Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed that even some small scratches can make a game totally unreadable. anyone know of a program that can extract data anyway? cdrwin couldnt.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Radio Shack has some "scratch remover" crap you can get. As far as I know, it actually just strips down a small layer of the cd, making the scratch "less noticable" by readers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>cdrwin couldnt.
May I ask how you tried going about using CDRWin to extract from the disc? There are quite a few things you can try, though I'm sure you've already thought of a few:

1. In the "Extract Disc Tracks/Sectors" dialog, try setting the Read Retry count up rather high, I usually leave mine set at 10. While you're there, also check to see that your extraction method is set to "Raw."

2. When extracting from the disc try setting the speed of the extraction down (even to 1x, if necessary). Oftentimes a slower read will have more success in reading corrupted data.

3. If you have one (or have access to one, at least) try reading the PSX CD from a CD (Re)Writer. Oftentimes you'll find that they're much more capable of reading discs that other drives simply cannot.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thx a lot Cluthu!!!!!!!
:D

I was able a scratched cd of alundra that seemed to be "unreadable"

Thx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There is this thing I see everywhere called "Gamedoctor" or somthing like that. It's supposed to cut off a thin layer of your CD to remove the scratches (unless they are deep), but I don't think it works. Also to clean CDs try useing your own saliva, it works for me anyways :p and my friend uses toothpaste, but I don't think that would work to good. Oh well...............

·
Registered
513 Posts
When you're trying to get fingerprints and the like off of a CD be sure to clean from the inside track outward in a circular fashion, as this is the way the tracks on any given CD are oriented. I once had a CDR's ink layer actually seperate when I tried cleaning it in the wrong direction.

S

·
0 Posts
Actually I have heard that toothpaste works pretty well. It cleans the surface of the CD quite nicely.
When cleaning a CD, go straight out from the center. Not in a circular pattern or at an angle. If you do it either of those two ways, you could ruin your CD. My friend, who is a programmer, told me this.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
513 Posts
>My friend, who is a programmer, told me this.
Maybe it's just me, but this is staring to remind me of the whole "green magic marker trick" argument from years ago. ;)

Honestly, I've seen instructions that say you should wipe the CD from the middle outward (as sxamiga said) and in a circular pattern (which I use). Perhaps that "seperation" I'd observed was the result of a disc defect, I really dunno.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Removing a small layer of plastic does, indeed, work. It makes the scratch less pronounced and can actually buff out the scratch if it's slight enough. You are correct in stating that this will do nothing for deep scratches, however. Remove enough to buff those out, and you'll remove the data. Heh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve also heard some types of polishes help fill in minor scratches. I think they have to be silicon based and there are certain types of car polishes that work too. Fixed my syndicate war CD quite nicely. Rather buy a CD specific polish as some car polishes may have undesirable chemicals that actually melt the plastic.

Then there's those plastic films that attach themselfs to the back of CD's that are supposed to help but didn't work for me (compact disc shield CD-S)

·
Registered
37 Posts
As for cleaning CDs it is definitely not a good idea to rub in a circular fashion since the tracks are laid out this way your cloth could cause minute scratches along one whole data chunk which would not be fun, instead as others have been stating go from center to outer ring. Also try to use a lint free cloth ( iused to use tissues, but that left dust, now i use one of those eyeglass cleaning shammy cloths). and fort he liquid to clean it, water or windex(what i use) works nicely. hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used Armor All to successfully remove scratches from a number of CDs. This does two things. 1) It removes a small layer of the plastic coating, and 2) Fills in the larger gouges with a clear silicon based material (doesn't interrupt reading)

Also for the general cleaning of CD I would definitely go for a non-grainy, lint free cloth like material such as silk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

I find that turps dose not work well on a gold disk
:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts