Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
The game doesn't work at 60fps! wow, bet that stunned you.

most games from that era use framerates depending on the layers rendered on the screen, Final Fantasy for instance, uses 25 and 30FPS on the map, but 50 and 60 when in battle.

now the reason for the video seeming so fast when the audio isn't, is because it is too fast, most commonly its caused by multithreading. it screws up the fps calculation and causes too much speed, or instable framerates.

Disabling opengl multithreading (or global multithreading) in the display driver, or via task manager (set affinity to 0) prevents the fps calculation from screwing up.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
In task manager, right click on the epsxe process and in the Affinity menu, set it to core 0.

to disable it, depending on your gfx card (if nvidia) you can use nhancer to create a profile for epsxe, and disable opengl multithreading in the compatibility tab.

I should actually rewrite my initial response because it is actually somewhat inaccurate.

The fps that shows up on screen when you have it show fps is actually fields per second, and this should always range from 49 - 59.91 fps.
However using an application such as fraps, you will find the Frames per Second range from 25 - 60 depending on what is shown on screen.

because multithreading screws with the FPS calculation the driver tends to render the FPS as a multiple of fps, so you would actually be seeing 120FPS being rendered when it should only be 60.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
yes i use a nvidia card, and i only have the card's control panel. nothing called nhancer. i can still make profiles for games but none of the options have to do with opengl multithreading or global multithreading. maybe it's called something different. also, using windows xp pro i can't find anything about affinity in the task manager context window for epsxe.exe. all i can do is set its "priority" which ranges from realtime, to low. assuming this is what you're talking about, i've set it to low and will try. i'll edit this post with the result.

thanks for the help, hopefully i'll be able to fix this. i think we're just having communication errors :)

edit: okay so the reason i can't set the affinity for a process (according to the task manager help file) is because that's only available for multi core processors. i'm using a single core processor.

edit again: i downloaded nHancer and created a profile for epsxe. i was able to disable opengl multithreading but nothing has changed. 60fps is still a bit faster than what i'm used to on the console. 50fps plays just how i want it, though. but the music and sound still slows down as if it's attached to the video frame rate. look, i can get the game to play at whatever speed i want. that was never a problem. i want to change the rate that the SOUND plays at. i really don't think my point is getting across correctly.
Exactly what cpu do you have :/

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
FoxSevent, I'll prove you wrong with a kick to the throat, now gtfo the thread since you aren't providing any help at all.

gfx Plugin
Petes OGL 1.77 or 2.9
set FPS limit to 60 (not auto)
Disable Frameskipping

sfx Plugin
Eternal SPU 1.4 or 1.5b2
set buffer to 48
Set Audio thread to spuasync = smooth or wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts