Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Which PS2 is better in performance Small one or the older big one. I mean the Small one is comes with less functions & is not very good :(

I am going to buy a PS2 Soon Please guide me in detail.

Regards

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Niether. They are the same. The small PS2 is just a revision like the PSOne was for the PSX

S

·
0 Posts
Guyver2K5 said:
Buy an Xbox :p
make constructive posts ;P

I do not know of any differences...afaik you can't connect a HD to the new one, but it has a network adapter built in.
I got the new one because it looks a little better, IMO. I like the fact that it's small.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think he is worried about the lack of hd support. I have seen pics of an external hd that connects to the pstwo in the back somehow, I don't know if this product will make it to the states though. I have the new pstwo, I got it cause my old ps2 died and I had a warrenty. The ps2 has the self opening door, which was removed from the pstwo as it leaves more places for malfunction. I have not had any "software" issues, like the manual mentions may happen. The only problem I had was with my multitap which I use for a AV select, but I just messed with the part that plugs into the pstwo and made it fit, now it works fine. If you were in the pstwo's gui when you turn it on, you would not be able to tell it apart from a ps2's unless you know what bios numbers goes with what ps2/two version. I like the pstwo better, it has a built in ethrnet port, less parts to break and just looks cool in general.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
hackerslong said:
I mean the Small one is comes with less functions & is not very good
Well not really. I mean it has integrated ethernet. The only thing it lacks currently is HDD support in North America. But they are working on it.

Te amount of games that currently use the HDD are very very very slim. Not to mention games that will use it. Hardley any.

You better decide quick though, because there will be many shortages with te new model PS2's if you decide to go with them (I would) They are smaller. Do the same thing, look sexier and cost less (at least where I live) The only crappy part is they aren't bundled with a game. But the games see the original PS2 bundled with I'm not interested in at all.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
it has crapy laser anyway... :( as the big ps2 :hdbash:

and HDD connected to it by USB.... naaah I'm going to buy older big sister ps2 ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
and HDD connected to it by USB....
What I heard is that there won't be any HDD support for PStwo, thats why they haven't stopped making the orginal versions.

I say get the newest old ps2 you can find. The newer one I heard had built in DVD remotes.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Squigi63 said:
What I heard is that there won't be any HDD support for PStwo, thats why they haven't stopped making the orginal versions.
emm... *cough* under *cough* ground *cough*

·
Registered
356 Posts
emm... *cough* under *cough* ground *cough*
??? and for good measure ?

-If by underground you mean third party, then I would hold off on it till it's guarteed to work. Lots of third party PS2 stuff doesn't work well like old modems.

-If by underground you mean from an underground source, well that just doesn't seem realiable.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Squigi63 said:
The newer one I heard had built in DVD remotes.
Nope. You still have to buy those seperately. ;)

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Well not really. I mean it has integrated ethernet. The only thing it lacks currently is HDD support in North America. But they are working on it.
Where did you hear that? Because everywhere I read about this mentioned Sony has no intention to add HDD support to the new PS2.

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Realy. I heard rumors that they were making an external unit oO

If they do or don't I don't think it matters much. If you wanna play FFXI that bad on your PS2 than buy the big fat ass PS2. If not just buy the PC version (which is better IMHO) or jus don't play that game. Like me :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
I heard rumors and saw pics, but those can be fake.

About the bad lasers, I heard that it was the loading tray that would get out of line, making the laser unable to read the disk right. That's why they went back to the door-type version.

·
Registered
845 Posts
VDDZ said:
I heard rumors and saw pics, but those can be fake.

About the bad lasers, I heard that it was the loading tray that would get out of line, making the laser unable to read the disk right. That's why they went back to the door-type version.
That was sometimes the problem, although the scph3xxxx range did have bad lasers of a poor build quality.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Well..as some have mentioned..There are groups that have created a disk that will allow the PSTwo to recognize PC USB external harddrives. This software is not endorsed or supported by Sony, nor can it be used in the same manner as the FFXI bundle. It is more for the purposes of HDD Loading...We won't go any further then that...Google has the answers.

FFXI is currently the only game that makes full use of the HDD. Some games have the ability to cache, but it is not that big a deal. Downloadable content such as levels is not to big either. Perhaps if more demand and developer support are there they will change their mind, but what does it matter...With a current install base of over 75 million sister BIG PS2s, there is no real need for HDD support. The PSTwo is merely to capitolize on those who have yet to get a PS2, those who wish to replace an older soon defective model, or those who have the cash to invest in another simply because it looks cool ;)

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Gack! Triple post!

S

·
0 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Nope. You still have to buy those seperately. ;)
I think he means the built-in IR receiver (it's in the pstwo as well).

Razor Blade said:
If they do or don't I don't think it matters much. If you wanna play FFXI that bad on your PS2 than buy the big fat ass PS2. If not just buy the PC version (which is better IMHO) or jus don't play that game. Like me :p
Indeed :p

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
I will have to get the a new version soon simply because i ****ed up my second ps2 a month ago and the one i'm using now is at it's deathbed :heh: But truthfully if I had to choose between the old and the new, I'd get the new one just for the hell of it. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts