Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you still lurking here, a little update;

Progress on Dxbx is slow, but not halted.

Wayo is expirimenting with patching the game-code.
This is to make it use the Windows-layout instead of the Xbox-layout of the TIB (Thread Information Block, normally accessed via the FS register).
He's still in the research stage, but it might result in a situation in which we can get away with less patches than are needed in Cxbx. Also, it would solve much of the Vista-incompatibility, because we won't need bits of (or possibily whole) the LDT code anymore.

Also, we've gained a new team-member : Comax.
Comax is a professional Xbox 360 game developer, who chose to join Dxbx instead of Cxbx, mainly to learn Delphi but also because of the open style in which we have set up our project.

People still mail us on occasion.
We receive all kinds of contributions : XBE dumps, library patterns, general ideas & questions - please, keep them coming, it's nice to see people are still interested in this project!

Me, I'm a bit busy IRL;
At work I'm very busy porting a client/server codebase of roughly 2 million lines (excluding 3rd party code) over to Unicode Delphi.
Also, one of my sons is diagnosed with autism, which brings it's own challenges with it. This makes me a bit tired on the hours that I would normally work on Dxbx (which is at midnight, basically).
Anyway, regarding Dxbx : I'm slowly working on extending the function pattern trie, so it can grow over 2^16 items in size. This should be simple, but somehow it isn't; I'm getting unexplainable random access violations somewhere in the middle of the detection code. I'm sure I'll prevail over this bug eventually, but as I explained above: ATM it's going a bit slow.

Well, that's it so far (unless other team members have anything to add?). Cheers, and 'til the next update!

·
将軍
558 Posts
Too bad about your son that really may hurt, and for the progress on the emu I always follow you guys in every news and glad to hear you got a new member.:thumb:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Patrick asked to make a update news item from my side of the project.
But i can be verry short on that.

Im trying to get the Directx initalization working so a window can be created and more code can compile.
The big problem is that its very hard to convert all the code in one time.
And the loops are creating dead loops when some code is not complete.

but all this can be fixed... but there is 1 huge problem.
same like patrick im also very bussy.
Working hard on a new year (2009) release of the software at work.
(almost all project members have a daily job)

This taking so much time and effort that i dont like to code annything when im back home.

Most of the stuff im now doing in the weekend when i got some free time left.

But we did not stop the project :)
its only slow on progress like patrick has written

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Thanks guys for keeping us updated with your progress. It is always a fascinating read. And cool that you guys got a pro 360 game programmer on board.

And to Patrick, all my best with regards to your sons recent diagnosis.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ok some small changes are made to the source code.
now im sure the createwindow procedure to create a window is called.

It is not shown yet and why i dont know realy. but that is something i need to look into.
But the good news is that more and more functions are called in the emu dll

·
Registered
907 Posts
Dxbx is still alive and kicking :)

Yesterday we have inserted alot of Patches, hopefully we can insert alot more these weeks.

Patrick is trying to fix a nasty problem, when that one is crushed we hope to see some real stuff for the first time.
( we already seen stuff but that was with help of the cxbx.dll )

This time we hope to see stuff with the dxbxkrnl.dll

Also i wanne thank everyone for there support and help in the project.
We still get alot of emails and help from all places, this realy has done good to the team to keep the spirit up..

So Thank you all for support and help !!!

·
将軍
558 Posts
Is really great to hear that DXBX is still alive and you guys are motivated to keep working on it.

My best wishes to DXBX:thumb:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts