Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow Computer.....
Is there anyway to get epsxe running at a playable speed on this system:?

233mhz
64mb of memory
48x Max Cdrom
16mb Ati 128 rage Card
Sound blaster 16
Windows 98

Anyway to get it working on that system?

·
Registered
310 Posts
try using plugins that require few resource like Pete's soft gpu and internal spu and cdr also try to minimize the amount programs running in the background

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
or try segud3d its a good plugin and nice speed but compatibility is something to be desired

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by slicknick123
I've never heard of SEGA3d
it is SEGU NOT SEGA this plugin was one of the better ones during the psemupro days and its speed and being old meant that it had to suffer compatibility issues with newer games another one is nik d3d plugin and not nickk's plugin that is still currently progressing. another is kazuya's which is very fast.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
A software GPU will kill your performance. Use a fast D3D plugin like Next3D or Segu's D3D for the GPU. Audio is another area which drains performance, you might want to disable it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Originally posted by slicknick123
Slow Computer.....
Is there anyway to get epsxe running at a playable speed on this system:?

233mhz
64mb of memory
48x Max Cdrom
16mb Ati 128 rage Card
Sound blaster 16
Windows 98

Anyway to get it working on that system?
hehe. I would say no. try bleem! it supposedly works well on old computers.

I'm getting an old p2 300 in a few months. I'll try a couple of emulators on it and see what works best.

·
Registered
275 Posts
(If you're using the correct plugins..) I believe epsxe relies more on the graphics card than the processor. Me and my friend are always in competition to see who's computer is better at playing games and such, and since he recently formatted, his is right now, but we have close systems yet totally different ones (i'll get to my point later). I have a 450mhz K6-III w/ 128ram (base) and an 8mb ATI Rage Pro, while he has a 400mhz Celeron w/ 192ram and I think its a 16mb nVida TnT. I'm thinking because of the video card, his computer is able to run games a bit faster than I can. Nonetheless, I can still run most of my games at a minimum of 45fps (usually 55fps average, depending on game) with sound. While a 233 might bring down speed and your ram definately doesnt help (I went from 64mb to 128mb last year, very noticable speed increase) I'd say because of your 16mb of video card that, yes, in the less 3D-dependant games, you'll be able to play them at decent speed.

If you're planning on playing games like Driver 1,2.. (the only games of mine that is sluggish) then I dont know. Try playing some of the older playstation games that werent so graphically advanced. Oh yeah, and from one crappy old ATI owner to another, go with Pete's D3D with texture quality on DEFAULT (you'll see when you get there.)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Bleem may run few games well on these system specs.

Actually you can try to run epsxe as well.Try to use 3 of the fastest 3d plugins that came around.
1.Nik's d3d--- very much glitchy,but very fast as well.
2.Impact d3d--- May work very well with some games.
3.Segu's d3d--- My personal favorite,works very well with most games and frame skipping option is really cool.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Originally posted by expert464
I believe epsxe relies more on the graphics card than the processor.
Epsxe as with all emulation, it relies more on the cpu.. Case in point.. Epsxe ran crappy with my amd k6-2 533 mhz with a voodoo 3.. But ran great when I upgraded to a tbird gig with the same voodoo3.. 30-55 fps compared to 60+ with the same graphics card but different cpu..

Think about it.. The cpu has to process the emulation of the main psx cpu's, spu's, cd rom, and more.. Then send those processed data to the graphics card to be displayed.. Which is epsxe relying on more? Your computer CPU..

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
fivefeet8 is right. It depends on your processor. But it also has a lot to do with the graphics card. I was using PII 350MHz 192Mb Ram and (I didn't want to tell but here goes...) a SIS 6326 8Mb agp card and I played Smackdown 2 at about 55 Fps with frameskip on!
using Pete's D3D. Now with everything same and instead of SiS6326 I got a nVIDIA TNT2 32Mb ;) and now I am getting 70 Fps with Framelimiting on ! BIG DIFFERENCE !!!
Not only SD2 but also Twisted Metal 4, Dino Cisis 2, Resident Evil 3.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
wohoo so much information
BTW Segu´s plugin is faster and in old cards (like mine) has better results than pete´s plugins but is a very confusing procese to configure it :p in that way is better the pete´s plugins ohhh and the best of Pete´s is that support savestates which is the better option of epsxe (I think)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts