Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to run FF9 on EPSXE 1.52 with DX6 D3d Driver 1.1.77 on my crappy laptop (graphic wise).

But the game is fairly slow especially in the world map and during the battle. It's not unbearable, but still it's noticeable. I tried using the software-rendering plugin, it works well there but the graphic sucks. I also tried the PSX emulator and it works well but it looks awful.

So, I was wondering if my laptop simply can't handle this game on EPSXE with hardware rendering. I will just wait a few weeks until I get back to my home to use my desktop then. But if it can be helped I would like to fix it.

This is my laptop's spec.
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo U7600 1.20GHz
PC2-5300-2gb
Mobile Intel 965 chipset.

These are my current epsxe settings.

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.77
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 2
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 32 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 4
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 1
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: on
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000800]

----------------------

I did some research in the past few days and tried playing around with the setting.
Changed the resolution to 320x240.
Played around with the compatibility section.
Turned on the various game fixes including G4 polygon, odd/even hack, mixed sofware FB access.
Set the vram to 128 and back to 0.

If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it. But if my laptop simply can't handle this, I'll just wait then.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
This is really interesting me how all of these inquiries report that the Intel 965 and better onboard video apparently can't run even Direct3D in ePSXe, lete alone OpenGL(1). I'm almost positive my old Intel 865 (Intel Extreme Graphics 2) played Final Fantasy IX with even Pete's OpenGL (1, not 2, of course), so I assume it'd play Direct3D too. I keep saying that though, so I'm going to set it up on that older PC sometime and test it to confirm it so I can be sure. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm almost sure that old HP played Final Fantasy IX in OpenGL(1), since it lacked an AGP for my GeForce 4 Ti4200, while I used it for the short time it's all that was available.

The resolution of this game is 320x224 most of the time, like in menus, FMVs, and in most of the game with 2D backdrops, and slightly smaller vertically (320x21-something) in battle and the world map. I'd use 640x448 (twice 320x224).

Try no filtering and no advanced blending.

Make sure the VRAM size is set correctly.

Offscreen drawing only needs to be 3 for this game.

Try ePSXe 1.7.0, since it doesn't have the FMV issues 1.6.0 had.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
auto-detect should work fine for you, only ATI users need to enter the amount manually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.