Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
If this is find is confirmed by other groups working on other fossils, then it’s really a great discovery (and one more piece of evidence to add to the huge mountain of evidence for the theory of evolution through natural selection).

It also shows how dinosaurs have more in common with birds than with reptiles (as was thought at the turn of the century, and is still believed by many people). Thanks for the article ;)

BTW, now I remember a former classmate who was a Jehovah Witness, and he didn’t believe in dinosaurs. He said that scientists faked all the fossils (BTW, he also didn’t believe in evolution… how predictable).

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
He didnt believe in evolution? How can u not believe that? Aren't we evolving everyday...

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Metalmurphy said:
He didnt believe in evolution? How can u not believe that? Aren't we evolving everyday...
Plenty of scientifically uneducated people don’t believe in evolution. A few people who should know better (e.g. William Dembsky or Michael Behe) also contest it, but they do it because they have an agenda.

Anyway, the theory of evolution has been confirmed to an enormous extent, and only Christian fundamentalists really doubt it.

·
Nu...
472 Posts
I have a friend who is a Witness, but he's not ignortant to things like evolution, dinosaurs, etc. Good thing too - To deny things like that is foolhardy.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm not neccissarily a fundamentalist, and I dont' think we evolved......we are aliens that just so happened to get stranded on this planet and forget the technology that got us here because the planet was in an ice age and most of us died.

if you thought I was being serious you deserve a slap in the head :)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Yeah, apparently the "devil" or something put dinosaur bones into the earth to fool us.:p:lol: Now if anyone believes that, well...:lol: Somebody once told be this and I almost died from laughter.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I've seem some creationist seriously suggest that god himself put all the fossils just to test us...

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I don't believe in evolution...nor do I care if there is a god or not...so where do I stand? haha, I also don't care how many times a T rex has sex.... :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Evolution is obvious, every living thing (just about) has gone through it.. Just wait and see what we are going to look like within some thousands of year's time.. Look it up on google or something, i already have and you will be surprised..

Actually, dont wait.. you cant anyway :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont see how proving that a dinosaur had a penis or that it procreated disproves or proves that evolution exists
I also think that its sad that the only "religious" people that you mention are the ones who have radical rediculous views. I am a christian yet I still believe in dinosaurs and natural selection. This doesnt mean I dont believe in god or that I have conflicting views. In fact there is no where in the bible that says there is no way that dinosaurs could have existed. There is also no way that you can prove or disprove the existence of a god or evolution(not the fact that we are evolving but that we came from sludge, microbes etc)

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
XxCrashxX took my thoughs perfectly, when I did believe god that's how I felt and still do...people will change form here and there. I mean when two short people get togher don't expect their child to be tall because lowes made the new standart of door height, 2 feet taller...

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
I don't believe in evolution...nor do I care if there is a god or not...so where do I stand? haha, I also don't care how many times a T rex has sex.... :lol:
No ofense, but you stand among the scientifically uneducated. Have you ever read a textbook on evolutionary biology, or even a popular science work (like Richard Dawkin's The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design )?

Anyway, Talk.Origins is also a very good online resource.

BTW, if you don't belive in evolution or god, then how do you think we got here?

Aided Onslaught said:
With in recorded history can anyone tell us how we've changed?
As I've said before, you're scientifically uneducated. Evolution does not operate within historical time scales, that's pretty obvious. Even geological time is too quick for it. Evolution operates over millions of years (e.g. **** sapiens sapiens took about 2 million years to evolve out our primate ancestors). There's solid evidence from fossils showing this (see The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution ).

XxCrashxX said:
I dont see how proving that a dinosaur had a penis or that it procreated disproves or proves that evolution exists
You missed the point of the article entirely, although I should have expressed myself more clearly. Showing that dinosaurs had medullary bones is another piece of evidence for evolution, since only birds have medullary bones (thus adding evidence to the hypothesis that birds evolved out of dinosaurs).

XxCrashxX said:
There is also no way that you can prove or disprove the existence of a god or evolution(not the fact that we are evolving but that we came from sludge, microbes etc)
If there was no way to disprove evolution, it wouldn't be a scientific theory. There're plenty of ways to disprove evolution, but it has passed all tests thus far. See 29 Evidences for Macroevolution .

For instance, if we found evidence of human beings coexisting with the dinosaurs, it would certainly disprove current neodarwinian evolutionary theory.

Aided Onslaught said:
XxCrashxX took my thoughs perfectly, when I did believe god that's how I felt and still do...people will change form here and there. I mean when two short people get togher don't expect their child to be tall because lowes made the new standart of door height, 2 feet taller...
Don't try to compare sexual reproduction to natural selection. It's a completely different thing (BTW, you can have two short parents and a tall child. Population genetics for quantitative characteristics is quite complicated.)

Please, read some stuff on evolution before saying that you don't believe it. It makes you sound incredibly uninformed to everyone.

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
No you missed my point though, I don't care. Why should I wonder how we got here, when I just want to know to to get there *points*. and I'm not going to read a book to define my believe in something, I don't care if it's about evolution or god, I have no reason to care about it.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Aided Onslaught said:
No you missed my point though, I don't care. Why should I wonder how we got here, when I just want to know to to get there *points*. and I'm not going to read a book to define my believe in something, I don't care if it's about evolution or god, I have no reason to care about it.
Then you’re willingly putting yourself among the scientifically uneducated. In this case I’ve nothing more to say.

For those who want to understand the universe we live in, the books that I mentioned are a good starting place as far as evolutionary biology goes.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts