Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i usually am able to solve just about any pc issue i get but this one is quite interesting and has me unable to solve so any help would be great.

This issue originally became known when i rebooted my pc once to uninstall avast. its random when it happens but it happens more often than not. the issue is when i reboot/turn on my pc it sometimes gets into i guess a restart loop where the post indicator on my motherboard stays at C1 and sometimes looks to change but goes immediately back to C1. it takes a bit but i am able to get the pc to boot but i have to go into windows to change clock back to correct time.

replaced cmos battery but it did not seem to stop the issue at all and quite honestly unsure as to what might be causing this as some say the C1 means memory error but i know for a fact my memory is fine.

so if anyone has any ideas i am all ears.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i refuse to do any overclocking so everything is stock settings. bios is at defaults right now because this issue will undo my settings and set them to defaults and i changed cmos battery so that reset everything too. until i can fix this issue i am unsure if doing a bios update is wise plus i have had this motherboard for 2 years so i doubt a lack of updating it can cause this kind of issue plus it has been over a year since i made any hardware changes.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
You still haven't said what motherboard you're using. The reason why I mentioned a BIOS update is sometimes they fix issues such as these. Depending on the brand, they will have a list with each update stating what was fixed/changed.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a DFI LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI MR-2/G motherboard. its a power hungry motherboard which requires a highend power supply to run it well which has run fine for over 2 years until it started this issue out of the blue.

·
Tyrant
555 Posts
Did you ever hear of a PSU going bad?
This once happened to me with a noname PSU after 2 years in an unchanged setup.
And yes, especially the first boot/powerup became the problem with mine.
After exchanging it with a higher watt brand PSU all problems were gone.

I wouldn't say that you encounter the same problem for sure, but it's a possibility
worth checking.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
one of your memory sticks or slots is bad. or quite possibly the on die cache is bad. or the memory controller is bad.

only way to find out what part is the problem is by stripping back to the bare min components.

....also its an nforce board... so..... don't expect much of it.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i actually thought about the psu last night. a few times when shutting off and turning it back on to get it to boot, it started making a loud beep until i turned it off. its not my motherboard s the speaker is turned off. plus i know my memory is fine. i have been using it like mad lately and getting to points where its all full. previous experience showed me that if memory is bad you will know while in windows but i have NO issues once the pc boots. may go by compusa tomorrow and ask about the possibility of the psu being bad and if there is a way to test it.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
When you say the speaker's turned off, are you referring to the jumper next to it? I don't think I've heard a power supply beep like that. I used to use a couple of DFI boards (nF4 Ultra-D and nF4 SLI-DR Expert) so I know how touchy they can be :p. I remember on the ones I had that it acted differently depending on what slots the memory was installed in (yellow was for high voltage DDR, like Winbond-based stuff, orange for mostly everything else), so if only two slots are filled, try switching to a different color. I remember the DFI forums occasionally recommending removing the CMOS battery for 24 hours so you might want to try that too.

·
Emu Author
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on my board all 4 slots are used, for a total of 4 gb(1 gb sticks). i had the cmos battery out only a short period of time while switching the battery which was a pain to get out cause of the giant video card i have sits over the battery. going to go ask about the issue at compusa today to see if they may also know anything as well, i appreciate the help, i hope i can solve the issue without spending to much money on it lol.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Bad or faulty ram or power supply. You can test the ram by testing one stick at a time to identify which one is the bad one. Psu or power supply is bit trickery to identify if it is the culprit... One way to test to see if the psu is faulty, well you need 2 pcs for this test. First make sure that your ram and motherobard are 100% working without flaw by using them in the 2nd pc to see if it boot up or work, if you can verify that, then the most likely culprit would be the psu.

Cheap or budget psu usually tend to not last longer than quality psu, but the same can be said to all hardware. But if you know what you are doing then you should have no problem troubleshooting your pc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.