Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty good at figuring out the best possible configurations for games, whether it's from just having an instinct to researching it. I read about the underwater/burning village problems, which I encountered right away, as nothing was even visible. After some framebuffer access tweaking, I got it to display beautifully... just with an irritating lag. It actually isn't as bad as the one I had to put up with in parts of Chrono Cross (ie, Lucca's House, on deck S.S. Invincible). I think I could deal with that.

Now, I've never played Xenogears before so do not spoil it please... but I read that there is a boss fight on the second disc that a signature move with freeze the game and there's nothing you can do about it but to beat him before he does it.

My major question here is... How possible is this to do? Because I will tell you something about myself and my taste in games. Games that are frusteratingly hard are not fun for me because they piss me off. If I get to this part in the game and there's no way to get past it, I will be livid. And I would rather just avoid that if possible. Is there another emulator that would be better to use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I'm not sure I can play Xenogears strictly because of the camera. You can't see anything that you need to see. I really dont like it in games when they have that... looking down on the character sprite, but at a slight angle, allowing you to rotate the camera. It gives you the illusion that it's not a top down view, when it is. You can't see ten feet in front of yourself and it makes me feel claustrophobic, like I have a neckbrace on that won't let me look in front of myself.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
The displays issues should be gone if using PEOpS Soft plugin as it's very compatible.
If you have a good enough graphics card, you can use Pete's OGL2 wich is very compatible too.

The DEUS error on the second disc, is already adressed on the FAQ. There are instructions on how to pass that part. It's actually one of the few times when savestates are actually useful.

Now there's a difference, if you do not want to play the game... you may just be looking for any pretext to excuse yourself into not playing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I really wanted to play this game. I actually spend time looking for pretexts to keep playing it, but I just can't handle the camera. I expected someone to have a comment like yours, but that's just the way it is for me. I can't play games with a camera like that. I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say it makes me feel claustrophobic. Maybe that's a little bit weird, but it feels like my head is tired down or I can't move in a way I should be able to move. I don't like it and it upsets me. Because I'll be trying to see what I'm doing and I just can't. I honestly don't understand how anyone tolerates a game that is styled with a camera like that, but apparently they do. It drives me insane. Actually, the first game I ever had to just put down because of this very same camera problem was Summoner. Summoner had a beautifully huge world that you couldn't even look at. You can't see what you're doing or where there is to go. It's like the character is just walking around staring at the ground. If this doesn't make sense, I don't know how else to explain it.

And I don't know... Save states have been all around useful for me. But I actually read somewhere where you use a save state at every turn and start over if he uses the attack. But it would depend on... when you saved the state or how the RPG was programmed, whether or not that would work. Life if you saved the state after the program has decided he was going to use that attack, he'd just do it every time. Or like, if the program was already set up to use it pretty often and to not let it go unpassed... I dont know. I guess if it works, it works.

Either way, I picked a different game to play. Maybe I'll go back to it, but I really hate that camera.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
I never recomend to rely on savestates, but on this DEUS fight, savestates are needed.
It's pretty good explained how to, on the link from the FAQ.

But then, if you say it upsets you, do not play it.
Otherwise such thing will ruin your playing experience.

I really never thought about the camera, so it didn't bother me at all.
But you know, about tastes...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, thank you. Thanks to this thread I am now able to play xenogears. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with my settings, then I finally realized, oh, my gfx card sucks, I need to use a less advanced driver. PEOps Soft works great, of course the graphics look a little ****tier but at least it doesn't lag like hell! I was a little suprised though, cause all the other games i've played on this comp run fine on pete's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
im trying to play the game too.. but i cant seem to start it.. when ever i select new game the screen blanks out, what should i do? i already used the above mentioned video plug ins but nothing works.. pls help me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts