Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welll this is new. I bought the Seagate 160GB Model When they first came out (ST3160021A) . Had it for about a Year now, And im still not sure if its windows or the actual hard drive itself.. im leaning more towards the HD. BUT...

I was playing Guild Wars like i usualy do for an hour or so, all of asudden my PC shuts off and randomly restarts. Now, when i try to load windows with that drive it seems to not want too. It goes as far as post untill i get that dialog that "Appologizes" for windows attempting to load but failed. I told it to start normaly , And it just keeps reseting itself.. over, and over, and over.. :rolleyes:

My first thought was windows somehow corrupted itself to oblivion while i was playing Guild Wars, but i couldnt even get to the format screen during windows setup. It throws a BSD At me With some techno code that I dont unerstand..

ntfs.sys-address FS172F81 base at F8123000 Data Stomp 41107EEA
:hdbash: :hdbash: :hdbash:
Ill try and get the rest of that if anyones intrested in it and can tell me what it means.. Dunno how it caved in on itself though,i seriously doubt it over heated.. all my fan are running at full blast now. but then again youll never know. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
you could try to get your hands on a linux distro and format with that, windows formater blows anyways, then after you wipe it try installin windows agian. it really does sound like its windows not your hdd. is the drive makin strange sounds?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
ill give the advice i give anybody with a newish seagate, low level format it, i recon they cheat in the factory and do a quick one (they should do a full!) cos ive had a couple of seagates that have developed errors, 2nd one i had that did it was after 2 months, low level formatted and ive had the drive 2 years since without a single error :)

you can get a self booting cd of the tool you need from seagates site

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
If you don't want to risk a low level format then the easiest way would probably be in DOS or Windows floppy bootdisk (not the one for installing, the one you can make through windows) rather than linux, if you aren't used to using linux, a bootdisk should be easy to come by on the net if you can't access a windows computer.

btw, it could be a windows error, I was getting a similar thing until I reformatted, of course for me windows only booted properly once and then wouldn't every other time I tried. A format fixed it though so you should probably give that a shot, I would recomend a normal format before trying a low-level though, since those can break your disk.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea, you think thats bad? I had 2 160gb drives in RAID0, when one failed. Yea. Over 200gb of data GONE.
All I can say is, if you have the chance to, try installing windows on another hard drive. It worries me somewhat, that you get that error whilst in windows setup. This would point me to the RAM.. Would also explain the lack of bootup. Try checking if all the RAM sticks are in their sockets nicely. Chances are, if it was the RAM, the hard drive has had the data corrupted too, so you may want to run chkdsk on the drive afterward (if it works)
Also, try running memtest86 on the RAM, to see if I am right.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Evil_Neko said:
I would recomend a normal format before trying a low-level though, since those can break your disk.
really? thats all they do when they make the drive :p there isnt really any more risk doing it if you use the software from the manufacturer than a normal format would.

but i know they feed loads of warnings at you

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Speaking of low level format... i have had that done on this drive before. well atleast i thought it was low level format at, i had to use seagate software just to format it correctly. the first time is when i thought it be a bright idea to use partition magic to combine two 80Gb partitions.. ( i had around 50 or 60gigs of videos and other crap i didnt want to chunk onto dvd's, at the time it sounded like a good idea)

*sighs*

ill give seagates bootiso thing another shot and try to get low level format software again from their sight.. all else fails, i blame windows! :thumb:
cause its odd though because my hd is not making any sounds... :rolleyes:

By the way i have been able to get windows to load on something atleast, i scraped my old HD from my Ibm. its slow as hell but its better than nothing, so thats gotta count for something. in the mean time is their any way i could be sure its not the HD and windows? its gotta be one of the two

·
Okama Way!
352 Posts
refraction said:
really? thats all they do when they make the drive :p there isnt really any more risk doing it if you use the software from the manufacturer than a normal format would.

but i know they feed loads of warnings at you
tbh, I forget :p the only time I was told about this was when I was in college, was something along the lines of it had a chance of breaking your HDD completely if there was an error somewhere on the disk... I forget the details and am too lazy to google so...

DC_daNMan said:
This would point me to the RAM.. Would also explain the lack of bootup.
Indeed, in fact the similar problem I mentioned in my earlier post actually gave an error giving a RAM location, it was however a corrupt install of maybe something corrupt that is coded to the HDD like the partition table but not that since I know that gives another error message (I've had my fair share of broken computers :D ), I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it even to this day.

Also, I forget to mention, when I formatted mine it didn't work the first time, I hadn't deleted the partition, just formatted them the first time, second time I deleted and re created them and it worked dandy, of course since yours has been working for a long time it doesn't seem likely that you have the same error as I did.

Of course it could just be the RAM, take them out and put them back in then try again, if you have any spare ram sticks try switching them, if not then try with just one ram stick then try the other, could be that one of them is broken and the other is not.

If all that doesn't work... then it probably is your HDD

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yay found out what was wrong with it, well atleast I think. i think somehow windows managed to corrupt my master boot record while i was playing a game (possibley a virus) either that or it was a ram issue.. after spending almost 8 hours doing a low level format using seagate software, windows finaly let me load itself on my drive.. still cant say for sure what caused my HD to corrupt itself. but atleast i got it working oO

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
DC_daNMan said:
Yea, you think thats bad? I had 2 160gb drives in RAID0, when one failed. Yea. Over 200gb of data GONE.
All I can say is, if you have the chance to, try installing windows on another hard drive. It worries me somewhat, that you get that error whilst in windows setup. This would point me to the RAM.. Would also explain the lack of bootup. Try checking if all the RAM sticks are in their sockets nicely. Chances are, if it was the RAM, the hard drive has had the data corrupted too, so you may want to run chkdsk on the drive afterward (if it works)
Also, try running memtest86 on the RAM, to see if I am right.
Um....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Raid0 the one where it writes the exact same info to two different harddrives to increase loading speed? If one failed....wouldn't you have an exact copy on the other one still?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
yep RAID 0 splits the data between the 2 drives, so if you put a file on a RAID 0 you end up with half of the file on one drive, and half on the other, so it loads twice as quick

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
something i noticed yesterday... my HD seems to be slower then usual, cant say for sure but i do notice things loading alot slower than their supposed to. (hell atleast i havent heard any noises or anything coming from my drive) would this be due to the low level format or would this be one of those things defraging could fix (which im about to try)

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
refraction said:
yep RAID 0 splits the data between the 2 drives, so if you put a file on a RAID 0 you end up with half of the file on one drive, and half on the other, so it loads twice as quick
Twice as quick in theory, but not in the real world :p You will get a nice performance boot with a RAID0 from a setup without RAID0 but you will not get twice the speed.

Raiden1803 said:
something i noticed yesterday... my HD seems to be slower then usual, cant say for sure but i do notice things loading alot slower than their supposed to. (hell atleast i havent heard any noises or anything coming from my drive) would this be due to the low level format or would this be one of those things defraging could fix (which im about to try)
Yea you should defrag first using a decent defragger, the one that comes with windows isn't the best solution out there. I've used PerfectDisk, that's a good one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.