Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry if someone else has had this problem, but I read the FAQ and several pages back without seeing anything.

Yesterday I was playing pokemon platinum without any problems, and when I tried to load it today it would only run at half speed throughout all portions except battle. I tried messing around with the options to improve performance but nothing really changed anything. If someone could help that would be awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was it running fine in the area where you saved before you turned off the game? Did you save in a particularly large/cluttered area? Big areas will take up more system resources, resulting in a slower performance. Also, were you running any other large programs besides your emulator? If you were, it could have been sucking up system resources that your emulator was using before, meaning it would run slower now in comparison.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,089 Posts
iTunes, definitely yes; that is, if you were playing music. As with FireFox, a completely loaded homepage shouldn't slow down anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
iTunes, definitely yes; that is, if you were playing music. As with FireFox, a completely loaded homepage shouldn't slow down anything.
That's not entirely true. I've had Firefox running while playing no$gba, and it slowed down the game a noticable amount. It really depends on how graphic-intensive the web page is. For example, if it has a lot of Flash or banner ads, it's going to continuously take up system resources.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
learn how to manage your system priorities......

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
don't set it too h igh :O

anything higher then above normal will steal priority from the os.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm... so, if I set it for High priority, it might have been stealing resources from my computer, slowing the emulator down for OTHER reasons... interesting...

I spent a year in schooling for computers, but we never went into detail about system priorities, so I didn't know it could mess with the OS.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
lol.

nothing can steal priority from the SYSTEM process as it has the highest priority.
however the Shell and applications which require keyhooks require the same level of priority as an application using the most cpu to allow for keyboard and mouse inputs to not lag.

Exactly what is your processor anyway, Pokemon runs really smooth for me using a sempron 1250

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an AMD Anthlon 64 x2. I think it's 2.3GHz? It reads out as 2.00GHz, but I know it's faster than that. It just never wants to display its clockspeed right, even though it out-performs the 2.1GHz CPU I have...

EDIT: By the way, you made me relapse. All that talk of Shells and system resources... blah... I was always good at my computer courses, but they still would give me headaches when talking about the more complicated aspects... I'm more of a hardware man, not so much on the software.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I'm both, but software development is hard for me since i lose attention to boring stuff......

anyway, you most likely have cool and quiet enabled, which alot of applications don't like at all. you can install the amd driver, and cool and quiet patch which should fix her up.

AMD_DCO_1.1.4
AMD_Processor_Driver_1320053

if you're running Vista, then setting the system power settings to performance mode will disable the low power states.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
You would hope, but the timing used on AMD's dual cores goes against the normal method and that causes problems for many applications. emulators are worse off from it because they hit the cpu in ways different then that of your average application or game.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm both, but software development is hard for me since i lose attention to boring stuff......

anyway, you most likely have cool and quiet enabled, which alot of applications don't like at all. you can install the amd driver, and cool and quiet patch which should fix her up.

AMD_DCO_1.1.4
AMD_Processor_Driver_1320053

if you're running Vista, then setting the system power settings to performance mode will disable the low power states.
Thankyou very much!! Putting my laptop on High Performance solved my problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.