Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently playing Silent Hill, the game freezes after I pick up the blood in the Hospital with the empty vial. (when going to the menu).

I've had other occasional freezes, but reloading from the memory card resolved that, but this time it keeps happening.

I've already tried switching Graphic Plugins as well, but still nothing.

This only occurs when going to the Menu btw. It doesn't freeze when doing other stuff. And it was running fine up until this point. Right now even normal memory card loading doesn't fix it.

Settings:
Code:
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: Radeon X1650 Series 

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: on 
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on 
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on 
- Screen filtering: on 
- Shader effects: 5/3
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000003]
It should be noted that I already tried loading the CDROM directly as well with sub-channel reading enabled.
So does anyone know how to possibly fix this issue? D:

Edit:
Also tested in both 1.6.0 and 1.7.0.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
test the game on psx instead of epsxe and see if there is any difference.

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
psx uses no plugin system so configuring it is pretty straightforward compared to epsxe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Haven't gotten around to testing pSX yet but I did notice one thing while playing it on ePSXe. I managed to succesfully open the Inventory after loading a Memory Card save, and then this showed:

It's supposed to show the actual key, but instead it somehow keeps showing random sprites from the menu. I'm starting to think that this might be the reason why it's freezing, because right after seeing that item like that it stopped working again after attempting to go to the menu at that point.

I have no idea what causes it though. Could a bad disc be the reason of that?

Going to download the pSX emulator now and try it there as well, see if the same thing happens there.

Edit:
Currently testing in pSX. So far no freezes yet. Can this really be a bug with ePSXe then?

Edit 2:
Nevermind. It froze up after using a key item and going to the menu after that point.

Alright, so I'm stuck again. Any suggestions on what to do? D:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still not getting anywhere with this game. Can't figure out if it's the bugged item, or simply a bad CD.

I'll start a New Game and see if it still occurs without the bugged item. Will post results here afterwards..

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
silent hill should work fine on epsxe, ive played though it myself seveal times and ive never run into anything like this.

the best way to find out if the actual game disc is the cause of this problem would be to play it on a real psx and see what it does, if it happens there too then that would suggest that there is indeed something wrong with your disc.

if it doesnt, i would try making an image of it but this time use a different format from what you used before, .ccd or mdf would be ideal for this.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly I played through the entire thing on my real PSX without problems. All the way up to the final boss + ending + new game fear mode (or whatever it's called).

I'll try making a new image again.

Also just to be sure:
When I have the .ccd format, I also get .img and .sub files with it, but should I run the .img file, or .sub/.ccd? Both seem to work (IMG and CCD), not sure what the difference is though.

Right now I'm using a BIN/CUE setup when ripping my PS CD. (Running from CUE)

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
the .img contains the bulk of the disc content, the .ccd is like a proprietary meta data file, sort of like the .cue file of a .bin/.cue pair, the .sub is just the subchannel data so dont load from that but the other two should be fine.

i usually load from the .img since it tends to be the largest file out of the 3 and my directories/files are organized by size starting with the largest and i just go with whatever is first but you can use either one you feel like.

edit- btw you might want to follow the tutorials found in the thread below so you can be sure you are creating the image correctly.

http://forums.ngemu.com/misc-psx-discussion/34515-how-make-perfect-backup-psx-games.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.