Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Pete's plugins vers. 148 will do scanlines, if you want them. Why would you want the source code? If you still do want the source code, then I would reccommend that you post a message to Pete's attention. He could best help you with that.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
There are many ways to create scanlines.

With D3D/OGL you can use stencil buffers, or display lists (that's what I am doing, because stencil
buffers are more driver depended... I first used stencil buffers as well, it worked good on ATI cards,
it was even a little bit faster that way, but it didn't work in 16bit color mode on my GeForce... and,
of course, z-buffers are needed for the stencil ones on most (all) cards, eating away valuable texture vram).

If you are doing a software engine, scanlines can be easily done by not drawing every second line... that's
what my linux softx plugin is doing, but not my windows soft plugin... why? Well, in linux I have to do the
stretching myself, so I can do the 'not drawing every second line' method, giving me even a little bit more
speed.

In the Windows soft plugin I render everything in the native psx resolution and tell DX to stretch the output
to the desired windows size... so you can imagine you would get VERY big scanlines, if I would not draw
every second line in the native psx resolution :) So here I use a very interesting trick to get small scanlines...
clipping... works even on older cards... :)

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the great reply Pete. I knew we could count on you for an through explanation. You make it sound so simple, but I doubt that it really is. You must know a lot about graphics and how they work. Much more than me, thats for sure. Thanks again.:D
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
Ah, sxamiga, you and the other mods are doing a really great job, too...

You try to help other users in your free time (eh, if I remember right,
I've read you have children and grandchildren... dunno how you do
find the time at all :) ) and I respect your efforts very much...

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Pete. Yes, I do have children, grandchildren, and a job as well. It isn't easy to find the time, but this is something I really enjoy so I make the time. Fortuneately my wife is very understanding also.:D I couldn't do it w/out her help. Take care.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

S

·
0 Posts
Palik_x,thanks for the compliment. I try to be nice, but if I have to get tough I do. I am not always happy:(, though it does seem that way, bu I am most happy and content when I am on the boards and helping others. In case you would wonder why sometimes I am not happy, I would rather not say as I do not wish to burden others w/my troubles. But, when I am unhappy, it has nothing to do with the boards or any of the members here. You are all great!
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 9 of 9 Posts