Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
!
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS2 has turned nine years old, folks and was unleashed on the world October 26, 2000. To celebrate, Sony has sent along some figures and information on the system that you may not have known: * One in every three US households own a PS2 system * 140 million people around the world own a PS2 * The SOCOM franchise has become one of the most played of all time, with over 530 million online hours logged since the debut of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs in 2002 equaling 60,000 years of online play * More than 500 million software units have been sold for PS2 in the US * More than 485 developers have developed for the platform since its launch * By the end of this fiscal year, nearly 10,000 titles in total will be available for the system “With nine years under its belt, the PlayStation 2 system shows no signs of slowing down and at $99 it still offers hours of fun for the whole family”, said Sony. “The PlayStation 2 system is well on its way to delivering ten years of value to consumers and will continue to serve as a testament to the leading innovation and unbeatable entertainment the PlayStation brand provides its consumers.” Happy Birthday, then.
Source

Happy birthday to the best console of all time! :D

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Its hard to dispute how hard Sony nailed the concept of the PS2. Whats also hard to dispute is how far they missed in mapping out the PS3 in some ways.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
The PS2 is probably the greatest console of all time, BUT

One in every three US households own a PS2
^ probably an inaccurate figure since it includes several hundred thousand units which, although were shipped to the US, but later were sent out to other countries where Sony does/did not have any dealers or warranty.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
MURDERER!! :mad:

sorry, couldn't resist :p

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
I was going to say Atari 2600, but the original NES/Famicom pulled the video game industry out of its rut and paved the way for gaming innovation. Without it, the PS2 would never have come into existence.

Hell, without Nintendo, Sony might not have ever ventured into video game hardware to begin with.

·
!
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MURDERER!! :mad:

sorry, couldn't resist :p
:evil:
Happy birthday Sony. How's your day going so far?
It is good, thank you.

Happy Birthday original NES!

I was going to say Atari 2600, but the original NES/Famicom pulled the video game industry out of its rut and paved the way for gaming innovation. Without it, the PS2 would never have come into existence.

Hell, without Nintendo, Sony might not have ever ventured into video game hardware to begin with.
By this logic, everyone has to buy FORD cars and dislike Toyota cars :rolleyes:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
No. The disagreement is in the statement "best console of all time."

I like the PS2 just fine and think that it's the best console of its generation and the best console within the last decade. "Best console of all time" is just too much of a stretch for me to make.

While the PS2 has more prolific ownership, that only points to great marketing. The iPod is the "best portable MP3 player of all time" because it sells so well would be the equivalent to the PS2's claim that it is the "best console of all time" simply because of the system ownership.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts

Well i agree with one thing gaming owns much to nintendo, and NES/Famicom was indeed the one that brought gaming to the next step, but that doesn't change the fact that atari was the pioneer of console gaming and was the one that showed the potential of this industry.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,478 Posts
hapy birthday kirby!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Well i agree with one thing gaming owns much to nintendo, and NES/Famicom was indeed the one that brought gaming to the next step, but that doesn't change the fact that atari was the pioneer of console gaming and was the one that showed the potential of this industry.
I agree with that too. It's just that for me and many, many others, the NES was a big turning point in the industry. I began to look at video games differently on the NES.

What's funny is that the video game industry nearly died before the NES was released due to stagnation. Lots of poor quality games were released to cash in on the video game craze.

Fast forward almost 25 years later and Nintendo is allowing stagnation of its current console, the Wii. Ironic, no?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.