Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Scrambled Ninja
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: So I changed the "Stretching Mode" from 2 (Keep Aspect Ratio) to 3 (Keep Pixel Ratio), and it seems to have fixed the problem. Hope this setting doesn't cause other issues...
EDIT2: Now, with this setting, the only problem is that if I go full-screen, it stretches to my wide monitor instead of keeping it's aspect ratio. So I guess I'm stuck with windowed.

Silent Hill 1 runs pretty much perfect for me, except the Map, Inventory, and Main Title screens are squished horizontally (possibly others, but these are the ones I've noticed so far). Heres some pics:
Normal Play:

Inventory:

Map:

Really, it's just a slight annoyance, but if there is a way to fix it, that would be great.

Heres my video plugin settings (this is with ePSXe 1.7 btw):

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 1400x1050 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio: 2
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes (Autodetect)

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

· God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
while this isnt related to the game, going off your current config its important to point out that the auto-detect setting does not work correctly with ATI drivers and can cause noticable performance issues when used, i suggest you set the VRAM amount manually to prevent this from happening.

· Scrambled Ninja
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
while this isnt related to the game, going off your current config its important to point out that the auto-detect setting does not work correctly with ATI drivers and can cause noticable performance issues when used, i suggest you set the VRAM amount manually to prevent this from happening.
Good to know, thanks!

· クロスエクス
4,890 Posts
What's why I said window, and not fullscreen. =P

Supposedly, there was some fix to go fullscreen and keep a 4:3 ratio. But, safer is to just use a window resolution and the stretch option and stick to windowed mode.

· Scrambled Ninja
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's why I said window, and not fullscreen. =P

Supposedly, there was some fix to go fullscreen and keep a 4:3 ratio. But, safer is to just use a window resolution and the stretch option and stick to windowed mode.
Well... I guess using a 4:3 resolution setting for fullscreen would keep it 4:3, but that requires your view card to keep aspect ratio as well, but that feature is broken with my drivers right now.

· Registered
2 Posts
I see that this hasn't been given a real answer, and since it's one of the first Google results that pops up when I search this, I figure I should drop one here for those who need it...

At least in the current ePSXe version with Pete GL2 Core as the video plugin being configured: if you check "Use Window size in fullscreen" and specify a resolution for window size, you can force the game to fullscreen into a 4:3 ratio. For a 1080p monitor, the resolution to put into Window Size here would be 1440x1080. For anything larger or smaller than that, this aspect ratio calculator can help. Just set the calculator to 4:3 and then input your monitor's resolution HEIGHT (usually the second number) into the calculator and it should auto-enter the corresponding Width.
Aspect Ratio Calculator - 4:3, 16:9, 21:9 (Ratio calculator)

This allows you to play the game in 1080p widescreen with "Keep Pixel Ratio" enabled to force the menus, maps, and title screen to stretch to their intended 4:3 ratio.

· Registered
406 Posts
I see that this hasn't been given a real answer, and since it's one of the first Google results that pops up when I search this, I figure I should drop one here for those who need it...

At least in the current ePSXe version with Pete GL2 Core as the video plugin being configured: if you check "Use Window size in fullscreen" and specify a resolution for window size, you can force the game to fullscreen into a 4:3 ratio. For a 1080p monitor, the resolution to put into Window Size here would be 1440x1080. For anything larger or smaller than that, this aspect ratio calculator can help. Just set the calculator to 4:3 and then input your monitor's resolution HEIGHT (usually the second number) into the calculator and it should auto-enter the corresponding Width.
Aspect Ratio Calculator - 4:3, 16:9, 21:9 (Ratio calculator)

This allows you to play the game in 1080p widescreen with "Keep Pixel Ratio" enabled to force the menus, maps, and title screen to stretch to their intended 4:3 ratio.
you replied to a thread that is over a decade old.

the last message was from 2009.

please try DuckStation or RetroArch SwanStation.

_o/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts