Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow...thanks Gaurav, good list!!! i especially has a first crush on Soleil aka Crusader of Centy!!!!! sooo cute and the hero really looks like Link! even the sword swipe action is the same! ahahaha....hope it got a good momentum till the end...

Sol-Deace alsoo looks nice...i like side scrolling ship shooter!!!

Mega Bomberman!!! ahhhh nostalgia but with nicer sexy graphic!!!

i recommend one that's underdog one...hahaha...Chiki Chiki Boy although sounds sooo childish but it's a super solid platform game!!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Chiki Chiki Boys and Soleil are definitely fun games, and don't worry, if you like Soleil from the start, you'll love it up to the finish. Soleil is pretty lenghty. I just didn't mention them as my favorites because unlike my favorites, I can't be bothered to play either one anymore after playing both twice through. But that's just me. ;)

If you really like Zelda-ish games a lot, you definitely need to try The Story of Thor after you're done with Soleil, and perhaps also Landstalker and Light Crusader. If you're gonna play TSoT, there are quite a few secrets / tips that are well worth knowing, because some of them are never even hinted at, thus are easily missed. It's one of the few games I considered worthy of trying to do speedruns on with all weapons etc found, back in the day. :D

*Starts up KEGA Fusion..*

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
hmm...don't like light crusader although it's from Treasure Co....just doesn't look fun to me...i mean not enough cartoonish...hihihi...

i actually prefer simpler games as no time to play long long unless it's very cute and colorful!!!

hey Gaurav any platformer or racing or sideshooter to recommend for both Genesis, 32X, CD? I heard Soul Star on Sega CD is very good!!!

·
programmer
205 Posts
My favorites:
Sonic series
The adventures of Batman & Robin(Batman 4)
Cool Spot
Donald Duck in Maui Malard
Toe jam & Earl 1
Xenon 2
Splatterhouse 3
Ghouls & Ghosts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
navilink said:
hey Gaurav any platformer or racing or sideshooter to recommend for both Genesis, 32X, CD? I heard Soul Star on Sega CD is very good!!!
It is, but it's not a sidescrolling shoot 'm up, as your view is from behind the ship/mech.

For platformers that I would personally recommend while keeping your preference in mind:
-I once again refer to Rocket Knight Adventures (Gen). You'll love it, no doubt.
-Tempo (32X) looks like a cute platformer, though I never really went far into the game yet. Its animations are superb.
-Popful MAIL - Magical Fantasy Adventure (CD) which is more of an adventure.
-Earthworm Jim - Special Edition (CD), which If I recall correctly, was something of two games in one?
-Sonic CD, which is one of the best games released on the MegaCD, and only entirely correctly emulated by Kega Fusion.
-Once again, both Wonderboy V (Gen) and Wonderboy VI (Gen) are fun platforming adventures, and should fit your need for a cute look.
-If you don't care about the kiddy image of these two, Fantastic Dizzy (Gen) and Cosmic Spacehead (Gen) should be colorful and cute enough for you. :p
-Decap Attack (Gen) is pretty fun to play and look at IMO. :)
-Dynamite Headdy (Gen), one of Treasure's classics, is supposed to be good, but I wouldn't know yet.
-Apparently, the same goes for Ristar (Gen).
-Disney's Aladdin (Gen) and The Lion King (Gen) were also mentioned before. These are definitely good platformers, especially the former.
-You could try the graphically updated Megaman 1, 2 and 3, called Megaman: The Wily Wars (Gen), if you're a fan of Megaman.

For racing, I only know a few titles, but I'd have to recommend:
-Virtua Racing Deluxe (32X).
-Chase H.Q. 2 (Gen) rings a bell to me as well.
-And ofcourse: Super Hang-On (Gen), port of a great arcade classic.
-I'm sure there are more.. but I never looked into it.

For shoot 'm up games, in addition to Soul Star (CD), side-scrolling, vertical, or otherwise:
-Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 (32X).
-Lords of Thunder (CD).
-Elemental Master (Gen).
-Silpheed (CD).
-Sol-Feace (CD) which is a definite upgrade from the earlier-mentioned Sol-Deace (Gen).
-Be sure to try both Thunderforce III (Gen) and Thunderforce IV (Gen). Especially IV is awesome.
-There are loads more for the Genesis, like Grind Stormer, MUSHA (Aleste), Arrowflash, etc.. but there are too many to name for that matter, of which quite a lot are no more than mediocre.

If I recall correctly, The Adventures of Batman & Robin (CD) had some racing and shoot 'm up elements.

