Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The official dimensions for Sigs are 500x150, however members also add some text as well which increases that whether it be sites, or system specs.

Being as such, I believe the sig image restrictions should be relaxed when the sig image contains System specs.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its 100x100 now, so stfu and start your own topic.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
Bigger sigs will increase the file size and dial up users will have a hard time opening each and every page because of the big signatures.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well you can make bigger sigs and keep the file size limit of 19.5kb :) i'm preaty sure this is what squall was refering to

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Bigger sigs will increase the file size and dial up users will have a hard time opening each and every page because of the big signatures.
No, they wouldnt. That consideration was very valid in 2002-2003 (back when everyone had very expensive and slow dialup). Even cellphones today operate on higher bandwidth than that nowadays.

It's just that the general sig area needs to be defined (currently, the only measure known to most is that 500x180 is considered the "absolute max" known, while the general sig area is not similarly limited or even defined).

btw, the 20 kbs and 500x100 limits historically applied *only* if you upload your sig pic to the server (if I recolelct correctly, since around 2003/2004 or so, dimensions and filesizes for sigs were around 60% higher if you host it externally. I couldve also swore that sig filesizes as well were set to 50kbs exactly in the past too, at least when externally hosted -filesizes and dimensions at sometimes were reset to vB defaults these last 20 months and generally unnoticed, if I am not mistaken-).

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Decent imaging software can save at a variable compression ratio while maintaining a decent level of detail.

Dimension = / = Size

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
No, they wouldnt. That consideration was very valid in 2002-2003 (back when everyone had very expensive and slow dialup). Even cellphones today operate on higher bandwidth than that nowadays.

It's just that the general sig area needs to be defined (currently, the only measure known to most is that 500x180 is considered the "absolute max" known, while the general sig area is not similarly limited or even defined).

btw, the 20 kbs and 500x100 limits historically applied *only* if you upload your sig pic to the server (if I recolelct correctly, since around 2003/2004 or so, dimensions and filesizes for sigs were around 60% higher if you host it externally. I couldve also swore that sig filesizes as well were set to 50kbs exactly in the past too, at least when externally hosted -filesizes and dimensions at sometimes were reset to vB defaults these last 20 months and generally unnoticed, if I am not mistaken-).
but I am using a dial up connection 40kbps in which my downloads run at 1 or 2kbps. So I am totally against larger file size when it comes to dial up.

Decent imaging software can save at a variable compression ratio while maintaining a decent level of detail.

Dimension = / = Size
please name some. I don't know how to reduce size in photoshop.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
but I am using a dial up connection 40kbps in which my downloads run at 1 or 2kbps. So I am totally against larger file size when it comes to dial up.

a connection of 40kb downloads at 5KB/s

please name some. I don't know how to reduce size in photoshop.
Doesn't photoshop have a quality slider when saving jpgs?

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
I need to explore more with the forum. thanks HCR. but sometimes Images are also necessary.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
a connection of 40kb downloads at 5KB/s

its the speed when it just connects. after that who knows where the bandwidth goes. the maximum speed that I have achieved here is only 4.5kbps. And let me tell you buddy, its no good when it comes to open or download big images of gifs with large file size.

Doesn't photoshop have a quality slider when saving jpgs?
its there for saving jpg's, not gif's. If there is another method in photoshop then please let me know.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
I use image ready, then use save optimized as>gif
this is only for animation. Anyways my Dial up connection days are limited and when I am back at my own place then I will be connecting through a dsl connection.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gif workshop can reduce colours, usually its barely noticed, like on my sig, i reduced it from 24 to 17.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
yeah but then the pic looks too shabby

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
only if you reduce to far. besides, for limited colour images, png is better.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
we can't make animated PNG images.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
You can make your avatar/sig in image ready then open it in photoshop and still select save for web where it has some preaty decent options to scale your images in png/gif my avatar for example was saved with photoshop

1 - 20 of 57 Posts