Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Learnt about this browsing around the ol' interwebs today, it's rather amusing! Probably as old as the hills, but cunning anyhow.

Take an MP3, in this case Spam_Song.mp3 and rename it to Spam_Song.raw, which photoshop or infranview will open as an image, don't tweak any settings, just click 'ok'.

Then save the image as *.png, ready to distribute on forums, or anywhere:


The viewer can then save the garbage looking PNG to their hard drive and use their art program to save it back as *.raw (0 header), and then rename to *.mp3 It even saves the tag information :heh:

Way to avoid the RIAA? I doubt it, but for the less suspecting, a sneaky why of sharing audio clips, or hidden msgs, though I dare say a garbage sig image may look a tad suspicious unless your nick name is "Static on the TV" :lol:
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
Wow. It really is true, that when ckemu hits file > save in photoshop it gets posted on ngemu. Also, duh? Since when does changing the file extension ever have any affect on the data?
 

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
Joined
·
21,982 Posts
Probably as old as the hills, but cunning anyhow.
yeah, you're right about that. i remember doing this years and years ago to "trick" upload sites that would only let you upload files of a certain extension.
though I dare say a garbage sig image may look a tad suspicious
and where are you gonna find a <25kb mp3 file :rolleyes:

and in an era of yousendit.com and theupload.com among many many others, do we really have to do this silly stuff anymore?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reichfuher said:
Wow. It really is true, that when ckemu hits file > save in photoshop it gets posted on ngemu. Also, duh? Since when does changing the file extension ever have any affect on the data?
#1: It got saved as a PNG, thus atleast some data was changed, moved around, whatever.
#2: No I don't post everything I save in photoshop, unless you want to see holiday snaps of me, or my current work projects.
#3:I was simply posting because it was interesting to me, wasn't aware of it before and thought other people may find it interesting or rather daft what the ol' interweb can throw up.
#4: Cheer up, if you don't like and it doesn't break the rules, you don't actually have to post :guitar:

Hushy, yeah mate of mine was commenting that around the 199x era it was fairly common, utterly useless these days because as you say the various free upload sites we have do us proud. Suppose you could get "Elly is a Girl" into 25KB :lol:

The rename to raw and then save as PNG 'trick' can be applied to mpg's and an array of different files, suppose with OGG you could get atleast "For BIOZ and Warez goto blah.com" into a sig :p Kind of reminds me of being a kid and writting in invisable ink, or sharing msg's with my sister in 'code'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
There used to be a program around that would fit any kind of file into a jpeg of your choosing. The picture would look the same, but the size would, of course, be much greater. It wasn't very popular, though. I only found one site that actually used it.
 

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
CKemu said:
Hushy, yeah mate of mine was commenting that around the 199x era it was fairly common, utterly useless these days because as you say the various free upload sites we have do us proud. Suppose you could get "Elly is a Girl" into 25KB :lol:
Oi...Don't get me involved into this. :eek:nthepull

Yours,
-E
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
CKemu said:
#1: It got saved as a PNG, thus atleast some data was changed, moved around, whatever.
#2: No I don't post everything I save in photoshop, unless you want to see holiday snaps of me, or my current work projects.
#3:I was simply posting because it was interesting to me, wasn't aware of it before and thought other people may find it interesting or rather daft what the ol' interweb can throw up.
#4: Cheer up, if you don't like and it doesn't break the rules, you don't actually have to post :guitar:
#1: PNG Is a lossless format.
#2: Even if it compressed images through reducing image quality like jpeg, your all black and white photos wouldnt change. Therefore, nothing has changed ie: "OMG it still workses!!!11".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compressing the image will add artifacts into the data, thus changing the sound when changed back, I drew in a smilie face, and then put it back to MP3, and whilst looking smilie it didn't sound so good. by changing it to PNG and then back to MP3 adds garbage data to the end of the file, which most MP3 players will ignore, however thats not always the case, so yes folks it does change.

It's not like you're just renaming MP3 to PNG, because that wouldn't work ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,583 Posts
Actually, no. It adds two parts to the beginning (IHDR [header] and PLTE [palette]) and 1 part to the end (IEND [trailer]). The IDAT layer or image data layer contains the original MP3 contents. When you revert back to MP3, the IDAT is all Photoshop would need to convert the format. MP3 players won't read it as a *.png, because it expects the MP3 header to be in place of the IHDR.
 

·
Emulation to the max!
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
It would to be cool if some song or sound actually created a picture that wasn't static.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top