EDIT:
With Sonic CD, I said only Kega Fusion (3.4) emulates it most correctly, but that goes for pretty much all 32X games as well. Actually, it goes for pretty much any Genesis, SegaCD, and 32X game if you take in account the accuracy compared to say, Gens.

·
programmer
205 Posts
I prefer the PC version of Sonic CD ,it just plays way smoother than on gens,with the other games its ok with the emulation;)
Batman & Robin for MegaDrive is a (hardcore ?) shoot 'em up.The CD version as far as i saw was a racing,dunno if there are shoot'em up levels,it would be nice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sonic CD plays wonderfully on K-Fusion, love that emulator - I wish there was a 'everything Nintendo up to the 16 bit era + GBA' emulator. Maybe include N64 too, since nintendo didn't have all the sub systems that Sega had (CD and 32X + Genesis, Game Gear and SMS...its crazy!). The only thing I could wish Fusion to do is play Saturn games too. But first we need better Saturn emulation I guess...I really REALLY want to unplug my saturn damnit! Don't play it much...but just like my emulated hardware I play it once in a while. Enough to warrant keeping it plugged in until it's emulated 95% at least.

But back to Sonic CD, it's not that hot. Good music, and thats all it's got going for itself really. Worst Sonic game of its era. The best game on the Sega CD is Snatcher.

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
does Comix Zone and Vectorman comes in English version? The Comix Zone looks really unique...something like Max Payne comic but playable!!!

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Gaurav said:
-There are loads more for the Genesis, like Grind Stormer, MUSHA (Aleste), Arrowflash, etc..
About time someone mentioned Grind Stormer :p. It's a really good but difficult game I think. Aladdin is also a good game too. Back when I played it a lot, I was impressed by the responsive controls, nice colors, and fluid animation. I guess it's time to break out the cartridge again, it's been a few years since I last played it :).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
WinterHell said:
Batman & Robin for MegaDrive is a (hardcore ?) shoot 'em up.The CD version as far as i saw was a racing,dunno if there are shoot'em up levels,it would be nice.
Ah yes, you're right. Gen version was shoot 'm up, MCD version was racing, but with weapons on the bat mobile etc.

Lobo said:
The best game on the Sega CD is Snatcher.
I have to agree.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
navilink said:
does Comix Zone and Vectorman comes in English version? The Comix Zone looks really unique...something like Max Payne comic but playable!!!
too bad its not... the look is really unique and amazing, but the gameplay is absolutely hidious imo. i couldnt stand it very long, which is a shame.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Yeah, it's like a beat 'm up gone bad IMO. Comix Zone is apparently also one of the buggiest games the Genesis/Megadrive has ever seen. But it's definitely worth a try if you like the look.

·
Ohana means family...
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Carmofin said:
too bad its not... the look is really unique and amazing, but the gameplay is absolutely hidious imo. i couldnt stand it very long, which is a shame.
what? Katsuya said got US release u said no US....so which is correct leh?

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
Wow, I was digging back in my old boxes and guess what I found?

FINAL BATTLE!

if you remember that game you're my hero.That guy made the bad guys fly off the screen with single punches and funny looking kicks.

That's what I call a good game.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
navilink said:
what? Katsuya said got US release u said no US....so which is correct leh?
Carmofin replied to the latter part of your post (comparison to max-payne comics). Katsuya correctly replied to the former part (US release).

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
There are several JAP Mega CD games which never made it to North America. 2 personal favorites are Captain Tsubasa ( which was an RPG-soccer hybrid game, featuring anime cutscenes ) and Record of Lodoss Wars ( an excellent RPG, faithful to the original OVA and featured anime cutscenes too). I was trying to translate the latter one a few months ago before I got bored :p I might as resume tl'ing it later, no promises though :p

edit : for some reason, it feels like this isn't the very same time I've said that here :laugh:

Yours,
-E

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
This is the first time you mentioned Captain Tsubasa for Genesis AFAIK. I gotta play that game :D

Is there any translation available? Or is it playable when you don't know japanese? I have always been a fan of the first Captain Tsubasa game on NES called Tecmo Cup.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
This is the first time you mentioned Captain Tsubasa for Genesis AFAIK. I gotta play that game :D

Is there any translation available? Or is it playable when you don't know japanese? I have always been a fan of the first Captain Tsubasa game on NES called Tecmo Cup.
There is no translation for The Mega CD game AFAIK ( the japanese dialogue is simple though , unlike lodoss wars). The controls are pretty straightforward too, so if you played and enjoyed CT on the NES, you must play the Mega CD version. IMO, it's the best CT game released until this date. It is also the last CT game Temco produces before Bandai took over and degraded the series...

Yours,
-E

21 - 40 of 46 Posts