Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hell I know this is old news but its new to me,so for others that don't know,Sega is getting back into the hardware market and making 2 new arcade boards.This is a big step for Sega actually being that much closer to coming back in the console market.I hope that they will release a console for the next upcoming systems in a few years or so.Hell with Nintendo rising from the ashes and Sony falling behind,right now I absolutely 100% think that anything is possible and consumers will buy what they want.

I actually would buy one of these for a gaming pc if they were cheap enough lol.

Ringedge:

Intel Pentium E2160 CPU @ 1.8 GHz

1GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM

An “nVidia GPU” w/ 384MB of GDDR3 RAM and supports Shader Model 4.0 and “two 1920×1200″ which probably means it has ports for two monitors and can support up to that resolution.

5.1 ch HD Audio

Onboard Gigabit LAN

A 32GB SSD drive for storage

Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009

ALL.Net

Ringwide:

An Intel Celeron 440 @ 2 GHz

1GB of DDR2 PC5300 RAM

“AMD GPU” with 128MB of GDDR3 RAM, supports Shader Model 4.0 and also has two ports to handle 1920×1200 resolution video

5.1 ch HD Audio

Onboard gigabit LAN

An 8GB Compact Flash for storage

Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009

ALL.Net

This gets me so excited!

·
band
5,270 Posts
Interesting, but as diablo2121 has said, Sega has been making arcade hardware all along.

From my own point of view though, the Dreamcast was a very special machine and a pioneer of many things in my eyes. Hardware specwise, it was a very competitive machine that I think is an engineering marvel.

To me though, the most special part of the Dreamcast was its GPU or VPU or whatever one wants to call it. The graphics chip by PowerVR. It supported quite a number of special features, such as a very high texture compression ratio (which made it use its video ram very efficiently) and its unconventional hardware-based tile rendering technique, which allowed it to render only visible parts of a scene. Overall the cost efficiency of it was very high, and it didn't have to resort to using exotic parts and techniques like the PS2.

To me, for a Sega machine to be truly a successor to the Dreamcast, it must embody those aspects in its design :D That said, I would probably still be very happy to hear of a new Sega home console.

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totaly agree,I think it would have to resemble the Dreamcast like a retro look.

On a side note,I was on youtube and some guy said that in Sega's patent for the Ring/edge,wide they have a patent design for a new controller,and also some gaming machine/home console I would hope.But as you know on the interwebs that's all hearsay.I am looking for more info as I type this.Also signing up at Sega of America to find out more.

Here is the Youtube link I was referring to.
YouTube - 26Y 090220 AOU09 RINGEDGE / RINGWIDE

I will reply back when I find more info on if this **** is true or not,although I will not get my hopes up just from some anonymous guy on youtube......;)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
From my own point of view though, the Dreamcast was a very special machine and a pioneer of many things in my eyes. Hardware specwise, it was a very competitive machine that I think is an engineering marvel.

To me, for a Sega machine to be truly a successor to the Dreamcast, it must embody those aspects in its design :D That said, I would probably still be very happy to hear of a new Sega home console.
This ^ 9999. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I totaly agree,I think it would have to resemble the Dreamcast like a retro look.

On a side note,I was on youtube and some guy said that in Sega's patent for the Ring/edge,wide they have a patent design for a new controller,and also some gaming machine/home console I would hope.But as you know on the interwebs that's all hearsay.I am looking for more info as I type this.Also signing up at Sega of America to find out more.

Here is the Youtube link I was referring to.
YouTube - 26Y 090220 AOU09 RINGEDGE / RINGWIDE

I will reply back when I find more info on if this **** is true or not,although I will not get my hopes up just from some anonymous guy on youtube......;)
This would be excellent news to see them back on the console market, there is only so much you can see of their mascots on other consoles, even if in my opinion the new sonic games were trash.

waits for return of Segata Sanshiro.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
*wondering who cares*

Sega had a lot of innovations and development strategies that were... at the least, brilliant. However it saved me a lot more time(and money) not buying the "Sega anything" and instead just buying the next thing to do it better.

Dreamcast could go online but sucked at it.
PS2 could go online and kicked ass

Dreamcast introduced the original xbox-style controller.
It felt a lot better once Microsoft was done copying it.

Sega is great and all but... other companies just do their work a lot better than they do.

