Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions as to what the hell might be happening to my pc. I send my mobo to get it fix, ok now I have the new mobo. I hook my pc just like it was when I first bought all parts and guess what, temps are really bad now. I posted a screenshot below so u guys can see the temps, The processor is not even OCed like it was before and I get temps worst than when it was OCed.

Maybe u guys can determine if the mobo may be screwing things up, these temps are just ridiculous, I have even open the window, and heck it is 5C outside.

Specs are on sig, hope someone has had this problem before and knows a solution.

btw : those are idle temps, if I use an APP that stress my pc a lot (pcsx2, prime95, etc.....), the system will even shut down do to high temps.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
that's not very hot, its normal. My temperatures are more than yours. But since your system shuts down then maybe it is a problem.
my cpu temperature is wrong so don't consider that.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
clean the cpu and heatsink, and apply some artic silver, that'll bring idle temps down from between 5-10c.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
Perhaps it's better to tell us first which CPU cooler your using, and your room temperature. 5C outside doesn't mean much unless your PC is outside... I got a window open to, and outside it's 2C, and inside it's 16C...

My guess for now would be badly mounted cpu cooler.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Meh, so it seems my sensor has gone bad, I re-apply thermal paste, after removing the old one in the processor and heatsink that is. My temps did go down quite a bit, but PC Probe reports 20C which was what the BIOS reported, but then look at the mobo temp (screenshot below), also my CPU temps went from 20C to 120C, so yeah is bad.

At least I managed to lower my temps a bit, do u guys think I should trust RealTemp's reading when OCing my processor or which one do u think would at least give me an estimimate when my processor is burning up.

I do not like this bad sensor problem at all, but I guess I'll have to live with it until I buy a new 1.

thx all for the help, at least it made me realize that something is bad on my comp.

btw : my cooler is a Tuniq Tower 120, yeah yeah, stop pointing fingers at me, I know I'm left behind for now, once I feel like joining Phil's 4.00GHz orgasm club I will buy a new cooler.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
modern cpu temps are reported through diodes built into the cpu itself.

I still say something is freezing your mainboards smbus.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
No, if your replacement board has bad sensors that is forcing your PC to shut down since it falsely thinks it's running hotter than it is, you should send it back again instead of "living with it".

Edit: redlofredlof, he's referring to his CPU temperatures, in which yours are much cooler than his.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahaha, clumsy me, forgot to upload the Screenshot, scroll up to my second post to check the temps I get now.

If u still think the mobo is the cause of all this, then post back and I will contact Asus to get a replacement.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
If they're the same or similar (it may be off due to mounting) temperatures as you had before with the previous board, then the board isn't the problem, but since all else is the same, if it's way off, then yeah, I'd say there is a problem with it.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
Your not the only person with temperature problems on a Asus P5Q-Deluxe. If you read their forum you can see that the Deluxe has some strange temperature issues. Sometimes going to 100C, and sometimes going in the minus. It's a common problem with the Deluxe.

Don't know which bios your running. But perhaps updating can help. Though i suggest to not go beyond 1406. I got 1702 myself. Haven't notice any bad things. But people on the Asus forum says 1406 is the best. And my CPU temperatures are 5C lower in Windows. (everest/Hwmonitor/Speedfan). Bios temp 25, Windows will only show 20 or so >.<

Luckily i haven't had those strange (100C or minus xx) temperature readings with my P5Q-Deluxe.

As for the temperature spiking. My old P5QL-E had that to. With almost everything. Videocard/CPU/Mobo. I notice the fans do spin faster if it's controlled by Qfan. But CPU won't throttle at 100C.

Your Everest and Real temp are outdated btw... Realtemp fixed Intel Tjunction a few month ago. That was v 2.7 or something...

edit: Btw, if you don't use onboard ESata or the Marvell Raid (both orange sata connectors on your board), your best off disabling them in the bios. It will cut off 10 seconds of your boot time. It's nothing great... but i like my pc to boot fast :heh:

I think this applies to almost everyone with a P5Q board with a Marvell controller thingy.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
poor mainboard design by asus..... this is getting to be a habbit.

i have an A7N8X Deluxe 1.0x, which has the reverse polarity center speaker port (soundstorm)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yeah, the temp bug is one I think I forgot about Asus when I got my P5Q. (Although every motherboard I have ever used temp monitoring software on has reported nonsense temps...so I always thought it was my personal curse..not ASUS related, thus I gave them another chance (plus over here Gigabyte are a fair bit more expensive))

Genereally my temps are fine, but sometimes it gets stuck at 113C CPU temp (seems to be related to watching anime or using my TV card...somehow a media related program causes the bogus jump), nothing happens though and my core temp remains the same.
Sometimes when I start my CPU the CPU temp is at 26C though and other times it's a 40C,

Btw 40C as a core temp whilst not stellar is fine, your temps look perfectly normal to me.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that is a load off my main, I rather not go through RMAs and Asus poor service again. The first P5Q-Dlx I had was fine, but this new 1 is just a piece of work. OCed my processor to 3.44GHz, yay pcsx2 can now be open.

@ Sephi : the Bios update did cross my mind, but luckily I didn't go through with it, nice to know that 1406 (which is the 1 that came with this mobo) is the most stable of them all.

I guess I will just forget about annoying temps seeing as how I don't plan to go to the 4.00GHz regular OC, 500 FSB for 4.00GHz is just too much for my RAM, I rather not push it too much.

Thx for the help, nice to know Asus still making a lousy job with their mobos, when will they change.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used Zalman -Super Thermal grease.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
Never heard of it before :D

I would only consider:
Arctic Silver 5
Arctic Cooling MX-2

Btw Master_DX
Could you do me a favor? I flashed my bios back from 1702 to 1406. But that required me manually pulling bios chip out, because the Deluxe has 2, i could flash the old one back. But i dropped one of the bios chip, and i'm not sure if i have put it back in correct.

First time i put it back in i burned my finger.. (yes my mobo is still alive, as well as the bios chip). Sort of prove of Asus rock solid quality :p I even dropped this mobo with a Mugen mounted on it.

Could you make a picture or tell me what direction the text is on the bios chip(should say something like MX)? Both of mine are normal(so not upside down) and can be read normally when it's in a pc case. When i put one up side down, i fried my finger >.< But i just want to confirm it's correct now, and that it didn't fried my finger because i was doing it with the PC being on. (don't call me a idiot, it was in the instruction to keep pc on during flashing and swapping chips)

The Bios chips are located about 10 o clock above the motherboard internal power/reset button.

Thanks in advance.

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Srry for the lousy screenshot, took it with my phone with the comp on, and it is kinda hard seeing as how I can't move my comp much unless I turn off my comp and remove all cables.

By looking at the pic which is backwards u can see that the notch on the IC Chip should be facing left.

@ lol u burning ur finger, Asus's method of swaping chips doesn't seem safe but oh well, hope ZI never have to go through that process.

Edit : re-uploaded the pic with the right angle.

Edit2 : At the time I bought the Thermal paste, I went to a store and that was the best one they had, I may buy some Arctic Silver 5 later on, though I doubt it will give me any noticeable decrease in temps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts