Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its hard to find help these days on the Dxbx project.
Mostly its because of free time, or that people do not have Delphi.

Therefore this question.. should Dxbx be trandfered to Lazarus ?
Lazarus is free and can be downloaded by everyone.

This makes the project complete open source, Delphi is wonderfull ide but in some way it makes it close source because its not a free compiler.

Let me know how you think about this.

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
would the project have to be renamed LXBX? :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi All I just wanted to say I haven't tried Lazarus but I am just a beginner in java I believe that java is an easier programming language but I know dxbx wouldn't support java and the programming and files wouldn't support the emulator because you are using directx and opengl and other files as well maybe one day I will try lazarus and see if it is easier then java but I don't make promises that it will work or not work for me if it works I will keep you updated but this is all I am going to say for now!

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
To be honest, I think the lack of help on the project is less due to Delphi not being available for free, but rather the choice of that programming language in the first place.
I mean, good luck finding any people with skills to write an emulator. Out of those, have fun finding those who care about Xbox emulation. OUT OF THOSE, pick one who would prefer Delphi over C/C++ or even C#... ;)

Not trying to flame Dxbx here or anything, but that's prolly just the way it is.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok i decided to make the project multi programming language.
Lazarus / Delphi / C++ prehaps even C# and if some people want to give it a try for Java i dont mind.

This is a complete turn arround of the project... i know and thats absolute not how a project should be running.. but what the hack ( its not the first time i do things my own way ) :)

Why this turn of the project.... answer is simple everybody knows something.
So why not make it multilangual in source ... lets work together on 1 final project .. in different languages.

If you interested and want to join be free.. give me a message :)
The only reason why i do not open SVN for all.. is that not all sources are removed or are corrupted by litle kids those think they are funny ..

Frog.. if you want to give it a try with Java and Jogl. let me know... prehaps i can create your own subbranch for that.

As i said before.. this is a complete turn arround.. but why not learn from each other.. my personal feeling, this is only way how the project can survive...

Im also looking for a extra Project Administrator .. ?? annyone knows a good candicate ??

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im now setting up the new source structure of the folders.

There are some projects that are going to be removed.

SVNBuilder SVNUpdater.. these projects never finished.
XDKTracker ... the xdk tracker was included in the main of the emulator since 0.4 release
XIso.. this because there are lot of very powerfull XIso tools around the net. ( Like GXIso )

Ok now im going back to work..
When im back at home i will try to get the project files to get working again.
And will make a start with the lazarus version of the source.

Prehaps first working on the PatternTrIe Builder.. because thats a very powerfull tool and the Dxbx emu depends on the output for pattern scanning.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the project is growing.. thats all

yes some things are removed.. but the things that have been removed are obsolete.
|The most important source code is the latest source dump of the 0.5 release.
That source was in the src2 folder.. and that one i packed with WinRar to a zip file.. so that code is not removed from the svn.

·
1,510 Posts
in my opinion just c/c++ and the original delphi should be considered
having the project in a million languages will only create confusion..... I know youre just trying to make the project more accessable but thats achieved by the switch to c/c++

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
only commen languages.
everyone has his/her own experiance.

for now the goal is to go for lazarus.. most of the code can be copied one on one.
Only the forms are complete different in lazarus.

However.. with the codebase patrick left. with OpenGl support and filling the pushbuffers.
A lot of crazy stuff is possible. ( Like lunix support or Mac OS ).
Only you need to get the windows call transfered to commen calls instead of Windows calls.

NOO i will not work on a iphone version or MAC OS version of Dxbx !!
But it is possible.

·
1,510 Posts
only commen languages.
everyone has his/her own experiance.

for now the goal is to go for lazarus.. most of the code can be copied one on one.
Only the forms are complete different in lazarus.

However.. with the codebase patrick left. with OpenGl support and filling the pushbuffers.
A lot of crazy stuff is possible. ( Like lunix support or Mac OS ).
Only you need to get the windows call transfered to commen calls instead of Windows calls.

NOO i will not work on a iphone version or MAC OS version of Dxbx !!
But it is possible.
I understand but i still hope the focus of the projects becomes with c/c++
if the symbol scanning code can be ported and improved with the suggestions patrick mentioned before he left we could see compatibility reach a whole new level....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the long run i hope that it will become c++ also.
But before we can jump straigt to C++ i want to transfer it to a more free compiler IDE.

This because more people can help porting it to C++

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
Erm with respect - you realize that a) it's not really practical to code a single project in different programming languages? b) it's kinda stupid to migrate to a "Free IDE" with the goal of moving to C++ lateron, where one could just migrate to C++ as well c) it's kinda stupid to migrate Dxbx to C++ since it would basically be .. Uhm, Cxbx then ...

tl;dr: Why don't you just join the Cxbx team? ;)

·
1,510 Posts
Erm with respect - you realize that a) it's not really practical to code a single project in different programming languages? b) it's kinda stupid to migrate to a "Free IDE" with the goal of moving to C++ lateron, where one could just migrate to C++ as well c) it's kinda stupid to migrate Dxbx to C++ since it would basically be .. Uhm, Cxbx then ...

tl;dr: Why don't you just join the Cxbx team? ;)
CXBX and DXBX have major differences besides just language.
I hate when people try to talk to emu authors like they know more than the authors do... jesus christ :???:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bill_gates is right.
NeoBrain show some respect to people that have dedicated their free time to the public.
shadow_tj, please disregard this type of comments.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In some way i can understand NeoBrain.
Why first translate c++ to delphi, then to Lazarus and by that way to c++

As Biil_Gates already said, Dxbx has used Cxbx as a base... but have made some powerfull improvements. ( Like the automated pattern generation and scanning code ).

The way not to transfer direct to C++ is that i`m no c++ expert.
The change to lazarus can be done with few changes, that gives 2 new oppertunities.

1: The code gets a review
2: Because lazarus is a free IDE, more people can help to port to C++

However the codebase of XBOX emulation and his tools will also get more language support that prehaps gives a larger scale of interest.

Dont forget that we started DXBX for several reasons.
1 of them was to get XBox emulation back on track.
2 to show that delphi is not less then c++ as a programming language
3. We had more experiance in Delphi then C++ ( when you write a emu you need to understand the language because you need all the tricks you can find in the book ).

When people still are interested in Xbox emulation then its a good sign. the scene is growing again..

So NeoBrain.. working with Cxbx would be a option, however we want to do it this way.
And its never bad to have 2 emulators.. is it only to keep 2 teams sharp, progress running and the scene alive :)

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
Bill_gates is right.
NeoBrain show some respect to people that have dedicated their free time to the public.
shadow_tj, please disregard this type of comments.
You know, there's a reason why I started my comment with "with respect" ...
I do realize that the Dxbx guys invested lots of time into the emulator (the argument was kinda pointless anyway since I don't get paid for Dolphin deving either :p)

I didn't mean to sound disrespective, I was just suggesting that IMO it would just be easier to merge the improvements of Dxbx back to Cxbx rather than converting Dxbx to Cxbx.

But then again that's just my opinion so whatever you think is right ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts