Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote this review in the bin originally at the "Kind of" request of Squall!
Due to demand I have re-written it slightly to post it here!

The game has all the modes you would come to expect from a SF game at the time! Such as arcade and vs modes!

The graphics where toned down a bit in the way of smaller fighters and animations not being as fluid as the arcade experience but again considering that they where working with the snes it is actually an incredible job that has been done inside the confines of a 32mb cart!
9/10

The sound although not on par with the "Q-Sound" tech used in the arcade edition is as respectable as again can be expect from the snes!
8.5/10

Gameplay is where this baby shines! After starting a game and choosing from any of the 18 available characters you are given the chance to choose whether you would like auto or manual blocking and whether you would like to play at normal or turbo speeds!

The combo's in this game are as fluid to get out as they are in the arcade, however I would strongly suggest the purchase of an arcade stick as trying to get tough combos with the snes pad is a nightmare (I particularly get annoyed by have one of the buttons needing to be accessed with the same hand as the hand used for the d-pad. ie.. the left hand and the L trigger)
But with a stick you will be pulling off Ha-Do-ken's and Sho-Ryu-Ken's before you know it!

The addition of custom combos in Street Fighter Alpha (Performed by pressing any 2 same strength attack buttons at the same time with over 50% of your super meter available) give new comers to the series an easy way to perform impressive combos!

I must say that SFA on the snes is a very decent game, but due to the lateness of its release (The playstation was already starting to become a force to be reckoned with when it was released) most people just went for the playstation edition of the game, or the Sega saturn version if the person was truely series about SF!!
9.5/10

Replay value is as high as long as you have a second person around to pick up the 2nd controller! Although I have never gotten bored with playing ANY Street Fighter game on my own a stupid amount of times! If this is the case for you then you will more then likely find it VERY hard to put down the controller!
8/10

There are a few secrets in the game, although no more hidden playable characters are in the mix! Shin Akuma can be fought by beating the game without losing a round with 5 or more perfect victories or using a continue plus there are some hidden costumes and 1 more stage to fight in from Australia!

All in all I would say that the snes edition of SFA is an awesome example of a 2D fighter done right on the snes, the newer consoles just made the conversion that much better!
8/10

The above review was written after playing SFA for snes using @ES snes9x!

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx HCR! I appreciate it

I actually REALLY enjoyed this, if anyone has another fighter, platformer (Mario/sonic style game) or survival horror game reviewed then send me a request and I will see what I can do:D

The skin was created by @ruantec!:thumb:

·
<font color="#FF0080"><b>Moderator<font color="#AA
3,602 Posts
Bah! Retro reviews need to be done on there original consoles without a doubt!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
alpha 2 on snes was the worst ver ...
Compared to what? the Playstation/Playstation 2 Street Fighter Alpha 2?

Or the other Super Nintendo Street Fighter Games?

I thought it was pretty good, but not arcade quality.

:evil:

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
alpha 2 on snes was the worst ver ...
I was actually very surprised they did this good a job of the game on snes!
Certainly it is not up against ANY of the other releases of the game but they are ALL on far superior technology!

In regards in comparing to others on the same tech. ie. snes and genesis I would still say that on the original consoles I would put it up there with the best in its genre, but I still prefer Street Fighter Special Championship Edition for Genesis for its Gamepad! On the SNES you can always expect slightly superior Graphics and sound but the snes pad sucked bad for SF!

The reasons for not releasing SFA2 for genesis as well are probably many but at least snes got a stripped down version to enjoy!

I actually think it was exceptionally kind of CAPCOM to think of there snes fans still at such a late stage of the snes lifecycle!

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Great review Shadow :)

Just as a tip for future review it would be best to title the specific categories rathen than the reader finding out mid-paragraph what the paragraph is actually about.

Nice shameless advertising for @ES by the way :p

Lastly you recommend the use of an arcade stick, so would you also recommend the use of a joystick when using the emu? And if so how should the joystick be set up for use with the emu?

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I play ALL my games through @ES, that is what is normal for me! There was no deliberate @ES advertising! Anyone that asks for a screenie of a game from me will get an @ES version (If I don't constantly use it how am I meant to find bugs that need squashing:p)

I indeed would Schumi! I don't own a stick at the moment myself but I usually would use a Playstation arcade stick plug in the one of the 2 usb- playstation adapters.

In setting a stick up I only need to make adjustments to the controller config within the game itself! (Altering the emu config screws things over when you go back to another game without the stick!)

At the moment I am busy saving for a stick to be used for SF4 on PS3 (Expect an indepth review when I get a hold of the game:thumb:)

I am praying that NO-ONE will beat me to it from America (Gets released 3 days earlier there) as I have been waiting for this game for too long

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
So how should the joystick be used? obviously it's regular motion will be for movement but what then?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I'm getting Street Fighter 4 for the PC, but that's not out until June. I have a DOA4 stick to play with the game.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
argh. xbox dpads are irky, so i set snes9x to use the analogue stick lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts