Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we have this spam bot (or chinese teen wow farmer) here who is posting 40 posts in 5 minutes

http://forums.ngemu.com/members/195539.html

perhaps we could do something like limit the speed at which brand new posters can post in the first 4-24 hours or so.

No brand new member is going to be posting +7 posts in a 5 minute span. And then when the 4-24 hours are up they get regular posting rights.

Perhaps even 1 post every 2-5 minutes or something like that for the first few hours? That seems pretty lax and not able to get in anyones way.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Enabling post moderation for users below 100 posts, when the post includes links would be effective. other forums use this method and it is 100% effective against spam.

We have hardly any active super moderators, so appointing some of the long term/dedicated members maybe?

Cid and Exodus rotflmao.

Ah, my idea already has implementation

Prevent Spam Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Enabling post moderation for users below 100 posts, when the post includes links would be effective. other forums use this method and it is 100% effective against spam.
I've used this on other forums and it's a giant PITA.
Yeah, it stops users from seeing spam, but the mods still have to do something with those posts, then have to go through all posts to find out what is spam and what's legit, and noobs who don't understand that their post is pending approval don't know why their post isn't showing up and they try to post it again... and again. So you have to go through multiple threads to sort out which one should be approved.
It's good in theory, a lot more work in practice.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Indeed, which is why i went and found that lovely hack up there which works much more efficiently :).

its not foolproof, but with the right list of url strings, it could block a good number of the spam posts.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
We have hardly any active super moderators, so appointing some of the long term/dedicated members maybe?
perhaps we could do something like limit the speed at which brand new posters can post in the first 4-24 hours or so.
Specifically, the limit just has to be returned to be "1 post every 60 seconds" or so (it used to be the case before). Whenever the message even pops in, one is generally just 10 seconds away from being allowed to post again after all, so thats a duration tolerable enough.
The normal limit is group-specific btw, not dependant on regdates.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
No, setting it back to 60 seconds would be the defeatists route.

There are ways to prevent spam from even hitting the board, all it takes is proper configuration of the prevent spam mod.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
One bot every 4 days?
Someone, people will survive that.

These other boards you meantion are stringent on member quality, and generally force people to be registered for one hour or more before having posting privileges unlocked (noobs and spambots are not caterred to).

One forum attended sets the posting right unlocking threshold at 3 days (after registering, you have to wait for 3 days before you can post anything). The ultimate anti-noob and spambot safety.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
One forum i was at, prevents url's but will upgrade you to a usergroup capable of it, when requested.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
There was a bot attack at 4am this morning...... does that count as yesterday?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Your time or mine? :emb:

It's not unusual for them to spend a day or so registering accounts across however many forums, another day approving them all, another day doing the spamming.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
too bad i can't search the members list by their location.... i'd report everyone with location set to 1 as bots.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
One forum attended sets the posting right unlocking threshold at 3 days (after registering, you have to wait for 3 days before you can post anything). The ultimate anti-noob and spambot safety.
I really hope you're not suggesting this for here? Just imagine yourself being a newbie with a positive attitude. You read the ePSXe FAQ that comes with the emulator but still can't find what you're looking for. Instead it refers you to ngemu.com (as it did me, many years ago ;)), you want to play this game as quickly as possible and hope you can get the answer the other day, and maybe the same night if lucky. Then you find out you have to wait for 3 bloody days. I'd be totally pissed off myself and wouldn't even bother signing up, I'd simply look for another reputable emulation forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
I really hope you're not suggesting this for here?
No.

Just sharing for giggles what some other forums absudrly stringent on antispam, post and member quality do. If you cannot find answers to your questions under 3 days, by all means just ask then, if the search functions, stickies and thread really didnt bring an answer (its a horribly "antinoob system").

Just imagine yourself being a newbie with a positive attitude...Then you find out you have to wait for 3 bloody days. I'd be totally pissed off myself and wouldn't even bother signing up, I'd simply look for another reputable emulation forum.
Yes, terribly anti-newcomer.
btw, the forum I was referring to had it at 3 days 3 or 4 years ago.
Its now set at 7 days :p

·
Registered
560 Posts
btw, the forum I was referring to had it at 3 days 3 or 4 years ago.
Its now set at 7 days :p
At a forum I've been on +6 years we had to wait a month.
I thought it was good. You had to spend a month lurking, learning, you were a better quality member in the end.

I would NOT suggest it for this forum, but it does work for some.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, the irony.

Undoubtedly this spammer manually placed this one intentionally in this thread.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Exodus is glued to his computer, if he was a super mod, that bot would've been dealt with 52 minutes ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts