Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scrambled Ninja
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just now I tapped F1 to Save State and it froze up my entire system, not even my cursor would move, and I had to hard reboot it.
This has only happened 2 times so far. Once when playing MegaMan Legends and now once while playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy. There dosent seem to be any kind of reason it dose this that I can tell, just randomly happens. I use Save State pretty frequently so this isnt a very common occurance.
*shrugs*

MegaMan was running from an ISO and MK was running off of an ISO mounted with Daemon Toolz.

Has anyone else had this happen or maybe know whats causing it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You shouldn't be getting any slowdown with that rig. Mine is about equivalent (P4 3GHz HT, 2G mem, ATI X850 XT), and if I uncap the framerate I find every game runs at 200-300 FPS. And I already "pinned" my ePSXe.exe to CPU 0.

Try turning on your FPS display in the games you see slowdowns in. If you see that the framerate continues to hover around 60FPS, then your problem isn't your CPU being overloaded. See what happens if you uncap the framerate at the points in the game where the slowdowns happen. In Pete's OGL and OGL2 you can do this by holding down the "9" key.

For the games you're seeing the slowdowns in, it could be emulator engine timing issues rather than your machine performance being inadequate. Three games I saw slowdowns in (Final Fantasy VII, WipEout 1) were cured of it when I switched emulators from ePSXe 1.6.0 to sssPSX 0.0.26.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Out of all the games I added a "Run only in sssPSX" note to, those two were the only ones that I had persistent non-framerate-related slowdowns in.

I knew they weren't GPU related because they showed rock-solid 60FPS framerates in ePSXe during the slowdowns, regardless of GPU plugin chosen or options. So it wasn't that the GPU was taking too long to render the frame (confirmed by uncapping the framerate and seeing it jump to triple digits during the slowdowns).

These slowdowns always happened in the same part of the game. For FFVII, it was during the battle intro camera truck. For WipEout 1, it was being on certain parts of the track looking in a particular direction. I'm not sure about FFVII, but the WipEout 1 slowdowns appeared to definitely be tied to draw distance.

In any case, switching to sssPSX fixed both.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.