we use Windows Media...heck..we even like using FLaRE's Flaretech!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts