Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to figure out which are the best video settings for Silent Hill. My video card is an ATI x800 256mb.

Direct3D looks the best with my card and would work fine but there are two issues that bug me a little. The blood from the enemies has this strange transparent white color. Also the FMVs are pixelated and have a black line from top to bottom a few inches from the right side. I have fooled around with the D3D settings quite a bit so I know that isn't the problem. To be honest these problems aren't that big of a deal, but it's just my favorite game and it would be cool to play it the best way.

Obviously I would use OpenGL but without an Nvidia card you can not use high internal resolution. Those issues from D3D do not occur but the game does have a lot of aliasing due to the lower internal resolution.

Anyway, my questions are, what kind of filters for the OGL plugin would you use? And does OGL2 maxed out on this game look substantially better than D3D?

Thank you so much for your time everyone. <3

edit: Ah, I just thought of something else. I'm sure that this doesn't exist but it's an idea. For those of you who have media center and a widescreen monitor, have you noticed that there is a stretch mode that looks almost identical to 4:3 with just a little cropping on the top and bottom? It cuts off so little of the picture that you wouldn't even care. I'm not sure which geometrical shape it is but it's zoom mode 4 and here's a picture.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6241/51214061pw3.jpg

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Ogl2 looks better make sure u have newer driver

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
OGL2 has the potential to look better than the OGL1 and D3d but it depends on how you configure it. the most notable difference being the use of custom shaders that can drasticaly alter the look of a game. other differences are minor, the graphics are slightly sharper for example.

the white blood can be fixed by using one of the OGL plugins as they have support for correct subtractive blending, so there isnt much that can be done about it when using the D3d plugins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OGL2 has the potential to look better than the OGL1 and D3d but it depends on how you configure it. the most notable difference being the use of custom shaders that can drasticaly alter the look of a game. other differences are minor, the graphics are slightly sharper for example.

the white blood can be fixed by using one of the OGL plugins as they have support for correct subtractive blending, so there isnt much that can be done about it when using the D3d plugins.
Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

You know what, the aliasing isn't that big of a deal...I mean I would love to see it at it's full potential, but now what I'd really like is a film grain effect for OpenGL.

I decided to see what the game was actually supposed to look like, so I played it in pSX. I've noticed that while using software rendering there is a grain effect that's really cool and goes perfect with Silent Hill. It's the color dithering.

The only thing is, it doesn't have the enhancements the other plugins have.

So my question is, does a film grain plugin, or something like it, exist?

If not, what plugins would you recommend for Silent Hill in particular?

I realize this is off the subject, but it's kind of a coincidence.

Hey Jon, I see you live in Maryland too. I live about a half hour away from DC. Calvert County sucks by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts