Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have question about this SMT series.
What is better sequence to play this game?
1. SMT: Noctrune
2. SMT: DDS
3. SMT: Persona?
or what?
(sorry for my english)

·
crazy person
862 Posts
Every Megaten game plays in a different world than the others (with the exepction of maybe 4-5 games) there is no sequence whatsoever. They only share similiar themes. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Right. As far as which game to go with first it's hard to say which one you'd appreciate the most, but DDS is probably the most accessible. Nocturne is generally applauded a bit more, but it's also a bit out there. The Persona series in general is pretty wacky. If you're referring to the first one, that particular game is a pretty boring endeavor all the way around.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
or what?
(sorry for my english)
SMT Nocturne comes from Snes's Shin Megami Tensei series. It has nothing to do with DDS and Persona. Anyway all of those three series are separated branches of megaten universe, so you can play anyone in any sequence, it won't matter.

·
crazy person
862 Posts
Right. As far as which game to go with first it's hard to say which one you'd appreciate the most, but DDS is probably the most accessible. Nocturne is generally applauded a bit more, but it's also a bit out there. The Persona series in general is pretty wacky. If you're referring to the first one, that particular game is a pretty boring endeavor all the way around.
I actually liked the first persona nearly the most. Did you play the japanese or the american version? They're quit different in some terms.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
And the dungeon crawl was painful.

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
All I know is, Persona 3 and 4 are considered to be one of easier Atlus JRPG's, which, depending on how much you like the grind-grind-grind-profit? formula, can be a + or - .

·
crazy person
862 Posts
Persona 1 was a pain in the ass :)
Never realized something like that. Maybe I have other expectations on a game. (I actually didn't like most psx rpgs expect Chrono Cross, FF IX the persona series and grandia) 1 was a hell lot of fun for me :)) At least in my memory.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
They say that Persona 2 Innocent Sin (The one who was recently translated 100% to english by those rom hacking guys) is one of the best Atlus Rpg games. I haven't played it yet but... Maybe it is worth checking. :)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I played a bit of the other Persona 2 (Eternal Punishment) and I couldn't get into it.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
or what?
(sorry for my english)
If you're talking about the PS2 games, start with either DDS or Persona 3/4. Nocturne is awesome, but insanely hard, and can be quite frustrating if you never played a SMT game.

Between DDS and Persona, depends on what you're looking for. Persona 3/4 are better games IMO, but they're quite unique and certainly willl not fit everyone's tastes, while DDS is closer to a traditional jRPG and overall more accessible.

[]s Badaro

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
I think :
-Nocturne : the hardest (Don't Know bout Fes Hard mode though) and have the most "unique" storyline
-DDS : Easier than Nocturne but harder than Persona and had rather "disturbing" storyline (at least for the 1st game)
-Persona : The easiest out of the three but storywise is the most "Humane" (well, no armageddon or eating demon thing at least)

it's up to you to decide, but all 3 are awesome games

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Nocturne is the hardest one then? That's the only one I played and I managed it - I thought SMT was supposed to be one of those brutal RPG series.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Did you finished in the true devil path ?? Anyway, using walkthroughs and strategy guides cut this game difficult by half. It's easy knowing the right demons to fuse etc. The true challenge lies in playing without guides. The first time I played I didn't know anything, it was difficult.

The second time it was much easier, because I already knew what to do and developed insanely effective battle strategies.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
True, i got my @ss kicked a few times by surprise boss (like matador) before resorting to walkthrough
though once you've become familiar with the battle system and the demon fusion, the games got a little forgiving

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I am a bit late to the party but I suggest you play whichever is the oldest first (I don't mean story wise, I mean when it came out). This is because in my experience at least I find it hard going from a newer game to and older game. I mean at first you are either presented with acceptable or great 3D graphics and then usually the older one is all of a sudden very blocky and it's much harder to tell what what is and becomes frustrating. It's much easier going from older to newer. The only time this has ever not been true for me is if I played the older game before and am already used to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts