Next Generation Emulation banner

Sega Genesis Games

8K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  saratyler007 
#1 ·
hi, just venturing into the genesis world...wonder what games are nice on the system? i know only Gunstar Heroes, Sonic series and Contra 3: Hard Corps.

#2 · (Edited)
Chakan the forever man was a good game (but very hard for most). as was Langrisser (Warsong). also try Comix Zone and Dynamite Headdy. don't forget Shining and the Darkness, Shining Force (1 and 2) Phantasy Star 4 (2 and 3 were also good)

Shadow Dancer, Shadow of the Beast, Valis. I would also go for Samurai Spirits, Shinobi, Vermilion, Bare Knuckle, (Streets of Rage (1,2, and 3)) Strider, and Ristar.

You may also like LandStalker, Generations Lost, Thunder Force (2,3 and 4) ToeJam & Earl, (1 and 2) OutRun 2019, (the first game is also good)

Find the rest on my list if you can.

Out of This World,
Zoop, .
Zero Wing,
Altered Beast,
Arrow Flash,
Art of Fighting,
Vampire Killer,
Earnest Evans (most don't like this but I think it was ok for its time)
El Viento,
Ecco the Dolphin,
Golden Axe,
Kid Chameleon,

Pitfall,
Pulseman,
Ranger X,
Sparkster,
Vectorman, (1 and 2)
Whip Rush,
Wonder Boy III,
Wizard of Immortal,
Beyond Oasis,
Ys III,
Fatal Labyrinth,
Aerobiz Supersonic,
Bahamut Senki,
Daikoukai Jidai,
San Goku Shi III,
Royal Blood,

I will put up more when I think of them. or when I look inside my old game cabinet.

#3 ·
These are games i remember playing on the Megadrive (Thats what Genesis was called in Europe ;) )
All the Sonic Games
Castlevania Generations
Super Shinobi
Toy Story
Vectorman
Shadow Dancer
X-Men
X-Men 2 Clone Wars
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier
Comix Zone
Golden Axe
Streets Of Rage
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Bruce Lee's Dragon
Moonwalker
Collums 3
Phantasy Star 4
NBA '95
Outrun
Fifa 97
Micro Machines 2
RoadBlasters
Zero Tolerence
Thunderforce 4
Rolling Thunder (1 and 2)
Mortal kombat 2
Ultimate MK 3
Super Street Fighter 2

#5 ·
You should definitely get

sonic
streets of rage 1 and 2
gunstar heroes
mortal kombat 2/ultimate mk3
street fighter 2
mickey mouse castle of illusion.world of illusion
quackshot
phantasy star 4

i personally loved jungle strike as well as aladdin which luks beautiful on the genesis.

#7 ·
Man who can forget those two games: "General Chaos And Greatest Heavyweight Boxing" Those games are so awesome!

IN THIS CORNNEEEER, PLAAAYERRR Oooooooooooonneeeeeeeeee (player 1 is Bald,purple with a blue goatee) *cheers can be turned off with start XD*

#13 ·
well...
after you mentioning Shining Force in the same sentence as chakan, i can see why someone would want to try to bring it to more attention and personally, i dont see why i wouldnt be allowed to mention my favorite just because its somewhere in your endless list... and just for the heck of it, the next game i would recommend from todays standpoint would be "Toe Jam & Earl 2"
there, eat that :???:

#14 ·
Carmofin said:
well...
after you mentioning Shining Force in the same sentence as chakan, i can see why someone would want to try to bring it to more attention
was it because you did not like the game chakan? If so I can respect that ( it is definitely not for everyone. I did not like it at all when I first tried it.)

and personally, i dont see why i wouldnt be allowed to mention my favorite just because its somewhere in your endless list...
sorry I wasn't being serious. I guess I forgot to place a smiley to make sure no one got the wrong idea.

and just for the heck of it, the next game i would recommend from todays standpoint would be "Toe Jam & Earl 2"
there, eat that :???:
yeah, yeah, back at you! somebody should play Landstalker! ;)

#15 ·
Does any one know of any really good two player games for the Genesis that people dont really know about, excluding all of the ovbious popular ones that everyone knows about (SOR 1,2,3 Sonic 1,2,3 etc. X-men and fighting games like MK and SFII)

#17 ·
all the above

+

sunset riders <-----awesome
the terminator
golden axe
last battle
mickey mouse siries (mickey mania, castle of illusion etc.) <---- awesome
street racers
turrican
valis III
the mask
after burner
alisia dragon <-----awesome
doraemon
flashback <-----awesome
jurassic park (the platform game not the rampage edition) <-----awesome
strider
saturday night slam masters
shadow of the beast

#18 ·
Shinobi III Return of the Ninja Master - get it, or be assasinated by ninja!

Gunstar Heroes - the quasi-sequel was just released on the GBA last month, and its awesome too. But going back to its roots is quite rewarding, there's still some things the original did better. Like various weapons, and multiplayer.

Kid CHameleon - unique idea, you switch classes when you pick up helmets. Kind of platformer, beat em up, slash em up, puzzler. It's hard to explain but very fun.

Phantasy Star III & IV - a lot of PS fans dont dig 3 as much as the rest in the series or out right hate it. I love the game to death, and IV is awesome too. If you want to see what SEGA offered as an alternative to Square's FF series pick these games up.

Streets of Rage 2 & 3 (you can skip 1, its aged horribly) - fear the Kangaroo and black kid on rollerblades! Beat em up at its finest. Best beat em ups of thier era IMO, Battletoads w/ Double Dragon what?

Eternal Champions - obscure fighting game, a bit on the cheesy side today, but damn did me and my fam/friends have a blast with it. It does a lot of things right, mixes in some stage deaths (fatalaities if you will), and some chars have fatalities. I love the setting of the game. Would love if Sega could have made a sequel on the DC :(.

All of the Sonic games and them combined with Sonic & Knuckles - some great speed platforming in these games. Way better than Sonic Adventure.

Shining Force II - if you got time for a Strat-RPG, this games story will keep you engaged through the long haul. And the combat is quite good too. Love this series.

LandStalker - Zelda kinda game. Think Zelda mixed with Indiana Jones and you have a good idea. Get it. Otherwise Shinobi will come with his Ninja friends and kill you.

Aladdin - yeah I said it. This game kicks all kinds of butt. This was back when Disney games were great.

Lion King -- too for that matter, but Aladdin is way more awesome.

Shadow Run - infinitley superior to the SNES's version. This game might remind you of GTA though :p.

Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 - funny, and challenging. Excellent run n gun.

Ecco the Dolphin - whacked out game (in a good way) puzzles. This game will have you feelin' like flipper in an hour.

Rocket Knight Adventures - ever wanted to be an opossum knight? Here ya go. Dood's got a jet pack straped to hte back of his armor too, let our imagination run wild with that.

Skitchen & Road Rash III - they play similar, SKitchen's on roller blades, Road Rash is on bikes...damn fun two player games there.

Vectorman - sick run n gun.

Ristar - excellent platforming fun with go go gadget arms of some kind on a star...with hands and legs...cute, but deadly headbutts. Ever wonder what it'd be like to be hit by a shooting star? Well you can show some baddies how that would feel.

Flashback - SNES skipped out on some frames, get the better version here and enjoy this very cinematic game...on a cart. This game had better story than most games out today, and it did it without any spoken words and limited dialogue. It's like a great silent movie.

ANd the last game I'll suggest, Mutant League Hockey / Football - for some laughs. Blitz The League's got nothing on these games.

Oi, and I can't forget The Haunting - if you ever wondered what it would be like to be a ghost trying to get people out of a house, this is your game. It's kinda like doing the stuff you saw the dead couple in Beetleguise do. Except its just you weirding out the family until they run for the hills.

#19 ·
Regardless of any double/triple/quadruple mentions, I'll name my favorite titles, in order to further advocate their greatness. :D

Ranger-X (aka Ex-Ranza) - Ancient but awesome action platformer. It's a more complicated game than any first impression could ever give.

Contra: Hard Corps (aka Mega Probotector) - Best Contra ever. This game includes much better boss-fights, bringing them to a higher level. It also includes choices you can make across the story, bringing you to different levels and different endings. Two player mode makes it as enjoyable as Gunstar Heroes, IMO.

Gunstar Heroes - Apparently, this is what you get when Konami's Contra team goes independent. Treasure made the gametype better in almost every aspect. Two player for double the fun. Boss fights are well done, sometimes even better than Contra's. This game debuts Treasure's well-known Seven-Force boss.

Alien Soldier - Treasure perfected boss-battling in this game IMHO. It also borrows some music and bosses from Gunstar Heroes, including an even better done Seven-Force. The game doesn't have a following as big as Gunstar Heroes, which surprises me, as it's pretty much superior despite its lack of multiplayer, IMHO.

Streets of Rage 2 - The port of the famous arcade Beat 'm Up. Quite frankly, there is no better than this one.

Streets of Rage 3
- In few ways considered an improvement over SoR2, this one is a worthy successor, but overall it stands in the shadow of it's older brother.

Eternal Champions - For some reason I can't explain, this fighting game is simply good. Though if you can, choose for the Mega CD version.

Another World
(aka Out of this World) - If you haven't played this platformer anywhere else, do it on your Megadrive. :p Although the Mega CD version included with the sequel is considered superior for it's CD music (and better sfx?).

Shinobi 3 - Pretty decent action platformer. IMO the best Shinobi game in existance. Some people falsly refer to this game as Shinobi 2, which was in fact released on a different system.

Wonderboy V in Monsterworld
III - Pretty fun platform adventure from the Wonderboy series.

Monsterworld IV (aka Wonderboy VI) - This game knows no release outside of Japan, but there is a very decent and complete fan translation available. It's the successor to Wonderboy in Monsterworld. I don't know whether I can call it superior or inferior, I just like both very much.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Platforming at its finest. This one is as sweet as it is fun. It has quite a story told only through what you see and play, if you don't have the manual, but just that is in actuality quite sufficient and well done. IMO, the successor Sparkster doesn't even come close to this quality title.

Sonic 2 - This is one of the biggest classics in Megadrive history. It's one of the games that made the Megadrive II big, and for good reason. There's even a very fun two player mode well worth a try.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Don't play Sonic 3, nor Sonic & Knuckles, if you can play the complete game as they originally intended Sonic 3 to be. Play both the Sonic/Tails and the Knuckles storyline. This game is IMO the best serious 2D platformer ever. Even better than Sonic 2 (though some might disagree). And it's huge.

Shining Force - A great Strategy RPG, with a good story (in its time). It opened up the way for its successor, making this one of the most popular franchises on the Mega Drive. This first title has a remake on the GBA, but I don't know if it's any better other than in visuals. I do know the GBA version has some tidbits of info that were revealed in Shining Force Gaiden 3 included, as they add to this story.

Shining Force 2
- I dare say the best Strategy RPG on any system, though opinions may differ, and although I've never played Shining Force 3 on the Saturn. IMHO, it tops games like FF Tactics, Fire Emblem and Golden Sun, no sweat. Story and characters are great in this one too. This is not the direct successor to the first title though. The Shining Force Gaiden series on the GameGear play inbetween these two (first two Gaidens were also released on MegaCD as Shining Force CD, third was unfortunately only released in Japan while having much to do with the first title's main characters).

The Story of Thor (aka Beyond Oasis) - Simply said, this is a gem. This game is an action "RPG" or Adventure, top-down like Zelda, but offers a unique system with its Beat 'm Up-like combat and the Spirits. This would have been a one-of-a-kind, were it not for its supposedly inferior sequel on the Saturn (which I never played).

Phantasy Star 4 - After the outsourced Phantasy Star 3 which disappointed many fans, this RPG was a wonderful comeback in the franchise for the Phantasy Star universe. This game was huge for its time, with a deep and resolving story to the original series.

Shadowrun - This RPG is not like your Final Fantasies or Phantasy Star or whatever other console RPG. This one borrows a bit from the cRPG scene if you ask me, which might scare some people off due to any complexity that might arise. As Lobo already mentioned, this game is vastly superior to the SNES title, but also completely different. So it really boils down to your taste. Me as both a Console RPG and cRPG lover, I couldn't get enough of this grim game.

Sol-Deace - This sidescrolling shoot 'm up is awesome to me, but perhaps that's because I played the superior MegaCD version to death, and loved it.

Thunderforce IV - IMO, no other 16-bit sidescrolling shoot 'm up comes close to this one. It's an oldy, but you won't care if you dig the gametype since it's so good.

Mega Bomberman - Best bomberman game ever. IMO, this title is to the bomberman series what Contra: Hard Corps is to the Contra series. It has excellent multiplayer, by the way.

navilink said:
Contra 3: Hard Corps.
Just a FYI: Contra: Hard Corps is the fourth installment. The third is on the SNES.

fivefeet8 said:
If you like zelda type games, get Revenge of Centy.
I think fivefeet8 meant Crusader of Centy aka Soleil.

TheCloudOfSmoke said:
Does any one know of any really good two player games for the Genesis that people dont really know about, excluding all of the ovbious popular ones that everyone knows about (SOR 1,2,3 Sonic 1,2,3 etc. X-men and fighting games like MK and SFII)
One of my favorite two player games of those that have barely any following is Cadash. The game itself has some similarities with games like Faxanadu on the NES, it being a platforming action "RPG". The animations are horrid and the gameplay is outdated, but it sure as hell gave me a laugh by making fun of it with a second person. :p

Other great or otherwise fun two player games are Gunstar Heroes, Contra: HC, Mega Bomberman, and Gain Ground, IMHO.

Lobo said:
Eternal Champions - obscure fighting game, a bit on the cheesy side today, but damn did me and my fam/friends have a blast with it. It does a lot of things right, mixes in some stage deaths (fatalaities if you will), and some chars have fatalities. I love the setting of the game. Would love if Sega could have made a sequel on the DC :(.
In a way, you could consider Eternal Champions CD (Mega CD / Sega CD) as its superior successor / replacement. ;)

#21 ·
wow...thanks Gaurav, good list!!! i especially has a first crush on Soleil aka Crusader of Centy!!!!! sooo cute and the hero really looks like Link! even the sword swipe action is the same! ahahaha....hope it got a good momentum till the end...

Sol-Deace alsoo looks nice...i like side scrolling ship shooter!!!

Mega Bomberman!!! ahhhh nostalgia but with nicer sexy graphic!!!

i recommend one that's underdog one...hahaha...Chiki Chiki Boy although sounds sooo childish but it's a super solid platform game!!!

#22 · (Edited)
Chiki Chiki Boys and Soleil are definitely fun games, and don't worry, if you like Soleil from the start, you'll love it up to the finish. Soleil is pretty lenghty. I just didn't mention them as my favorites because unlike my favorites, I can't be bothered to play either one anymore after playing both twice through. But that's just me. ;)

If you really like Zelda-ish games a lot, you definitely need to try The Story of Thor after you're done with Soleil, and perhaps also Landstalker and Light Crusader. If you're gonna play TSoT, there are quite a few secrets / tips that are well worth knowing, because some of them are never even hinted at, thus are easily missed. It's one of the few games I considered worthy of trying to do speedruns on with all weapons etc found, back in the day. :D

*Starts up KEGA Fusion..*

#23 ·
hmm...don't like light crusader although it's from Treasure Co....just doesn't look fun to me...i mean not enough cartoonish...hihihi...

i actually prefer simpler games as no time to play long long unless it's very cute and colorful!!!

hey Gaurav any platformer or racing or sideshooter to recommend for both Genesis, 32X, CD? I heard Soul Star on Sega CD is very good!!!

