Next Generation Emulation banner

Well should i quit?

• Yes, quit you lazy dumbass!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Stay with your current job, see how it goes (someone like Layla might start working there).

Votes: 8 61.5%
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I work for a US based semiconductors company as a product engineer for the company's DATACOM division. Job responsibilities include, test program development for various test platforms, chip design debugging and re-implementation, failure analysis, working with fab guys.. assembly guys.. test guys.. blah blah, anything and everthing that has to do with the current semiconductor chip I'm working on. Well as for salary, it pays good, i get company stocks ( some of which i recently sold.. hehe ), I get a computer upgrade every year ($2500 for PC upgrade), and so on. I used to like it here when i was new, but I'm really bored right now.. I can't seem to motivate myself to go on working here.. Ever since the semicon industry went down-swing, i started to get bored..

Now, I'm also being offered a position as a software developer for a consulting firm, also US based. I haven't discussed the 'compensation package' with them tho.. hehe.. :evil:

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, i dunno bout that.. doing something you only like, can be a gruesome burden.. (i.e. its called WORK).. but if you really like what you are doing.. well, the job itself becomes a perk.. but if you are bored all the time.. oh well.. :p

Bgnome: As i have worked on hardware/chips on most of my professional life, i really have no idea which of the sectors is more stable. Although, as far as the silicon industry goes, market saturation usually occurs every 4-5 years, hence the downtrend we are experiencing now.. this downtrend is a cycle and when the it comes, i guess as an effect lots people loose their jobs.. although annual profit figures are still in billions of dollars, company's really cut on spending during this time.. i don't really know if there exists such a cycle in the software industry..

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Personally, I believe it's your choice. If you want a more interesting job that pays more, but has more work to do, then go for it. Just make sure you don't end up screwing yourself over like one of my friends did.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,194 Posts
I would recommend u to keep ur job for now.. since the economy is not so good... It is too dangerous to change job at this moment..well , u have to decide it urself .. just dont end up in dilemma.

p/s alot of people in my country nowaday cant even get a job althought they have some so-called "Australia Bachelor Degree" (which was very popular last time, and if u had one, it guaranteed u to get a good job with good pay ) .. but everything changed now.....due to the bad economy status...

·
playing FGO
10,942 Posts
I would think the semiconductor industry is much more stable than software (at least in our country)....

anyway, as the saying goes here, "Kung saan ka masaya p're, suportahan taka." :D

·
King of the Maggots
4,386 Posts
hi....... well I'm not "tak"... I'm his roomate..

well... I'm looking for something on google, but this is the start page of the browser, so I decided to take a look.....

well, if you are bored with your job, then quit, but make sure that you have the other one guaranteed... ok?

so you don't have to worry..... you got to think about your well being....

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Originally posted by Asfaloth
Which pays more? Go for that one. Screw the job, go for the cash.
U Know...Its not healthy to work on something that u don't like or don't care too much...even if the cash is good....( i use my parents as an alive example of stress because of theyr work, well paid but unhappy.....)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
> U Know...Its not healthy to work on something that u don't like or don't care too much...even if the cash is good....

I was kidding, d00d. :lol:

> Here's a tip: screw a hot officemate/co-worker. Somerandomgobbledeegook you're outta luck.

Good advice. Also advice that can probably get you banned, but good advice just the same/ Just kidding AGAIN! :D

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.