Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Tushy :3
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've been wanting to make this thread for a long time but for some reason, have been too lazy to get off my butt to make it. :p

This thread's purpose is to share the joy of amazing food! :x3: I know a lot of you guys have expressed an interest in baking, whether you're a bachelor that lives at his own place or actually enjoys cooking. Feel free to post your favorite recipes, post pictures of the things you have cooked, etc. I hope this thread will be used to the fullest extent. You guys know how much I like baking and I would love to get more recipes for my collection. A person can never have too much good food.

Here's a picture of my homemade soft pretzels. The picture has been posted before I'm sure, so if you are having de ja vu with this then there's a good reason behind it. :p I will add the recipe later. :D

Pretzels

Note: Yeah, I know the pretzels in the picture don't have the traditional pretzel look and look similar to rolls, but trust me, they have the same taste as the soft pretzels that you can buy at the mall.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
this is gonna be my new favorite thread :) dont have recipes on hand but i have one in mind. will post tomorrow

·
soshin
2,595 Posts
Let's see, how about I start with some random spaghetti recipe. One that I usually make for dinner in case my wife says "I don't feel like cooking. You do it" :p

You're gonna need:
1. About 200g of spaghetti, (maybe you'll want less, I'm a big eater :D)
preferably the the whole grain one.
2. Vegetable oil or olive oil if you can afford it (not me though)
3. 2 tomatoes (the medium sized ones, not too big or small), diced
4. 1 onion, cut into small bits
5. 1 green bell pepper, diced
6. 1 red bell pepper, diced
7. 1 chili pepper finely minced (depends on your taste though, I like it hot)
8. 4 straw mushrooms/ paddy straw mushrooms, diced
9. Smoked beef/ chicken breasts/ tuna, diced (I don't always use these)
10. Cheese, lots of them, grated (I usually use cheddar cheese, but if you
could get some parmigiano it'd be perfect)
11. Black or white pepper powder
12. Some nutmeg powder
13. Sugar
14. Salt
15. Some water
16. Corn flour

First, you cook the pasta in boiled water with some vegetable oil added into the boiling water. Add some sugar, salt, and pepper. If you have a better way to cook your pasta, then I'd like to hear it :D When it's adequately cooked (or if you like, al dente), take it up, off the stove and put them aside.

Fry the meat (beef, chicken, or fish) and mushrooms until they are cooked, put them aside (if you are using meat)

Then, heat some vegetable (or olive) oil on a non-stick fry pan, use small fire or low heat. When the oil is hot enough (I usually dip the wooden ladle into the heated oil, if it's bubbling around the ladle, then it means it's hot enough), put the diced onion, bell pepper, mushrooms (if you're not using meat), and chili pepper. Cook until the onion is brownish or caramelized.

Next, put in the diced tomatoes, cook until they're mushy (though not too much). Add water, and corn starch, stir slowly until the sauce is thick enough. Add salt, sugar, nutmeg powder, and black/ white pepper, stir again slowly. You can use some chicken or beef broth (in my country, they usually come in block powder form) instead of salt and sugar. Let the sauce bubble.

Lastly, put in the meat, fried earlier, and some grated cheese into your sauce, and stir it again. Let it bubble as you stir and then turn off the fire. The sauce is ready.

Put the pasta into two plates, and add the sauce on top of it. Add more grated cheese if you like, and garnish with parsley and sliced tomatoes if you like. Serve for two (or one if you're hungry enough :p).

I'll add some photo if I cook one.

·
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where I got my pretzel recipe

Ingredients

* 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 5 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup baking soda
* 4 cups hot water
* 1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping

Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
4. When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.

I posted the link of the page where I got the recipe because you are able to see other people's comments, nutritional information, and if you don't want to do 5 servings, you can change the measurements to the amount of servings you would like (whether it be 1 serving to a 100 servings). Enjoy :)

@Verboten: Thank you so much for sharing that recipe! It looks amazing! :drool: Please post a picture when you get a chance. ;)

Oh I finally made mashed potatoes and gravy for the first time today. My mother usually does the cooking, while I take over the baking. Since it's father's day, I thought I would cook my father a meal of his choosing. My mom would have been cooking, but she's on bed rest at the moment. I was really nervous, but I did it. I was surprised how well it turned out. I'm afraid of cooking because usually, you can just eyeball things while cooking. With baking, you have to follow a set of instructions and you know what you're going to get out of it. I'm really proud of my accomplishments. :3

·
soshin
2,595 Posts
Thanks :D If this thread goes well, I think I'm gonna have a lot of good recipes in my collection to try out. I don't do baking well, though. Usually it ended up in a fantastic mess and burnt dough :p. My mother and my wife do it way better than I do. As my father, well, let's just say he should stay away from the kitchen :lol:

Do share the mashed potato and gravy recipe. Been wondering what makes a good mashed potato and delicious gravy. I have yet to try it out.

·
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't follow a recipe, but I'll try to give you the "guidelines" on how to make them.

Mashed Potatoes:

I cleaned and peeled about 10 large Idaho potatoes. Then I diced them up and put it in a pot. When the potatoes were done, I placed cold water inside of the pot, just to the point where the potatoes were covered. I put the pot on the stove and waited for the potatoes to boil. I checked them several times during the boiling with my fork to make sure that the potatoes were tender enough to be mashed. Once it was done, I got out a strainer and emptied the tender potatoes into the strainer.

I put the potatoes back into the pot after I made sure that I got most of the water out from the potatoes by the strainer. I put the pot on a counter and added a 1/2 (half) cup of nonsalted butter. I sliced the butter in little pieces and folded them into the potatoes. Then I got my masher out and began to mash them up. I used 1 can of evaporated milk as I mashed them. I would add pepper and salt in small doses as I balance out to the taste I desired. It was quite easy. I'm surprised how easy it was. It seems that the only thing that was difficult while making them was the time of leaving them to boil. :p Just mash the potatoes until smooth. Don't want lumpy potatoes!

Gravy:

This was a little bit trickier. I put a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup and a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup together in a sauce pan. I then added two cans of evaporated milk while stirring the mixture on the stove to make it warm and not lumpy. The last thing I added was some seasonings that I had purchased at Williams and Sonoma (a kitchen store that's pretty awesome...I'm not sure if there are any stores outside of the States though). The seasonings are supposed to be a turkey rub, but it was so nice to put a bit in the gravy. It was so flavorful. I then added salt and pepper to my liking.

If you have any questions, let me know. But I hope I communicated these recipes in an easy way. I was surprised with how things turned out on my first try! Usually I can't perfect a baking dish until my second time making it, so I was very very pleased. :3

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
snickothemule's Ghetto Hobo Cuisine

What you need

1. 500g Ground lean mince
2. A capsicum
3. 2 cans of baked beans
4. Chilli sauce and or chillis
5. Baby Tomatoes
6. Maybe some dry spaghetti bolognase mix if it tickles your fancy
7. a wok or large cooking pot
8. a glass of water

What you needs to do

1. Prepare a wok and make it hot.
2. Once searing hot add mince
3. Stir around until brown. Add little bits of water to stop it from sticking. But not too much that it drowns the food.
4. Add the spaghetti packet mix and little bits of water until mixed through the mince
5. Add once can of baked beans and mix through
6. After 4-5 min or so add another can of baked beans
7. Add a diced capsicum (or pepper as you international folk like to call it)
7. Add a dose of chilli sauce to give it some gusto
8. About a minute before serving add a half or dozen of baby tomatoes that have been diced in half, they won't cook through, so they will still be nice and fresh
9. Put on top of pasta, spaghetti, rice (preferably brown)

Should take 20min+ to finish. Designed to feed several people or one snickothemule.

Why I like this dish? It is easy, tastes alright and is easily modifyable. It got the hobo cuising name from the baked beans, and from the volume of food it would satisfy and homeless person and thier friends. This dish won't set your tastebuds on fire, but after a day of hard labour it is quite fulfilling.

·
soshin
2,595 Posts
@Snicko: :drool: it may be simple but also sounds tasty. What kind of beans are usually used in that recipe? My wife usually uses fresh red beans instead of packed/ canned ones. Are those okay? Or are ground nuts usable? Beans and chili can't go wrong anytime, mate :D though the gas problems will surely follow (well, in my case at least :p).

@Iruka: Ah, so that's what. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see gravy mainly consists of cream, mushrooms, some broth, milk, salt, and pepper? It does sound delicious.

·
7,828 Posts
Any type of bean would work fine. Fresh is always the best way to go but the canned stuff works alright as well. The beans are essentially designed to be used as a bulking agent, but they are also tasty and full of good stuff.

If you want to forgo the chilli to give your bum a bit of a break I substitute them with mixed herbs and mushrooms. Gives is a much different taste, a little more dry in texture, but is great when you want to go for an alternative flavor that isn't so heavy on the belly. Plus the mushrooms look great in contrast with the peppers and tomatoes.

·
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@Snicko: :drool: it may be simple but also sounds tasty. What kind of beans are usually used in that recipe? My wife usually uses fresh red beans instead of packed/ canned ones. Are those okay? Or are ground nuts usable? Beans and chili can't go wrong anytime, mate :D though the gas problems will surely follow (well, in my case at least :p).

@Iruka: Ah, so that's what. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see gravy mainly consists of cream, mushrooms, some broth, milk, salt, and pepper? It does sound delicious.
Hmm...somewhat.

I just used Cream of Mushroom Soup and Cream of Chicken Soup, 2 cans of evaporated milk and then salt and pepper....

But I think that you could do it separately of getting cream and mixing it with some broth and evaporated milk. You could add the mushrooms and salt and pepper. It's just easier for me to make the gravy with the soups and evaporated milk and the taste certainly wasn't risked by doing it. ;)

@ruantech: Very interesting recipe. Have you tried it out yet?

·
7,828 Posts
Power omelate

What you need

1. 2-3 eggs (depending on how much omelate you want)
2. Small tin of tuna, flavoured if you please (sundried tomato highly reccommended)
3. A pan

What you need to do

1. Mix the three eggs with the small tin of tuna in a bowl. Include the whole egg, some say to take out the yolk and only use the whites but that is a waste of money.

2. Pour the vomit like concoction into a pan over a high heat.

3. Flip once and ensure it is cooked well. If you want to be fancy perhaps do the folding thing those fancy tv chefs do.

4. Serve while hot. Should take around 5 minutes to prepare and cook.

This is a power omelate that I use when I need a massive hit of protein to start my day, or to have after a workout or while camping. The flavoured tuna tins add different tastes so experiment a bit until you get something you like.

The best thing about this meal is that it is very cheap. Gets a bit more expensive with free range eggs, but the flavour is much better and generally nets you a better omelate. It is also insanely easy to prepare.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Sorry, I can't contribute. I love eating, but I can't cook to save my own life. Sliced bread and cheese are gourmet food as far as my cooking skills are concerned :p

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.