Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor NES cartridge reader is shot, so I ordered a replacement for it off EBay, but this is the first time I've tried to fix a console so I'm a bit nervous.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie attempting NES Repair?

Ironic the last game I played was Dr. Mario!

oO :lol:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
What kind did you get? One that requires soldering or the "snap-in" one? Hope you bought the one with gold plated contacts...;)

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind did you get? One that requires soldering or the "snap-in" one? Hope you bought the one with gold plated contacts...;)
Snap in version, but not gold plated. I would have loved to have purchased one of them.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,479 Posts
The snap-in version is easy peasy. Hopefully the contacts are something else besides aluminum. The original contacts would oxidize over time and gave generations of people the old "garbled screen" cartridge read errors. Blowing on the cartridge contacts or partially wrapping your lips around that end to blow warm, humid air on it..... ah, the memories... :p

·
<font color="#FF0080"><b>Moderator<font color="#AA
3,602 Posts
There are heaps of tuts online. While you open your console you wire cutter should accidentally cut a certain pin on the lock out chip making you console region free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts