Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i got another project to do, its from my religion class though i guess everyone mightve gathered all that already from the title

ive decided that my topic will be: how religion has been b.astardized to justify and lead to humanity's most disastrous events

so... things like, the crusades, like 9/11, etc

the problem i have is that i need to broaden my range of topics so that i can fill in about 10 pages, so im hoping guys like boltzie will have some websites/articles specifically about this type of thing :p books will be useful too, though i won't actually get them (ill just use em as references ;))

so... if anyone can think of any historical events where any religion has been b.astardized please post em up here :p

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well... it isnt exactly a disastrous event but religion was one of the main control systems during the conquest of america by the spaniards and portuguese... as you may know many of the polytheistics gods of the indians were exhanged for catholic saints, even the virgin mary was put above the altars of the Coahtlicue (The mother god).

Also, during the conquest war against the aztecs, the spaniards took advantage of the fact that the aztecs thougth the soldiers where the heralds of Quetzalcoatl. This is because a legendary priest of Quetzalcoatl (who was said to be Quetzalcoatl himself) that had lived some centuries ago, was said to be quite white skinned, and left the continent saying he would return someday in huge masses moved by the wind.

Most of the times the most dangerous effect of religion isnt the big disasters... but the silent opression system it tend to represent.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, now that you reminded me of the spanish, i just remembered the spanish inquisition, gonna have to research that a bit more as well

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Well, let me see if I can give you a few URLs:

Mark Twain's Letters from Earth is hilarious, and can help you how religion is easily misused to justify all kinds of mass killings (among other amoral behaviors :) . A few more Mark Twain's writtings related to religion can be found here .

A few words about The Inquisition and Slavery . Since it's a small article, you can read it quickly. There's also a good one about Witch Hunts .

And never forget to read Bertrand Russell's Has Religion Useful Contributions to Civilization? (/me prepares to be flamed by the religious people of the forum). It contains many such instances of religion being misused.

About 9/11 specifically, you have Richard Dawkins' Religion's Misguided Missiles .

Philosopher Robert Todd Carroll writes about how religion is trying to mess with science curriculum, with ridiculous attacks against evolution: Onward Christian Soldiers: The Holy War on Science .

A nice essay about Race and Religion , by Frank R.Zindler.

An interview with Douglas Adams - you can't miss it ;)

Ever heard of Operation Rescue ? Well, they're a christian pro-life group, and as you can see searching the news , they've made many bad things in the name of their religion and their "pro-life" stance.

Check it here for more information about the crusades.

For lots of info about religious inspired hatred, check out this page . The whole Religious Tolerance website is very helpful in many issues...

Much more info about religion, hatred and slavery can be found here .

I didn't want to bring this up, but here's also some info about Islam and Terrorism . And there's Part II . I found the article to be biased, but it does provide context for further discussion.

General info on the inquisition can be found here . Some its attrocities are described here . More is to be found here .

Women have also suffered a lot because of religion: Why Women Need Freedom From Religion?

Well, this is what I have in my bookmarks (or linking from pages that I have in my bookmarks). If you need anything more specific, just ask for it.

BTW, I've tried my best not to post articles/essays that criticize religion as a whole. I've lots of them, but I know that they're not what you need, so I kept them out.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
:lol: I hadn't read the Letter from Earth before... they are plain hilarious :D ... I'm up to letter 3 and I'm having quite a good time ^^ Thanks for the link Boltz

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I read Letters from Earth when I was 17 and loved it. And I still find it to be hilarious every time I read it or part of it...

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
somehow i knew boltz was the guy who would be an expert in this topic ;) thanks for all the links, its gonna make my next 2 weeks of research a lot easier :p

edit: also remembered world war 2 with the kamikaze pilots, that should be easy to get a book for atleast :p

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
You could use the fact that a wrong and possibly racist image of what Jesus looked like has been plastered into the minds of children and adults everywhere. Jesus was definetly not white. Jesus was either middle eastern or one of the lost blacks of israel.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
Boltz : He asked for info on how religon was abused, not how it was evil or wrong ( points at several links of the above post).

edit : /me checks a few of Boltzmann links,..one of which is hosted on,........Postiveathesim.com! :lol:

I briefly went through some of the links, but they contain alot of miquotation ( Women Need freedom from religon, they are regarded as sex slaves oO, or that quote from the Quran ( stupid translators, the original context is the word "fear", not "terror" :rolleyes: ) , or that war on science article ( Church != religon ) ).

There is plenty you can write on how religon had an indirect/direct role in :
1. Sept 11
2. Holy wars ( ie : crusades ).
3. Isreali-Palastenian conflict, mass killing in their holy places over old grudges and revenge.
4. Russian-Chechnian conflict and war for independency
5. Ottoman's empire rule in the middle east
6. Egyptian mythdology and the building of the pyramids to honour certain individuals on the price of the people themselves.
7. The Roman cathlolic empire rule over it's terrotories.
8. The Taliban extremist movement in Afghanistan
9. Taking advantage of the poor situations in Africa and converting them to christians
and so much more...

But arguably, ALL of them fall into religon misinterpetations and ultimatly, it's the peoples fault themselves, for either being blind believers or purposly interepting the scriptures to their liking for their own selfish goals.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
But arguably, ALL of them fall into religon misinterpetations and ultimatly, it's the peoples fault themselves, for either being blind believers or purposly interepting the scriptures to their liking for their own selfish goals.
thanks for the ideas, and yes thats basically the point, to show that religion has been misused in lots of different situations ;)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
エッリー said:
Boltz : He asked for info on how religon was abused, not how it was evil or wrong ( points at several links of the above post).
That's why I left out most of my links with general criticisms of religion. A few links with too much criticism could have slipped by, but they were mostly concerned with specific matters.

I could be much more damaging if I wanted to, but that's not what Strider asked for :p

エッリー said:
edit : /me checks a few of Boltzmann links,..one of which is hosted on,........Postiveathesim.com! :lol:
And what's the problem with that? Every time you give a link to me it comes from a christian or muslim website :p

エッリー said:
That's the point, AFAIK. Strider asked for "how religion has been b.astardized to justify and lead to humanity's most disastrous events". And this is what I've tried to give him ;)

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
once again thanks for everybody's help, i just finished the damn thing :p if anyone actually cares about reading it (or handing it in as their own project :p) here it is

it might not be perfect, but hey, keep in mind im not some english university professor :p

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Sorry, but I couldn't resist... though Boltz already covered most of the stuff.

Papal lands during the colonization era... The splitting of the world between the Portugese and Spanish (using a Papal bull at that!). Galileo was a huge disaster/embarrasment.

The way the Spaniards dealt with the subjugation of the Philippine natives, and the way they pitted the Christians and Muslims would also be something to note on the side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't forget to mention other societies throught history the worship other beings and idols other than Christian and Muslim. For instance how Romans hated the Pheotions for their idols. Creek Mythology. How missionaries went throught the world to convert tribe groups and others like the American Indian the Aztecs and Mayans to cristianity. My point is, there was alot of religion before Jesus came along. Can't forget Stone Henge. This is why religious wars are fought, to make people believe in what you believe in religiously.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
That's true. But I know squat about them. :) Thanks for the refresher.

...this from the resident(?) thelogian :D

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
Is it me or did this only feel like quotes jumbled on top of each other with a bit of commentetory here and there? :p Regardless, it was interesting to read.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was an awesome read strider, very well done.
thanks, believe it or not this is probably one of the best ones in the class :p

Is it me or did this only feel like quotes jumbled on top of each other with a bit of commentetory here and there? Regardless, it was interesting to read.
quotes? most of my references i got by reading summaries on amazon.com since they asked for actual books :p at any rate, what is an essay supposed to be other than someone else's information in your own words with your own opinions

Don't forget to mention other societies throught history the worship other beings and idols other than Christian and Muslim. For instance how Romans hated the Pheotions for their idols. Creek Mythology. How missionaries went throught the world to convert tribe groups and others like the American Indian the Aztecs and Mayans to cristianity. My point is, there was alot of religion before Jesus came along. Can't forget Stone Henge. This is why religious wars are fought, to make people believe in what you believe in religiously.
well first there isnt anything wrong with anyone believing in religions other than christianity and islam, the romans had their own gods as did the hindus, the greeks, and many others, today we can look back and say roman religion is stupid but back then roman religion was like christianity today, it was common practice and common knowledge, they didnt really do anything wrong they just believed in something different

i actually forgot to write about the missionaries who came to america but whatever :p
most missionaries arent really evil, they just try to make others believe what they do, since they dont really force anyone then it isnt so wrong in itself, maybe just a little annoying :p... but, if they for example go to africa, and deny food to starving people who dont convert then that could be considered wrong

My point is, there was alot of religion before Jesus came along.
well ofcourse, even tribals believed that the stars and the sun were great gods

This is why religious wars are fought, to make people believe in what you believe in religiously.
meh, the crusades werent about converting, they were about conquest :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts