Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is there any PSX emulator that support the use of scanlines as MAME or Kega do? I normally use pSX but I get a lot of blurriness in 2D games.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
all of petes hardware plugins support scanlines

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, ePSXe it's the way to go!
Btw, scanlines look good but know I can't find the option to swich on bilinear filtering (I usually use bilinear filtering+scanlines with emulators).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, now it's perfect! that screenshots of your plugin configurations worked for me. :)

Some games like Oshaberi Parodius or Castlevania SOTN doesn't stretch and have some big black bars (especially Castlevania) though. Do you know why could it be?

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Dunno... try different stretching modes.

Oh, and if you're using Pete's OGL2 plugin and find the 'screen filtering' option too blurry, you might want to try the shader effect '1:fullscreen smoothing' '1:minimum' instead (not together with 'screen filtering I mean). That is: if your gfx card has pixel shader support of course.
It will be even closer to the real thing but still too pixelated... something in between might be better but there aren't enough options to do that.

It's possible to get something nice with the available features in Pete's OGL2, but I guess something much better could be achieved by writing a dedicated 'scanlines shader'.
I've tried a bit but lacked the skills to create anything good. :D

·
work haunts me, but I'm running faster!
246 Posts
Dunno... try different stretching modes.

Oh, and if you're using Pete's OGL2 plugin and find the 'screen filtering' option too blurry, you might want to try the shader effect '1:fullscreen smoothing' '1:minimum' instead (not together with 'screen filtering I mean). That is: if your gfx card has pixel shader support of course.
It will be even closer to the real thing but still too pixelated... something in between might be better but there aren't enough options to do that.

It's possible to get something nice with the available features in Pete's OGL2, but I guess something much better could be achieved by writing a dedicated 'scanlines shader'.
I've tried a bit but lacked the skills to create anything good. :D
Et voilà, ready for you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dunno... try different stretching modes
Mmm, I try other configurations but Castlevania SOTN always have these black bars, despite the menus and videos being fullscreen (!!)

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Et voilà, ready for you!
Wow, that's why this place rocks. :D Thanks SimoneT !
Unfortunately I don't have time to try it now but I'll let you know how I feel about it asap. :thumb:
(I remember now I wanted to ask a few questions about your 'HDTV' shader some time ago... I'll be back)

@Super Nest: hm, wierd. Actually I've only seen the Saturn version so I don't really know how this one is supposed to look like. I can borrow it actually, give it a try, then let you know...

To be continued. :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Super Nest: hm, wierd. Actually I've only seen the Saturn version so I don't really know how this one is supposed to look like. I can borrow it actually, give it a try, then let you know...
To be continued. :p
That's a shame, it looks very crappy with that weird aspect ratio. Oh well...:(

Neverthless, do you know how to use that filters by SimoneT? My ePSXe doesn't recognize them.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
- Create a new folder in your ePSXe directory, name it 'shaders'.
- Unzip the 'TV-like picture emulation.zip' in that 'shaders' folder.
- Open Pete's OGL2 plugin configuration and check 'shader effects'.
- In the dropbox select the type of shader you'll be using; in our case it will be '5:GLSlang files (gpuPeteOGL2. slv/slf)'.
- The 'shader level' dropbox sets the shader effect's intensity (you can set that later).
- To finish; click the little browse button right next to the first dropbox, find the way to the 'shaders' folder and select the 'TV-like picture emulation' folder inside it.

- Close the plugin's configuration with 'ok' then launch your game.

It's up to you to tune the plugin's config to get along well with the shader after that... I have to wait until friday to grab my other computer and try it, so I can't tell anything yet...:???:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, it's works now! Not really a fan of how it's looking but I'll keep trying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.