Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5600+ dual core(2.88Ghz each i think), 2GB ram, 8800GT, and windows xp sp2.

I hear people overclocking their CPU to over 3.5Ghz and getting full speed.

I cannot play any of the ps2 games at full speed.
With my current spec, I have
about 30FPS in MGS3
and about 35~60fps in shadow of the colossus

If I want to play MGS3, shadow of the colossus, God of War 1,2, and others, what CPU do you recommend?

I have been waiting for dual core with 3.5Ghz or higher so that I could run these games at full speed but it seems CPU development got slower for last half yr that I don't see any higher clock speed in the market.

Is there any info of better dual core coming out soon?
or will PCSX2 support quad core?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
You should overclock your cpu and see how it goes (i guess you are refering to the AMD Athlon 5600+) if your motherboard suports overclocking & and if you have acces to your motherboard, since if you go to high you might have to do a bios reset (if there's a warranty seal at the back of the case you shouldnt open it since it voids the warranty just thought i would also inform you of this), using the FSB you could gain at least an extra 500 Mhz i think.
If you want to buy a cpu for PCSX2 then you need at least an E8400 core2duo (and ofcourse a new motherboard with overcloacking capabilities, you will need to overclock that cpu with at least an extra +500 Mhz which isnt really much)
But i seriosly recomend not upgrading you pc only for PCSX2 cause compatibility still isnt great (or IMO it isnt worth to upgrade just for an emu your better of playing the games on a PS2).

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
C2D @3.4GHz or higher should be ready to go. Upgrading to C2D u will see huge FPS increase especially OC.;)
I oc my C2D E7200 from 2.5 to 3.4 the FPS of KH2 jump from @40 to @70 :O

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how to overclock. I also heard some risky factors and negative things about it so I just want to use it normally the way it is.

If PCSX2 is completed, is there a chance that I can run these games at full speed even without upgrading? or will I still have to upgrade?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well the only thing i can say right now is PCSX2 still has a looong road ahead before its complete (though i got to say the devs did a fantastic job, in its current state its an impresive piece of software).
As for the second part of the question (about runing perfectly without upgrading) i dont know nobody could possibly know from now what will happen that far in the future.

Also as a warning pls dont start asking when it will be complete as this question tends to be irritating.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
yep like strike said you can always play your game perfectly on your PS2.;) Save money save the power resource save the world!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts