Next Generation Emulation banner

Should i O/C That Much??!!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Zephon 
#1 ·
First i wanna say that i dont have money to buy a new PC, i just ordered my Geforce 2 this week, so no money.
My system is a SOYO 5EHM MOBO, K6-2 500, 128Mb
I´ve been told that changing the Multiplier wont increase that much the heat.
Some guys told me to get a K6-3, since the k6-2 has a bad FPU timing, but as u can see in the PIC, my MOBO only supports 450, so no good.....

#2 ·
Heres what i find out too, i could mess with i think is the FSB???
the CPU Bus Clock. My multiplier is now at 5.0x, so if i change the CPU bus to 112Mhz, it would run @ 560Mhz
not a big difference i think
im considering in changing the Multiplier to 5.5x and the CPU bus to 112Mhz, so it would run at 616 MHZ
is it ok??
im getting a cooler which we use here in AMD Duron - 750Mhz
is it good enough??
please help me out guys!!!

#3 · (Edited)
First I gota ask if you've tried both options? if yes, is it stable at all? what type of cooling are you using? hsf.. etc.. generally, increasing both the bus and the multiplier is generally considered the better choice, interestingly.. if you compared 5.5x 100 vs 5 x 110, the latter will probably give you more performance increase.. afaik.. and 50mhz isn't all that much anyway.. maybe you could chuck it up to 600 as you said.. but you're motherboard doesn't seem to support it..

#4 ·
I'm not sure about your motherboard, but I have this SuperSocket7 ASUS P5A-B with my 450mhz K6-III and I cannot overclock it at all, there is simply no option for it.. and I've almost destroyed my BIOS settings when messing with other stuff. And, I dont think going from K6-2 500mhz to K6-III 450mhz is really an "upgrade"... I've read about the changes AMD made to the 2 processors, its basically nothing.

For me though, with my 128mb ram and 8mb ATI Rage Pro, I can run all my playstation games besides Driver2 (and GT1 if I have sound on) at a constant 50fps+, so unless you REALLY need the extra speed out of the processor, I wouldnt. If you just got a GeForce, unless you think it needs more mhz to run well, it sounds to me like your computer needs no changes. My friends 400mhz celeron with a TnT video card runs most his playstation games better than I do. With a better processor and better video card, I see no reason to overclock it.

#5 ·
The K6-3 has a very important feature: L2 Cache! This makes a HELL of a lot of difference (remember the original Celeron vs Celeron A?). It may be worth looking into the "upgrade".

#6 ·
I don't know if your card supports it or not, but you should try increasing a bit the voltage of the cpu. Since you're trying to overclock it, you should also send it more power. But be careful when doing it, voltages should only be increased a little(I mean 0.x V). Check also your cooling. It should be really good in order to make a good overclock.

If, after the overclock your system remain stable, then keep it. I really think anything is worth for a speed increase(although sometimes it's a very small increase).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.