Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did yah read the stuff i wrote above ?

The reason for not merging is that there still 2 teams with a nice competition.
Code can be used from both sides.. but if you want to make a U turn somewhere.
Then it is still possible.

the competition is good for both parties ( coders and users ).

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts

Yes I read the stuff you wrote, but I still don't think it's a good idea. I also don't think Dxbx will see more contribution by switching to either Lazarus or C++, since Cxbx has been without new contributors for ages now as well.

Anyway, I have stated my opinion on this already and don't feel like arguing over something which is your decision anyway. Good luck with whatever you're going to do from now on ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
NeoBrain, Thx and opinion is noted :)

Cxbx and Dxbx have both a few peope left coding.
But thats already from the beginning of the Xbox Emulation project.

However if people are still interested.. and the Yung ones have developed more skills.. i think we will get some new talents to work on the projects.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Strategy & Tactics. Why it's important!

In some way i can understand NeoBrain.
Why first translate c++ to delphi, then to Lazarus and by that way to c++

As Biil_Gates already said, Dxbx has used Cxbx as a base... but have made some powerfull improvements. ( Like the automated pattern generation and scanning code ).

The way not to transfer direct to C++ is that i`m no c++ expert.
The change to lazarus can be done with few changes, that gives 2 new oppertunities.

1: The code gets a review
2: Because lazarus is a free IDE, more people can help to port to C++

However the codebase of XBOX emulation and his tools will also get more language support that prehaps gives a larger scale of interest.

Dont forget that we started DXBX for several reasons.
1 of them was to get XBox emulation back on track.
2 to show that delphi is not less then c++ as a programming language
3. We had more experiance in Delphi then C++ ( when you write a emu you need to understand the language because you need all the tricks you can find in the book ).

When people still are interested in Xbox emulation then its a good sign. the scene is growing again..

So NeoBrain.. working with Cxbx would be a option, however we want to do it this way.
And its never bad to have 2 emulators.. is it only to keep 2 teams sharp, progress running and the scene alive :)
Yeah, NeoBrain. Competition is also an important reason for his choices. It's to push each emulator authors to new heights of the Xbox emulation. And he still wants to keep programming it in Delphi (or maybe Lazarus), but still give the option for other future programmers to code this unique emulator in a different language. And let him do it - it's his choice. He's just going to program it in his own choice of language, since he's still working on it in his free time!

You know, there's a reason why I started my comment with "with respect" ...
I do realize that the Dxbx guys invested lots of time into the emulator (the argument was kinda pointless anyway since I don't get paid for Dolphin deving either :p)

I didn't mean to sound disrespective, I was just suggesting that IMO it would just be easier to merge the improvements of Dxbx back to Cxbx rather than converting Dxbx to Cxbx.
I don't give a crap about what you mean with respect. ShadowTJ did very well in clearly explaining his reasons to you, even against the suggestion of other guys. Just let him do what he wants. I think it's a pretty good idea. Why?

Because that way he can suss out the level of other people's interest in programming in any of those different programming languages other than his main choice of language. See if they are contributing any codes to this special emulator, coz the number of persistent programmers, and the amount of codes that have been contributed to it has been so lacklustre over so many years. Then if he can work out which languages have not been adopted so enthusiastically by some other people, then he probably on his own terms decide to remove some of these language(s) from the project, or even ignore them entirely (since they're not being touched on at all.)

You see... this Xbox emulation scene is vastly different from those of the PS2 and GC/Wii's. Why is that so? Perhaps it's because not enough people have been interested in working on a vastly more difficult emulator for one system over those for the other console systems in the first place. Or it's because the PS2 was so mega-enormously popular in the commercial market compared to that of the Xbox, which was released late (2 years-ish) into the market when the PS2 has already got its momentum going...

He needs to get ALL the HELP that he CAN GET!!! And that means opening this DXBX project up to a much wider market of multiple languages. Gather new people's interest into it, then let them comfortably program on it in their own terms, and in doing so increase their own momentum for contributing as many code bits as possible to the emu over any period of time. Then if they are going to be become persistent programmers on this emu then maybe ShadowTJ can re-focus on fewer (ie. just 2) programming languages at once.

Yeah, as I've said. Competition is good. Duh! I know it's different from the PS2 scene where there's only one main project being worked on at once, and even one big spin-off of the main emu was merged together into one, so ditto. Also, as Bill Gates, and others in the other topics here have stated before the two active Xbox emus (CXBX & DXBX) have some vast differences in terms of what tools they've got, and the kind of underlying codes that boots up and powers/renders the running games. This is very important! Don't forget. "Is competition is good!" (To use an Australian ham maker's motto for its sausage "Is Don Is Good")

Yes I read the stuff you wrote, but I still don't think it's a good idea. I also don't think Dxbx will see more contribution by switching to either Lazarus or C++, since Cxbx has been without new contributors for ages now as well.
You've misrepresented exactly the opposite of why ShadowTJ chose what he did - in opening up with more options (Tactic - more programming languages) he is in fact trying to welcome (Strategy) MORE people into working on the DXBX program. Delphi isn't a particularly common language amongst the enthusiast users and professional programmers. Frankly, it's quite low in the popularity stakes compared to that of the C++, C/, or JAVA.

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
There's no need to talk about this any further, we've finished discussing weeks ago. Dunno why you're dwelling upon that subject any further.
It basically was a discussion between shadow_tj and me anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, my Net was slow for a while due to some screwed up modem router installation issues, and the OS that it was installed in. Couple that with the fact that I was working in two jobs at the same time, but have since quit one of them last month, so I've felt much better. Now with a fresh new OS, and smooth and fast net speed I'd finally felt comfortable with going back to reading up on the progress in the Xbox emulation scene.

Even though I knew that these discussions emanated from last month, I felt that I'd have to correct some of your misperceptions or uncertainty around the decisions being taken by ShadowTJ in recent times. So now it's like a permanent and lasting legacy with my previous post here for others to see here, as well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
ObiKKa: NeoBrain made his point.. and in one way he is correct.
Patrick had same oppinion about opening the dxbx for multi language.

However, making the emulator more open is ( what i tink best option.)

im now 3 weeks on vacation... first week is already past..
Now here in Groningen.. we have a harbour that has Wifi access. :)

ok back to vacation time now :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
shadow_tj, enjoy your vacations.
So, how can we keep the interest in the XBOX emulation high? The number of posts is rapidly decreasing.

Would it be worthy to document the various parts of the code and let people to translate them back to C(++)?

Also, looking forward, the desktop market is slowly dying to leave place to mobile and tablets that are becoming increasingly popular platforms for emulations. This means that probably CPU emulation will be needed at some point (if XBOX emulation wants to reach ARM-powered systems).

Will be merging CXBX and DXBX together a viable option to keep the effort alive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
shadow_tj If you want to use Lasarus/Lazarus to develop DXBX why not try to develop DXBX in Microsoft Visual Studio/.Net or use Notepad++ ;)
both of them supports Delphi language =)

Both of the programs I have suggested is free to download =)

Microsoft Visual Studio is a little more advanced than Notepad++ but it's two of the easiest programs to learn when you programming ;)

I'm just giving Feedback and suggetions.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
If you want visual studio code.. then use the cxbx code library.
About using notepad++ let say i did not read that part ;)

The only reason to use lazarus/freepascal is because the delphi compiler is not free.

greetings,

shadow_tj

21 - 32 of 32 Posts