Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been away for a week cause my Seagate baracudda decided to go ass-up on me over the weekend... And that's putting it politely...

I couldn't even get it to post....or show up...

Well, the Bios loaded fine, and the Sata Controller in the Rampage is fine because no matter what Sata port I plug my DVD Burner into it picks it up, so I came to the conclusion that my Seagate Baracudda 500 GB Sata Hard Drive died....

I don't know why, but they always say the chain is a system is only as strong as it's weakest link... so it this case it would be the Seagate Baracuda..
Or in this case the CHEAPEST link... And it was on sale....

Question is.... should I take it back to CBIt and make them replace it or find the warrantee card and do it myself????

Cause I'd rather not have to give up the system for 3 days to a week while they "perform tests" to make sure I didn't do it intentionally or **** it up...

In the meantime I used the IDE connection from my Rampage Formula and reinstalled Windows Vista on my old 200 GB Western Digital hard drive from the Celeron... The Sentinel application says it's in good health...but awfully small..

I don't want this to be thread that goes on forever so any quick advice on how to handle RMA, if I should do it at all, would be appreciated....

Plus, anyone have a Seagate Baracudda just up and die on them lately?????

Cause like I said the Board's fine.....I just have to run in IDE mode....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Just to cover all bases here....you DID try a different SATA cable, right?

And whether you should warranty it is up to you, I guess.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You want to know if you should take your drive back to the store or RMA it yourself??

Is this really thread-worthy?
About as worthy as any one else with a noob question..

I never had anything just up and die on me here...

All I need is one or two short answers, you can delete it if you want, but I thought maybe I overlooked something...:???::???::???::???::???::???:

Just to cover all bases here....you DID try a different SATA cable, right?

And whether you should warranty it is up to you, I guess.
Tried em all, and zip...

Tried all the Sata ports too..

Thanks for the response...

Is this really thread-worthy?
What did my question not pass the Spyhop's Approved Thread's list?????

Please try and forgive me, I'll do better next time......

Edit:

Look, if the thread's a a problem, just ignore it and eventually it'll move down the list and eventually on to page two where it will join all the millions of other useless threads that users here have posted....

One or two quick answers is all I need (more about the computer/sata connection) than the RMA process - I know how to do that.....Just wondering If I missed something.....

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I'm actually running a Seagate 640gb drive as my storage drive; however it barely saddens me if one of my drives fails. Sure, it's bad but no worse than $80 and a few days on the internet re-downloading and re-entering serial numbers.

All in good time, Gameman, all in good time.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Always opt for taking care of faulty hardware from where you got it, and if that fails or you know it will (like they offer a warranty, but you know it's up), then directly contact the manufacturer of said part. That's usually how it works.

For example, Newegg has a 30 day policy on most things. If something is DOA or faulty in some way from the start, they'll take it back and refund you a new part directly (and then either swallow the cost or return it to the manufacturer themself for the refund). If it's after the 30 days, you have to contact the manufacturer, and warranties come in different shapes and sizes, but are typically between one and three years, sometimes up to five or more.

If it's an OEM or a place that puts a custom PC together for you, it's likely more than 30 days, but the point is, always start with where you got it. Go directly to the manufacturer second, should that fail. If the warranty is out, period, you're obviously swallowing the loss.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You or anybody here ever have a Seagate Baracudda refuse to boot/work/just die on you?????

I've had 8 computer's in my life and this is the first time it's ever happended where a hard drive just spontaneously decided to die/or dissappear on reboot....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure, it's bad but no worse than $80 and a few days on the internet re-downloading and re-entering serial numbers.

No kidding, I hate to agree with you , but you're right..... 2-3 days downloading, configuring and reinstalling everything.... Godd.....

I should have gotten a Raptor or whatever it's called....maybe that 15000RPM one....:dead::dead::dead::dead:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully just one, I got my two answers...well one of em anyway....

I've got 7 month's to use the warrantee, so there's no hurry, as long as the old IDE one keeps working I'm fine....at least according to the guy at the computer store.....Besides a new one is 90.00 off the shelf, and I ain't waiting for some stupid "tests"

Although Sata is said to be 3X faster....not really noticeable in the everyday...maybe in PCSX2, but that's about it...

Now I gotta spend my whole week reinstalling everything......

Oh well here we go.....

Have fun in Edmonton.......:D:D:D:D
Adios folks.....

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Ummm. Hard drives can just spontaneously die on you. And it's quite common. Once you get bad sectors, you might as well kiss it goodbye. My pair of Seagates 500GB have been running strong for the past couple years.

Just go pick up a new one and install it yourself. I laughed in their faces when they wanted to charge me to install a laptop hard drive :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.