Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SoA is probably my favorite DC game, and I'd really like to help get nulldc emulating it as close to perfectly as possible. So I'd like to create a thread to track issues I (and others) have found, and maybe some fixes make it into the emu. I have some observations, one I've isolated the cause, the others I haven't.

My compy: IBM Thinkpad T43p
Pentium M 2.26ghz
2GB ram
ATI Firegl V3200 (R300 series, DX9.0/OGL2.0 capable)
mostly runs SoA full speed, occasional slowdown to the ~50fps range. Definitely playable.

1. Z-buffer mode D24S8+FPE bug: the menu is drawn badly. D24S8 mode 2 is similarly affected. Switching to D24S8 mode 1 fixes it but then Vyse's shadow is not drawn correctly. Screenshots attached below. D24FS8 seems to be unavailable to me with my cpu/gpu setup.

2. This is probably well known, but the skies are not drawn correctly. Screenshots for this too. Putting it here for documentation.

3. Other general graphical bugs around things with transparency, eg. the save point.

On a positive note:

- VMU emulation seems perfect
- even though it's supposedly not ready for prime time, DSP emulation in the nullaica plugin makes the sound in the game a LOT better

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have all those bugs, but the one that i really hate is the "so out of sync" audio. eg. when Vyse does his super nice pirate's wrath and the animation ends, he's still shouting "PIRATES WRATH!!" (like 5 seconds after animation is over)That's the worse for me. All the other mini bugs i can just ignore. :p

·
Registered
703 Posts
First of all i want to thanks the nullDC team for this kickass emulator, and for letting me experience the dreamcast once again... since my dreamcast broke years ago...

I finished this awesome rpg like 1 week ago in nullDC and i'm impressed, Skies Of Arcadia have everything an rpg needs: good graphics, good music, good plot, good character development and on top of all that it have really ****ing good character facial expression. I'm amased how good this rpg was, i kinda regret finishing it tho... i wanted to keep playing it...

- even though it's supposedly not ready for prime time, DSP emulation in the nullaica plugin makes the sound in the game a LOT better
I just tried this and you're right, the music is a LOT better with DSP on... i wish i knew this while i was playing.

Anyway, back to the main topic... playing it with the emulator have minor graphic issues but is not the big deal, to fix those little graphic problems you are having with the skies you need to disable the sorting, in other words put it in off:
PowerVR > Sort: Off

Here's a few examples on the issue:

PowerVR > Sort: Per Triangle (Slowest) "Notice the graphic problems in the wall and the lower skies."

PowerVR > Sort: Per Strip "Same problem but a bit worse as shown in the picture, same graphic problem in the wall and lower skies. Having it in Per Strip looks way better than Per Triangle though since it looks better on other areas whereas Per Triangle looks worse."

PowerVR > Sort: Off (Fastest) "It looks WAY better and it fixes the graphic problems, the clouds won't have transparency though but that's just a minor issue. The best way to play this game is having sorting in Off."

There's another minor issue but is not the big deal, as i said the best way to play this is having sorting in Off but another minor problem arrives:

PowerVR > Sort: Per Triangle (Slowest) & Per Strip "Both looks good in battle and the spells or abilities also looks good."

PowerVR > Sort: Off (Fastest) "You can't see the highlighted text and the spell or abilities will look a bit wrong... just a bit, but is NOT the big deal. The best way of playing this game is having sorting in Off... trust me."

This is one of the best RPG i have played and i highly recommend this to anyone, "Skies Of Arcadia" won't let you down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.