Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shadow Warrior is a re-imagining of the 3D Realms FPS that went by the same name. This game is done by Flying Wild Hog, who are a relatively new studio. This is their second game under the Flying Wild Hog name, the first being Hard Reset, a sci-fi FPS. The studio has people that worked on the original Painkiller games, as well as some people who worked on The Witcher. The game runs on their in-house engine known as Road Hog.

This game is great. It's sort of like the original, but it shares more similarities to Painkiller than anything. It also has really cool, in-depth sword mechanics and dismemberment that are fun to use.

This game also has beautiful aesthetics. The models are a bit on the low-poly side, but great texturing, lighting (which is mostly dynamic, if not completely), colors, and general visual effects easily make up for it. The graphics always give off a very vibrant feeling, even in the run-down industrial areas, due to its use of light shafts, bloom, and pleasing colors.

The game, however, is not very well-optimized at the moment. I've heard reports of people, on max settings at least, getting frame drops below 60, and even below 40, on high-end machines that can take games like Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 without a problem. It's a shame, because Hard Reset had some of the best optimization I've seen in a long time, and not seeing this game follow suit is kind of sad.

DISCLAIMER: Some of the screenshots aren't at max settings. A lot of them are, but ones such as the ones I took during combat, and the ones that I took before I started setting up the game for screenshots, are not at max settings. Beforehand, all of the screenshots I took weren't at max settings, but I put some that someone else took in there that were. Now I took those out, and added my own max settings screenshots.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1100293184353996767/73F1EE373A1C0747A4BD5C5191D4D096A893ED47/

[img]http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/1100293184353998007/897B3479D5BB5EC652927C7008D2919E27EEBF53/

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Did you play the original? Would you say this is a worthy successor?
And on what system are you running it at what FPS?

And wow at the low resness of that one pic you posted...that's downright terrible.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
It's not terrible, it's deliberately like that as a throwback to the original Shadow Warrior.

Game looks so damn pretty, will be getting this for sure. The only thing I want from this game is a voice pack of the original Lo Wang.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I would say it nothing like the original, it doesn't have the well hidden secrets, almost no interactivity like controlling remote control cars and it is very linear while the original had a large open map.

Honestly I would say it is worse than original, it has the cruddy magic system where you press a direction twice and then a button and a combo system better suited for a fighting game than fps.

The original had style, great level design, weapons and enemies. At least with the original had humor, some of it was cheesy but it wasn't bad, the remake it is just silly and dumb.

This remake has the most repetitive level design, I mean the repetition is so bad was about to shout in anger at the amount of times I open a door to an area just filled with bamboo.

Also the AI in the original was better, the enemies had a behavior pattern and stealth is possible, where as the remake the stealth where you sneak up on enemies from behind is more scripted. The AI the remake is just attack and the difficulty is just throwing wave after wave of enemies.

If I had a choice I would play the original but the new remake is not bad, it is not just amazing either just very average with flashy visuals, honestly if you put the remake in the same engine as the original, the original will kill it.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
At least better than DNF though?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Did you play the original? Would you say this is a worthy successor?
And on what system are you running it at what FPS?

And wow at the low resness of that one pic you posted...that's downright terrible.
Which low-res pic? You mean one of the secret areas I showed where they imported assets from the original game, or one of the screenshots that wasn't at max settings?

I played the original, and although this game is definitely different, it's still a very enjoyable experience and I'd definitely say it's a worthy successor. The combat is very fun, the level design is good, and the enemy variety is nice. It's more similar to Painkiller than the original Shadow Warrior, since Flying Wild Hog has many People Can Fly developers in it. The sword combat is amazing, especially on Advanced Steering mode.

And some of the secrets are very well-hidden unlike what that one guy said. I don't think I've ever found all the secrets in a level before. However, some of the secrets are somewhere lame like under a bridge or in a corner, and they'll make you wonder how they thought that warranted a secret. So they're a mixed bag.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Ah, not that I'm actually very interested or that I played the original, but it's always nice knowing that a remake manages to capture at least some of the feel and that it's enjoyable rather than being a tasteless generic mess which only happens to carry the same name

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
It's not terrible, it's deliberately like that as a throwback to the original Shadow Warrior.

Game looks so damn pretty, will be getting this for sure. The only thing I want from this game is a voice pack of the original Lo Wang.

no, its terrible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, and also:

My specs are:

2.5GB GTX 570 HD GPU

AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU

8GB 1600MHz RAM

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Starting to get old, planning on upgrading once I have the money.

I never was tracking the framerate, but in instances of heavy combat I sometimes felt like I tanked to sub-20, and that's on my normal gameplay settings, not max. With AA maxed out (instead of turned off) it was 30 or less at almost all times. The general consensus in the Steam forums was that the shadows, post-processing, SSAO, and real-time reflections were the system-killers. Even after I disabled/turned those down, I still got some pretty bad tanks. And the first real boss fight was in an area that dropped my framerate at random, literally dropping down to 20 or lower at random times even with my camera completely still, so I had to turn more things down in order to stop that from happening. Kind of disappointing considering how well-optimized Hard Reset was. If you're wondering, Hard Reset, which used a slightly older version of the same engine, ran above 60 at all times on the same machine, sometimes even breaking triple digits.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Damn, IGN gave the game such a glowing review that I almost feel like playing it now despite HATING demon and monster shooters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts