Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll place this here since it's, well, the only place I can ask it since the Snes9x forums are all but dead at this point (no sense in asking for support there). These particular issues are baffling to say the least, and have no idea what could be causing them :D

First issue: Having either vsync and/or triple buffering on, I see "skipping" in what should be an otherwise smooth framerate, such as when something is scrolling along the screen,
it's not as smooth as it should be. Same with strobe effects (like the dash meter on Tiny Toon Adventures), I notices "gaps" or skips in the flickering, as it should be here. I've tried have them on separately and simultaneously, and the problem goes away, but when I use the emulator later, the issue resurfaces. I don't know if it's a GPU driver-related issue with how it's syncing, I don't know.

Second issue: Every time I load 1.53 up, sync audio is always disabled, so I enable it, next time I load it up, it no longer remembers that it was saved, but other settings save just fine, I don't know if the config file is corrupted or if there's a bug in the emulator itself, I don't know, suffice to say, it's really weird.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.53 is old and busted at this point, have you tried the snes9x test build from June 24 2014?

http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/testbuilds/

Right, and I thought I was on the most recent build and had issue with those as well, but I'll give it a shot. Hopefully, these issues have been resolved, which is the reason I fell back on 1.53 vanilla ;)

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well I do have your issue with latest test builds but only if I use heavy shaders
That's just the thing, I use only the bi-linear filter. Using the most recent build, enabled triple buffering and v-sync, I still get skipping, no tearing, but skips. It is better to use the OpenGL API mode or D3D in Snes9x? Damn this issue is persistent. Using the 64-bit build. I don't think 50% CPU usage is normal seeing as I have a Core i5 CPU.

Edit: Full screen seems to help a lot, flickering/strobe effects are perfect, but not in windowed mode. I'm also freaked out that it takes 25-50% of the CPU. Is there a reason for that?

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using D3D and only at around 20 % cpu on my i5. I have vysnc on but I don't use Triple Buffering
I seemed to have fixed the sync issue (works perfectly in full screen), will try the D3D API this time, not sure why it was using that much CPU power, something's amiss and I'll need to do some sleuthing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts