Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this is my first post, id like to say. i am a rookie, not a noob. i usually just read the fourms, not post on them. im also heavy into the psp dev and hombrew scene, but back on topic... ;)

here are my questions,
- does epsxe read any form of compression, or do i need to just feed it the ".bin" and ".img" ect.? having 20gigs of cd backup images really bugs me...

- is it alright to "run iso" if they are coming of a dvd with many games isos, and not the imgs or will that slow it down as much as running of a cd by itself?

- if there is no compression, what form of image is best, the bins, imgs or others?

- i know the ps2 can play psx games because it has an extra set of hardware, so does that mean ps2 emu's are unable to play psx games? like... backward compatable ps2 emus.

i know... all my question were related to my finding a way to simplify my clutter, if theres a better way tell me :thumb:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
1. you can use mooby's plugin to compress and read compressed ISO images
2. DVD drives are pretty much the same speed as CD rom drives, so it's like playing off the CD when you run an ISO off a DVD
3. all of them are the same, in that they hold the same data. you might want to do straight up ISO files as they are just one file :p personally i use bin/cue.
4. the PS2 has a "mini PS1" (you can think of it that way). PS2 emulators do not emulate this, they only emulate the PS2. therefore, PS2 emulators cannot play PSX games. and why would you want them to, when you have so many excellent PSX emulators....

·
Registered
332 Posts
say, hushy, mooby's plugie compresses and runs bz files fine, but the compression sucks compared to rar.
However mooby's plugie DOES seem to support rar files, but when I try to open one it says that it couldn't extract the image from the file.. Got any tips?

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
yeah, it supports an older version of RAR, i cant remember the exact versions at the moment though. what are we on now, winrar 3.x or something, you have to use winrar 2.x compression IIRC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and why would you want them to, when you have so many excellent PSX emulators....
:by hushypushy

i know what you mean, the emu's need individual optimization yet, but my point was... "Visual boy advance" for example, can play gameboy games, gameboy color games and gameboy advance games. my question was merely if ps2 emus could do that :D

if it worked, modern winrar could cut my games size by 2/3. ive done it to transport and it changes from 20 gigs to 8-9 gigs thats a big difference.

*also thanks for the quick reply :thumb:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Actually, Hushy, PS1 code is executed on the PS2's IO processor, which happens to be the same as the PS1's CPU.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
yeah, that's not all there is to the PS2, i know there is a seperate part that deals with PS1 only...if only i could find a link to a page that explained it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.