#24 ·
My favorites:
Sonic series
The adventures of Batman & Robin(Batman 4)
Cool Spot
Donald Duck in Maui Malard
Toe jam & Earl 1
Xenon 2
Splatterhouse 3
Ghouls & Ghosts

#25 · (Edited)
navilink said:
hey Gaurav any platformer or racing or sideshooter to recommend for both Genesis, 32X, CD? I heard Soul Star on Sega CD is very good!!!
It is, but it's not a sidescrolling shoot 'm up, as your view is from behind the ship/mech.

For platformers that I would personally recommend while keeping your preference in mind:
-I once again refer to Rocket Knight Adventures (Gen). You'll love it, no doubt.
-Tempo (32X) looks like a cute platformer, though I never really went far into the game yet. Its animations are superb.
-Popful MAIL - Magical Fantasy Adventure (CD) which is more of an adventure.
-Earthworm Jim - Special Edition (CD), which If I recall correctly, was something of two games in one?
-Sonic CD, which is one of the best games released on the MegaCD, and only entirely correctly emulated by Kega Fusion.
-Once again, both Wonderboy V (Gen) and Wonderboy VI (Gen) are fun platforming adventures, and should fit your need for a cute look.
-If you don't care about the kiddy image of these two, Fantastic Dizzy (Gen) and Cosmic Spacehead (Gen) should be colorful and cute enough for you. :p
-Decap Attack (Gen) is pretty fun to play and look at IMO. :)
-Dynamite Headdy (Gen), one of Treasure's classics, is supposed to be good, but I wouldn't know yet.
-Apparently, the same goes for Ristar (Gen).
-Disney's Aladdin (Gen) and The Lion King (Gen) were also mentioned before. These are definitely good platformers, especially the former.
-You could try the graphically updated Megaman 1, 2 and 3, called Megaman: The Wily Wars (Gen), if you're a fan of Megaman.

For racing, I only know a few titles, but I'd have to recommend:
-Virtua Racing Deluxe (32X).
-Chase H.Q. 2 (Gen) rings a bell to me as well.
-And ofcourse: Super Hang-On (Gen), port of a great arcade classic.
-I'm sure there are more.. but I never looked into it.

For shoot 'm up games, in addition to Soul Star (CD), side-scrolling, vertical, or otherwise:
-Zaxxon's Motherbase 2000 (32X).
-Lords of Thunder (CD).
-Elemental Master (Gen).
-Silpheed (CD).
-Sol-Feace (CD) which is a definite upgrade from the earlier-mentioned Sol-Deace (Gen).
-Be sure to try both Thunderforce III (Gen) and Thunderforce IV (Gen). Especially IV is awesome.
-There are loads more for the Genesis, like Grind Stormer, MUSHA (Aleste), Arrowflash, etc.. but there are too many to name for that matter, of which quite a lot are no more than mediocre.

If I recall correctly, The Adventures of Batman & Robin (CD) had some racing and shoot 'm up elements.

EDIT:
With Sonic CD, I said only Kega Fusion (3.4) emulates it most correctly, but that goes for pretty much all 32X games as well. Actually, it goes for pretty much any Genesis, SegaCD, and 32X game if you take in account the accuracy compared to say, Gens.

#26 ·
I prefer the PC version of Sonic CD ,it just plays way smoother than on gens,with the other games its ok with the emulation;)
Batman & Robin for MegaDrive is a (hardcore ?) shoot 'em up.The CD version as far as i saw was a racing,dunno if there are shoot'em up levels,it would be nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.