Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if somoene could shed some light as to why my pc is under performing. i have a quadcore 2.5 ghz processor and 4 gig of ram and a nvidia 7300GT 512mb gpu, i have windows vista business 32 bit. I did have xp before and it ran most games pretty well but when i upgraded my install to vista my system perofrmance was reduced considerably.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
your GPU is horrible, thats why. Generally during regular system performance however, vista will feel a bit less responsive than XP. Try upgrading to x64 bit vista first, then upgrade your GPU probably to a 9600gt i would recommend.

·
Viking
27 Posts
I'd suggest a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB made by XFX. You can pick one up from NewEgg for about $199.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Graphic card too crappy to run aero on Vista.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Hi i was wondering if somoene could shed some light as to why my pc is under performing. i have a quadcore 2.5 ghz processor and 4 gig of ram and a nvidia 7300GT 512mb gpu, i have windows vista business 32 bit. I did have xp before and it ran most games pretty well but when i upgraded my install to vista my system perofrmance was reduced considerably.
There isn't enough information here for anyone to give you any real advice. What games have you tried on both xp and vista? Can you quantify the performance degradation? Did you install all your drivers after installing Vista?

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
try right clicking a game's shortcut and go into the properties menu, then under the compatibility tab enable "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition", it might help with performance.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you don't want to buy any of the 8 series outside of the 8800.... those 8600 cards are also effected by the "laptop" bug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok i live in the uk and im looking to spend bout £80 on a new gpu so any reccomendations?
i thought about getting a psp slim instead though hopefully you guys will be able to clear this up for me too, can you only play backed up games by performing a hardware mod?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
What are you talking about? Your post made things a bit less clear.

can you only play backed up games by performing a hardware mod?
If you're talking about the PSP, then yes, BUT why do that when you can softmod it instead. ;)

If you're talking about the graphics card, then I'm afraid that question bears little relevance.

As for a recommendation, I'd look for a 9800GT or better. Not sure if that's within 80 euros though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you're talking about the PSP, then yes, BUT why do that when you can softmod it instead.

If you're talking about the graphics card, then I'm afraid that question bears little relevance.

As for a recommendation, I'd look for a 9800GT or better. Not sure if that's within 80 euros though.
Well i was asking if anyone could reccomend a good graphics card at £80 not 80 euros

then i said i was thinking about getting a psp instead of the gpu and was enquiring about the method of modding it. It all falls upon whichever one i think i will get more use out of as im not a big pc gamer. i use my 360 for gaming. i woulnt mind a hand held though as long as it isnt too hard to mod.

So its GPU vs PSP at the moment.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Well i was asking if anyone could reccomend a good graphics card at £80 not 80 euros
lol
I need to pay more attention sometimes...

then i said i was thinking about getting a psp instead of the gpu and was enquiring about the method of modding it. It all falls upon whichever one i think i will get more use out of as im not a big pc gamer. i use my 360 for gaming. i woulnt mind a hand held though as long as it isnt too hard to mod.

So its GPU vs PSP at the moment.
I still have my PSP-1000("fat" model). I don't use it very often as the PSP's game library is pretty lousy due to the massive piracy problem which turned away developers in droves. I use mine as a portable Super Metroid game station.

Modding the PSP for homebrew is easy. Just make sure you purchase the right model. The softmod requires the use of a battery and a specially formatted memory stick. Another, new exploit was released called chickHEN that apparently works on the PSP-3000s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.