Next Generation Emulation banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like I may just make it, though RAM could be a concern.

However, I can usually get away with less RAM due to my slimmed down OS configuration.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
for testing im using a toshiba portege m200, 1.2ghz tablet with 1gb mem.
i already had some games giving me problems on mem use, like blade2.

so 2gb would be nice to have at least

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, but how much RAM does your PC use at boot? :p

I can get it down to ~100MB, and that's without using something even lighter like Win2k or ReactOS.

But uh... out of curiosity, what is that 1.2GHz CPU? A modern 1.2GHz CPU will run circles around a 1.2GHz P3/Duron regardless of clockrate.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out you're using a 1.2GHz Pentium M, which is essentially an improved Pentium III anyway. :p

·
Registered
376 Posts
...you just said it was a 1.2GHz CPU, and according to Google, Portege m200's with a 1.2GHz CPU used a Pentium M.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
yeah im on vacation not doing much :)
but yeah its 1.2ghz you are right.. but most important its a 1gb system.. and that is not always enough..

so 2gb would be nice to have.

About using reactos for xbox emulation, would not be a good thing to do... this because it is still in early beta stage.
You dont know what errors will happen and if the errors are from reactos or dxbx :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
About using reactos for xbox emulation, would not be a good thing to do... this because it is still in early beta stage.
You dont know what errors will happen and if the errors are from reactos or dxbx :)
But it's sure fun to try! :D

Though, it probably won't have much success currently from the use of Direct3D rather than OpenGL...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, well let's first finish the port to Direct3D9 before contemplating OpenGL.

Right now, the most important improvement to make to Dxbx is improving the symbol detection engine. Once that's done, I'll continue on the Direct3D9 port, and once that works, I'll switch the pixel shader emulation to use HLSL. It will take months to reach those targets, so for now just forget about OpenGL, ReactOS or WoW64 compatibility. (Unless someone with enough time & motivation stands up to speed up our progress.)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Um, when I meant much success currently, I was referring to ReactOS's incomplete Direct3D support, not Dxbx's lack of OpenGL support...

And besides, ReactOS is meant to be compatible with Windows apps. Making special configurations just to make an app work on ReactOS is going about it in the wrong order - it's the OS's that's buggy and at fault, not the program's! (unless it doesn't work on Windows as well)

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's not really true either. The OS has nothing to do with it not supporting D3D correctly since it's based on Wine. So if you can get it to run through Wine, doesn't matter if it's ReactOS, Linux or Mac, then it will work fine in all three of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@GreatEmerald : Just a suggestion: Please don't spread misinformation.

There are lots of reasons that make software run on one environment, and fail on the other. One reason is related to hardware drivers - WinXP, Vista, W7, ReactOS ... all have a different collection of drivers, which has implications for the software running on top of them. Implications like different memory allocation behaviour, differences in timing of threads, durations of timeslices, missing events, etc. All of these can introduce a cascade-effect in software, making it fail in some way (sometimes unnoticed, sometimes very obvious).

And sure, ReactOS uses some of Wine's code, but Wine itself is yet another story altogether - it's an emulation (or should I say 'immitation'?) layer that offers Windows API's on other operating systems than the current Windows OSes, together with a loader for Windows portable executables, so that (most) windows applications can still run.

Surely I haven't painted a complete picture here (I'm no expert on the subject either), but at least I hope you'll understand that it's better to let something rest than say something that is confusing or downright wrong. NOFI.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been following ReactOS for many years now, and I must say no GreatEmerald, you're wrong.

ReactOS does borrow some things from Wine, but it is NOT "Wine as an OS". What you're referring to is the ARWINSS project, a side project of ReactOS that's meant to be a stop-gap while compatibility, usability, and stability are improved.

Even then, I didn't say it didn't support Direct3D at all, just that its Direct3D support is incomplete. Since translating Direct3D into OpenGL isn't the final solution (seeing that Windows certainly doesn't do this), it too is a stop-gap, so technically D3D isn't complete.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
That screenshot is at 800x600, so does that means Dxbx can render 3D at non-xbox-native resolutions?

If so, AWESOME! (this is my main complaint about DS emulators...)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dxbx indeed stretches the viewport to fit the window, but we don't (yet) support resizing during emulation, so you'll have to size the window to your liking *before* starting a game. But at least it's possible ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wait... stretching? Ehh... I was kind of hoping for actual up-resing. Well, at least that's better than nothing!

Oh, and there's fullscreen support (at I'd assume the Xbox's native 640x480), right?

81 - 100 of 134 Posts