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya,their latest games weren't as hot as some of their past titles,but I think they just needed the motivation to really succeed.Sega of America was aggressive and had a "Go get it approach",whilst Sega of Japan was more or less easy to give up the fight after only 18 months love affair with the Dreamcast....that is unacceptable for such an awesome company.They should have sold the company to Microsoft and kept the console going......er on second thought never mind that last statement. ;)

Then after Microsoft learned the ins and outs of the Gaming business from Sega whilst developing Windows CE for the Dreamcast they just ran off with all that knowledge and made the Xbox.Then Peter Moore from Sega jumped ship also in 2003 and joined ranks with Micro$oft lol.

Well I guess I'm just too nostalgic,I'm 25 and miss the old times in 2000-01 kicking back with my friends and just enjoying being a teenager,I guess that's what I miss most,and why I long for Sega to make a real comeback so badly.I remember the first time I fired up Seaman and spoke into the microphone,or when I first got Shenmue and I played it for 3 days straight and hardly slept a wink until I beat it!I miss times like that.

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder tho,what will this hardware bring to gaming in general even if we don't get any Sega home system?Ideas?I know of at least 2 games that are going to be made so far on the system.Well here are where the rumors of a new Sega console are also spoken of.

Hello everyone!

It looks like there's some exciting news for old Sega fans and gamers alike.

Kotaku.com has reported that SEGA corporation of Japan has filed a patent for NEW next-gen hardware going by the names of "RingWide" and "RingEdge".

According to the article: "Three trademarks popped up for use with video game software, arcade game boards, stand alone game machines and arcade game machines with built-in screens. The trademarks appear to be linked and are for "RINGWIDE," "RINGEDGE" and a logo with rings."

"Stand alone game machines(home consoles)!"

The trademark was filed on Friday January 30,2009 http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/04...cade-hardware/

It appears that the logos have rings in them and in addition to designing a new arcade boards SEGA has stated plans on the patent to use the hardware for "stand alone video game machines" which bears a strong possiblity that this next gen board may be patented into a future home console which means that Sega now is considering making another console run.

Unlike the Lindbergh, which had a Japanese only release in 2006 and was patented only for use in asia on September 3,2005. The Ringwide and Ringedge has be trademarked for use in both the U.S., Japan and Europe.

Since the U.S. arcade market is basically dead, it wouldn't be very wise for Sega to release the hardware as arcade only. Also, SEGA has always based thier home consoles off of arcade boards. The Genesis/MD is based off of System 16, The SEGA CD/MEGA CD is based off of System 24, Saturn off of System 32 M3 and Dreamcast off of Naomi. So this new technology stands a chance a becoming a home game console.

The idea of Sega returning to the console market is exciting. Most of it dates back to late 2007 when the Dreamcast 2 speculation firs begin after Sega filed a patent to protect the name, many gamers tried to blow it off. And Nintendo fanboys foolishly tried to decieve themselves into thinking that it meant that DC games would be availible for the Wii VC(which DID not happen at all.)

For each fan or fanboy, it's a mixed bag. SEGA
's return would unite the Sega fan revolution back to support them for another hardware run. Sony fans hate the idea, and many are now worried of it as a possiblity that PS3 may be phased out by another Sega console, due to dismal sales of PS3 so they try to convice themselves that this is a hoax or that Sega has no plans to built a new console. Xbox fans are probably alot more optimistic about a DC 2, hopefull that it can get the PS3 out of the way and get some or it's own ports on the 360.

Once this news hits, it's going to spread like wildfire and the NEW SEGA console rumors are going to grow. There will be many who will try to dismiss it, believe it to be a strong likelyhood. There's reason for thier to be doubt. Sega hasn't launched a console in ten years, they left the hardware market in 2001, and since then have spent the pass decade trying to milk the Sonic franchise,picking up dozens of developers, and releasing mostly average software.

But in Japan the Lindbergh has gained a strong following and is I heard very successful. During the Dreamcast's day, Sega was going bankrupt and was forced to launch the DC in order to stay in the hardware market. And although the DC was a flop in Japan due to it being rushed out in time for Thanksgiving 1998, it did very well in the U.S. Even though Sony did thier best to phase out DC with PS2, Sega made the decision to quit once they heard about Xbox and Gamecube.

It's interesting to note that Sega remains THE only former hardware game maker left. Atari went out of business in 2003(it's name was sold off to Infrogrames) both Mattel Electronics and Coleco shut down after the crash of 1984. SNK went into hibernation after closing thier U.S. division in 2000. And NEC left the video game business for good in 1994, never to return.

Here's some other articles on the subject:

Is Sega planning a return to the console market? | The Digital Home - CNET News
Here is the article in full.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/blog.php?b=1540

However it will definitely be some time before we see any "next gen" console from Sega,this is definitely great news nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The problem is, at best, graphics-only people will NOT be impressed. As the max capabilities of this "setup" would be similar to their "Lindbergh". Machine (It's basically a cut-cost version of this arcade machine), which is the board used in House of the Dead 4. Which does run in HD, although it's FPS isn't consistent in 60FPS.

If it's released as a home console system, it's gonna be the middleman between the Wii and the PS3/X360. But then, it will also be as easy to program to as the Wii..... Interesting. :)

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well I think that they would at least wait and use DX10 if they are going for off-the-shelf parts I.E. PC based hardware.Those cards can be cheap now.Also if they are going to use Windows again why not make a deal with Micro$oft to give them the rights to produce a small OS that incorporates DX10?I still think its too early to tell if they will make a new console,but hey we can "DREAM" cant we? ;)

Edit,I found the patents if you are interested? ;)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
We can dream, but it's not likely. I didn't know they made a successor to Lindbergh though.
It's again pretty much a pc, I see... now, let's hope they'll make a bunch of good games for it as well... and uh, they should port After Burner Climax to a console already.

·
Snuff the rooster
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya,its still nice to see tho that they did include in their patent "stand alone game machines",which many people believe to be a Home console.I don't really play any consoles anymore except for the classics.I'm a hardcore PC gamer now,but Sega returning to the console market would most likely get me to support them if they ever released a new one just on principal and the fact that I wouldn't want to see them suffer.They deserve a second chance I think. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well alot of this is very interesting and yet very fishy.

First of all, if you read the patent it states that SEGA has plans to bring the hardware stateside and the words "Stand Alone video game machines" stick out like a soar thumb. Also, SEGA's previous arcade line this decade wasn't patent for use outside of Japan and considering that the arcade market in the west has been virtually dead for over 15 years with there being almost no demand of any kind for new arcade technology.

Plus, SEGA has always been an arcade giant. They actaully pioneered the word "amusment boards" and most of thier popluar arcade CPU lines do eventually become the CPU basis for a console at some point in the future.

In this link I found there's an official Japanese press statement from SEGA of Japan: http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles...arcade_boards/

Qoute: SEGA states that they are planning on offering the hardware boards to other 3rd party publishers to develop titles for and hopes to expand the new arcade line much like Naomi a decade ago which explains why Dreamcast had some many arcade perfect ports. Since no RingWide games were annouced and SEGA says that Regarding the choice of names for the boards, a statement from Sega explained "that "Ring" is meant to suggest a ring that connects users, operators and makers along with, via the internet, the rest of the world. Edge refers to cutting edge. Wide refers to a wide range, in the sense that Sega hopes the board will, through wide use by third parties, help expand the amusement industry."

Which means that SEGA may be desinging a development kit for other software companies which sheds even more light on a strong possiblity of them turning the RingEdge into a home console.

SEGA also says that this new hardware is both incredibly simple to program and cuts production costs down 30%. Which means SEGA could be designing a development kit that may make it easier for developers to make games for and drop the rising development costs on games which could make the new machine quite competitive allowing the price of games for it to be $40 and $50 instead of $60 and $70.

Which raises even more eyebrows at Sega of Japan about RingEdge and RingWide. Remember Naomi, was the last arcade line SEGA both converted into a "stand alone video game machine", distributed outside of Japan, and had support from other software companies with, so in addition to being the Lindbergh's successor, RingEdge in Japan is being touted as the next Naomi.

But question marks linger about "RingWide". So far no games of any kind have be annouced or confirmed for "RingWide" which is the lower end of this new CPU line. We don't know what the games look like or how they'll be displayed. Which is very supiscious because there have already been two RingEdge arcade games annouced for it "Border Breaker and Shining Force Cross"(an RPG arcade game?Let alone a new Shining Force game only for the arcades? What's next a Sonic arcade game, the first since 1996?

Two new CPU PC like boards instead of one is definelty something we need to look out for later. Does SEGA have a surprise for everyone later? Time will tell.

One more note I'd like to make is an article from April 22 where SEGA of Japan's head of it's CS division Takayuki Kawagoe talks about "intergrating", "unity" and trying to find common ground with it's western divisions.

Sega Planning To Integrate Eastern And Western Divisions: News from 1UP.com

SEGA is singing a new tune talking about wanting to become a united corporation. Things are obviously looking up for them as a publisher now and thankfully the quality of thier games are getting better and hopefully will continue to. If they plan on launching a new system, they need to have the confidence in gamers and consumers that they are not only a great software publisher but that they are capable of once again competiting as a console maker even though they haven't released a console in 10 years. Meaning by September if SEGA has bounced back as a successful well liked 3rd party publisher, then they will probably feel that the time is right for them to annouce thier return to the console market.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
First of all, if you read the patent it states that SEGA has plans to bring the hardware stateside and the words "Stand Alone video game machines" stick out like a soar thumb. Also, SEGA's previous arcade line this decade wasn't patent for use outside of Japan and considering that the arcade market in the west has been virtually dead for over 15 years with there being almost no demand of any kind for new arcade technology.

Plus, SEGA has always been an arcade giant. They actaully pioneered the word "amusment boards" and mostmost of thier popluar arcade CPU lines do eventually become the CPU basis for a console at some point in the future.

In this link I found there's an official Japanese press statement from SEGA of Japan: http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles...arcade_boards/

Qoute: SEGA states that they are planning on offering the hardware boards to other 3rd party publishers to develop titles for and hopes to expand the new arcade line much like Naomi a decade ago which explains why Dreamcast had some many arcade perfect ports. Since no RingWide games were annouced and SEGA says that Regarding the choice of names for the boards, a statement from Sega explained "that "Ring" is meant to suggest a ring that connects users, operators and makers along with, via the internet, the rest of the world. Edge refers to cutting edge. Wide refers to a wide range, in the sense that Sega hopes the board will, through wide use by third parties, help expand the amusement industry."

Which means that SEGA may be desinging a development kit for other software companies which sheds even more light on a strong possiblity of them turning the RingEdge into a home console.

SEGA also says that this new hardware is both incredibly simple to program and cuts production costs down 30%. Which means SEGA could be designing a development kit that may make it easier for developers to make games for and drop the rising development costs on games which could make the new machine quite competitive allowing the price of games for it to be $40 and $50 instead of $60 and $70.

Which raises even more eyebrows at Sega of Japan about RingEdge and RingWide. Remember Naomi, was the last arcade line SEGA both converted into a "stand alone video game machine", distributed outside of Japan, and had support from other software companies with, so in addition to being the Lindbergh's successor, RingEdge in Japan is being touted as the next Naomi.

But question marks linger about "RingWide". So far no games of any kind have be annouced or confirmed for "RingWide" which is the lower end of this new CPU line. We don't know what the games look like or how they'll be displayed. Which is very supiscious because there have already been two RingEdge arcade games annouced for it "Border Breaker and Shining Force Cross"(an RPG arcade game?Let alone a new Shining Force game only for the arcades? What's next a Sonic arcade game, the first since 1996?

Two new CPU PC like boards instead of one is definelty something we need to look out for later. Does SEGA have a surprise for everyone later? Time will tell.

One more note I'd like to make is an article from April 22 where SEGA of Japan's head of it's CS division Takayuki Kawagoe talks about "intergrating", "unity" and trying to find common ground with it's western divisions.

Sega Planning To Integrate Eastern And Western Divisions: News from 1UP.com

SEGA is singing a new tune talking about wanting to become a united corporation. Things are obviously looking up for them as a publisher now and thankfully the quality of thier games are getting better and hopefully will continue to. If they plan on launching a new system, they need to have the confidence in gamers and consumers that they are not only a great software publisher but that they are capable of once again competiting as a console maker even though they have released a console in 10 years. Meaning by September if SEGA has bounced back as a successful well liked 3rd party publisher, then they will probably feel that the time is right for them to annouce thier return to the console market.
Exelent......

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.