Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late, I've been extremely interested in these little machines. I need the help of some of you informed individuals who know what the market is like these days for pre-built machines. I haven't bought a computer pre-built since 2002 so I have no idea what's out there.

The reason I really wanted a netbook or a mini-laptop is because::

1. It's cheap
2. Mobility
3. My Desktop is my powerhouse, so I'm not worried if it's graphical ability is limited because of size or cost.

I've read about how light and speedy these things can be when set up correctly. It would be nice to be able to watch videos or listen to music on the go, as well as check up on my bank accounts and clients for my business while I'm not at home. My wife has an old Compaq laptop from around 2000 which I'm surprized is still running. Alas it is missing two keyboard keys and is on it's last limb.

So, what does ngemu suggest?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
If you are talking about the netbooks's. They have awesome portability, and are pretty light, have good battery life, and cheap too.

One drawback to consider, is they are have smaller keyboards that can be difficult to type accurately and fast with.

Another drawback is the screen resolution and size with SOME of the netbooks. Most webpages are designed for a larger resolution width than the 800x600 screens can accomidate, and its annoying as heck to have to scroll horizontally. And when certain apps are designed for resolutions with widths greater then the resolution of the screen it can get annoying.

Also the cheaper netbooks are not that powerful with intel celeron mobile or intel atom cpus. The 700mhz celeron and in-order-processing Atoms are pretty weak. Just keep in mind my old 1200mhz athlon+4200ti isn't powerful enough to play some of the higher resolution videos on various websites like gametrailers. Especially with the flash ads. I'm thinking that those netbook cpu's would struggle with even regular quality video's on gametrailers with the flash ads.

There is probably no spare processing might to be able to handle current desktop virus scanners.

No dvd drive, so you'll have to buy a usb dvd player to install programs.

When you check out the netbooks at the electronics store they always remove the battery from the display models probably so people don't steal it, but it gives you an incorrect feel of the weight of the netbook.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Check out a lenovo x200. Its pretty small, i have one myself, but the tablet version. It might be a bit more expensive than what youre looking for though but the quality is great.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, The Acer Aspire-One has been eyeing me lately and I think it would be a good candidate for a good laptop. I figure I'd run a light Linux-distro like Knoppix, Puppy or Fedora on it to save me from too many unneeded processes like anti-virus.

Honestly, I don't know how they think a laptop of those specifications to show any video whatsoever succesfully running Vista or some bulky build. XP SP3 is even bulkier and heavier than previous service-pack editions of the OS.

If I did have the choice though of picking between the Celeron edition or the Atom edition, what do you think would do me the most good? The Atom?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.