Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silent Hill has been the only game i've tried so far. Everytime I run the game it acts like it's in fast forward. The music is really choppy and in game everything is insanely fast. Second problem I ran into was there was no music, only sound effects but I fixed that, but the music sounds very choppy, same with the sound effects but I'm assuming that has to do with the fact that its running so quickly.

PC Specs
Intel 3.06ghz HT
1024mb DDR PC2100 ram
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb vram
120gig hd and so on...

Im really not sure what to do, and I didn't want to go around changing settings incase I accidently create another problem. I was hoping someone on this board knows exactly what I am talking about and can help.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Yeah, I am pretty sure what is wrong with your game, because this kind of problem is discussed in about 500 more posts. You probably didn't check "Use FPS limit" box in video plugin. For better sound quality do not use "ePSXe SPU core" (as you probably do), but change it to the "Eternal" plugin.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
F-3582 said:
For best quality (or atmosphere) play this game with PEOpS Soft plugin.
you're kidding right? all the soft plugin does is make it look like the original PSX...low res (320x240) and disgustingly ugly. with a P4 and a 9600 pro, he should be using OGL2 and Eternal's SPU.

embi3n: try just pressing the "nice" preset on Pete's OGL2 plugin. that should be sufficient for ya. leave Eternal SPU at default. for best gameplay experience, make an ISO (That will make it run smoother and eliminate a pause caused by drive spinup/spindown)

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Hmm... isn't Silent Hill supposed to look distinguishly ugly???

Just in case you didn't see it on a real PSX, yet, but all that rusty, moulding, blood-stained stuff doesn't exactly like filtering. You could of course use high-resolution textures and some scratchy filter, but the PSX isn't capable of producing such graphics. The Software plugin gives it some touch, Hardware Rendering would make it look sterile, castrated.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Graphics of "Silent Hill" are one of the worst PlayStation has ever presented. After having played the 2nd and the 3rd parts of this game, the 1st one does not seem to be playable any more. I can see no point to make this game look "crappier". "Resident evil" is scary enough, and you can see something in your caracter's face, not like in "Silent hill" where even hands and legs could hardly be called so. Although the scenario of the latter game is the best from all the games I have ever played.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Silent Hill once got a graphics award... And I can present you a long list of games with very poooor gfx.

P.S.: Does RE feature realtime-rendered environments with real dnamic lighting and fog? I don't think so. I will never say anything against Resident Evil, but it didn't scare me as much as Silent Hill did.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
"And I can present you a long list of games with very poooor gfx..."

...one of which would be "Silent hill 1"... This game looks VERY scary, but not because of graphics. It was the plot and the soundtrack (or sound in general) that made it a wonderful game. And... oh... I almost forgot... numerous and tough enemies too (absence of this feature dissapointed me in SH2). At least I think so. I just don't believe that SH1 needs an artificial debasing of graphics so that it would seem nicer.

PS. It's my 50th post. I've got a star!

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Why would PEOpS Soft plugin debase graphics? It just displays them as they were intended to look like. If Konami wanted them to be filtered, they would have released Silent Hill on a N64.

·
I♥☣
208 Posts
Not using all the video capabilities of ePSXe when they might be used is an artificial graphics debasing too.

And about that other thing... Konami must have exaggerated. BTW, TV set makes the picture much smoother than it is on PC. One of the factors is the distance you look to the screen. The closer it is, the more evident defects of the picture can be seen.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Interesting thread gone totally offtopic but I post anyway.

Silent hill 1 is a classic and thats a fact.(I think everyone agrees on this one). It looks best using peops ? I dont quite agree on this one . I finished the game on epsxe about an year ago.Peops makes It look exactly like real psx but using ogl/d3d plugins with filtering options makes it look even better. I think the game looks best when you are using ogl/d3d plugin and tvout feature (playing it on tv).

Overall I think graphics were not as good as some of the other psx games but still they suited the game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts