Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem when I play Pokemon Platinum. Everything is running slowly, the music, the animations, and moving around. However, all the text and menus run at normal speed, as well as the music that plays when in the menus. The percent at the top is usually around 99% when going normally, but then drops down to about 40% when I'm in the overworld. How do I fix this? (Platinum is the only rom I have, I don't know if it's doing the same for others.)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use nogba, im afraid Desmume isn't that great for pokemon just yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could you post your PC specs?
Also, are you using Desmume 0.9.2 and with OpenGL or SoftRasterizer?

Answering these questions might be helpful for us. Desmume still isn't too great for Pokemon.

I've run Platinum and I can say that it's fast in certain areas where there isn't too much going on. Big cities like Jubilife and Hearthome make the game go real slow, but towns like Pastoria and Sunyshore aren't that bad. Battles are fast, too.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
DeSmuME whilst it's very good still has really heavy CPU use so if you are lacking in that department then it's better to use no$gba as out of all the DS emus it's friendliest to weaker systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP 3
Intel Processor
Celeron CPU 2.70 GHz
504 MB of RAM
Intel 82845G Graphics Controller

I'm using 0.9.2 and have tried each 3D setting, nothing worked.

Tell me if there's any info I missed.

I've also tried No$GBA but it crashes whenever I try to change a setting.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
That CPU is farly weak so that would explain the slow-down...so yeah in your case you can pretty much just try use no$gba but even that may run slow, but it should at least be a little faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only problem with No$GBA is that it doesn't allow you to go underground in the Pokemon games. I have Platinum as well, and have noticed the Desmume slowdown. No$GBA is definitely a faster emulator for Pokemon, especially when using No$Zoomer with it.

As a result, I only use Desmume for going underground--in fact, I got Desmume for that very purpose, since I wanted fossils and Heart Scales and Arceus plates so badly. For all the other processes in the game, I use No$GBA because it's faster.

The only catch to switching between emulators like this is that you have to copy the save files over. For tips on doing this, see my latest post in this thread.

This is kind of off-topic, but when you go underground, save a game state (I love that feature of Desmume) every time you dig up a rare item, just in case the underground spontaneously stops working and your game restarts. (The save state saves you the trouble of leaving the underground to save.) I learned that the hard way when I had dug up several rare items, and all of a sudden there was a "communication error" and the game restarted, meaning I lost all those items...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
......nobody ever pointed you in the direction of Pokesav Amber?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.